User Tag List

View Poll Results: Did you have imaginary friend(s) when you were a child?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am an INTROVERT and I DID

13 27.08%
  • I am an INTROVERT and I DID NOT

23 47.92%
  • I am an EXTRAVERT and I DID

1 2.08%
  • I am an EXTRAVERT and I DID NOT

7 14.58%
  • I am a SENSOR and I DID

3 6.25%
  • I am an SENSOR and I DID NOT

5 10.42%
  • I am an INTUITIVE and I DID

10 20.83%
  • I am an INTUITIVE and I DID NOT

26 54.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 5678 Last

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    I don't care if it fulfills parameters imposed by oneself, others, no one, I just like for people to create. To let something come alive again. I think of it as treatment for, rather than symptom of, all different kinds of hurts that come along with this human condition.
    Spoken like an artist. I'm sorry, I know this wasn't directed at me, I just had to comment. That was beautiful.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Okay, I follow you, I think. I'm not asking you to change how you feel. But if you find it a symptom of some sad situation, does that mean its up for ridicule? Just curious.
    It's up for me to say how I feel about it. "Pathetic" sounds harsh. If I said it "evokes pity" instead, which means the same thing, that's less harsh I suppose. I didn't mean it in a joking or facetious way either, I was serious.

The thing about playing with Ninja Turtles or stuffed animals isn't different. Its the toy that pulls something in you. You could say you were playing with the toy, but the toy was playing with you in a way, too. This play is organic and natural. The toys or ordinary objects or imaginary friends are "alive" in a way that is experienced, not thought out. This is how I see it as being like art. But I understand others opinions will differ.
    The Ninja Turtles are related to the elaborate imaginary friend... but the latter is much more of an escape from reality. A child might use any kind of coping mechanism, including imaginary lives and imaginary friends.. which is sad to me. And I just see imaginary friends in some cases attempts to fill a void a parent or peers or life aren't filling.

As far as writing, that might be another place where we fall into different camps. I don't believe imagination or play or creativity (by children OR adults) has to be for some utilitarian purpose as designated by other people. Overthinking about purpose and planning, utility and structure is the quickest path to writers block for some minds. Writers (or any artists) who don't get a chance to use that creative muscle for "non-useful/purposeful" exercises can quickly become seized up and discouraged. Some authors talk about how their characters found them, rather than how they logically engineered them for a precise utility. So, just personally, I don't care if it fulfills parameters imposed by oneself, others, no one, I just like for people to create. To let something come alive again. I think of it as treatment for, rather than symptom of, all
    different kinds of hurts that come along with this human condition.
    I'd actually argue that imagination, creative play, aimless wonder etc.. in kids (and adults) does serve a completely utilitarian (useful) purpose. It helps develop the mind and brain, and it's shown that it's key for kids to have that kind of stimulation early in life, or they become underdeveloped later in it.

When you really get into thinking about utilitarian thought, every action we take, even the weirdest among them, serves some utility.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Naw, I just bossed around my three younger siblings.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

That Christopher Robin was full of shit.

Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    SLI

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Yes!! I played with stuffed animals or other sorts of toys (horses) and gave them names and they had 'personalities'. Also, my brother and I would role-play and pretend we were various characters.

But I remember not really understanding the concept of an imaginary friend, because I would always know they weren't real, which would defeat my ability to have or desire one in the first place. My mind just didn't work that way. :confused:
    I know, I wondered how I would ever have a conversation with the imaginary friend if I knew everything it was going to say before it said it. How could I make the imaginary friend say unpredictable things? That's why real relationships are enjoyable, because the other person says something unexpected that you yourself would never say or do.

My brother and I had 'toy stories' too.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    SLI

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    I never invented an imaginary human friend, but I really believed my stuffed animals were alive for a long time. I knew I wasn't supposed to act like I thought they were alive, but I secretly did. I had just invested so much of my own feelings and imagination into them, they seemed alive to me, and if my mom made me put them in the drawer I always felt REALLY guilty. I used to apologize to them afterward, and explain my situation to them. I even worried about them thinking I had a favourite, so I would make sure I played with them all equally and reassured them that I valued them all.

My parents used to insist I donate some to charity every now and then, and I would just explode into tears if they made me do it. One time I lost a bear on a family vacation and mourned him for a few years. Another time, my mom sold my rabbit and mouse at a yard sale when I was 7, and she asked the lady who bought them if she had children, and when the lady said that they were just going to be chew toys for her dog, I made such a scene the lady felt too sorry to keep them. Looking back I am a bit embarrassed by my behavior.

Watching Toy Story just made things worse for me and I worried that I had a mental problem because my mom would get mad at me for still having stuffed animals. I probably did not completely shake the notion until I was like 15. My ISTP father was embarrassed by this behavior in his oldest son.
    I still can't treat stuffed animals as though they are inanimate objects, and I'm 36 years old. I worry about whether they can 'breathe' if they are in a tight place and I don't like to see them in an uncomfortable position. I identified with the Toy Story movie too.

Now I can't explain this, but I used to feel the same way about toothbrushes. Nothing else, just toothbrushes. For some reason I hated to throw them in the garbage and I felt sorry for them and felt like they were sad and lost and abandoned. So if anybody threw away my toothbrush and got me a new one I would pull it out of the trash and hide it in a hoard in the cabinet in the bathroom. Mom tolerated the toothbrush hoard for a few years but eventually she threw them all away. I somehow managed to disconnect from having personal feelings for toothbrushes because it doesn't bother me anymore hahah but stuffed toys still do.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    SLI

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    had tons of them, but they are all adults now
    'they,' the imaginary friends, are adults now? or did i miss the beginning of this conversation?

so the imaginary friends grew up, and had imaginary children, who are now the imaginary friends of other real children

maybe I should start putting all my quote responses into one single post so that i don't make three or four posts in a row

no. i have imaginary conversations with people i like though.
    still do it today.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

never had any, I did pray a few times as a child though.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Charnette View Post
    I talk to animals till today.
    I always talk to my cat and sometimes she talks back. Too bad the only language she speaks is Cattish, and I dom't speak Cattish.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.