User Tag List

View Poll Results: Did you have imaginary friend(s) when you were a child?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am an INTROVERT and I DID

13 27.08%
  • I am an INTROVERT and I DID NOT

23 47.92%
  • I am an EXTRAVERT and I DID

1 2.08%
  • I am an EXTRAVERT and I DID NOT

7 14.58%
  • I am a SENSOR and I DID

3 6.25%
  • I am an SENSOR and I DID NOT

5 10.42%
  • I am an INTUITIVE and I DID

10 20.83%
  • I am an INTUITIVE and I DID NOT

26 54.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 45678 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

do the other kids still live ? xD
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Fixed it so there's less ambiguity.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

you fixed em so they'ld follow your will ? Nice !!!

You sound like a great kid to play with

Oberon

I had some real live people that I imagined were my friends. Does that count?

Stuffed kids...mmmm...delish! First play, then meal.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I had some real live people that I imagined were my friends. Does that count?
    I am still your friend *hug* :~

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    I used to make my stuffed animals come alive to entertain other kids but knew the stuffies weren't alive. Also didn't have an imaginary friend.
    Yes!! I played with stuffed animals or other sorts of toys (horses) and gave them names and they had 'personalities'. Also, my brother and I would role-play and pretend we were various characters.

But I remember not really understanding the concept of an imaginary friend, because I would always know they weren't real, which would defeat my ability to have or desire one in the first place. My mind just didn't work that way. :confused:
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Hmmm. I didn't have imaginary friends per se. I don't know if this counts or not.

I made up imaginary scenarios that I "lived through", and imaginary machines that I "invented" in my head and would pretend I was using. (a conveyor belt that I could put my garbage on, and this robot that would take out the trash for me. I told my mom I didn't have to take out the trash anymore, and asked her to wait because I was busy building my robot that'd do it for me. ) I also thought that I could communicate with trees and the wind. On any given day, you could find me in my front yard having a conversation with my "best friend" the Dogwood tree.

I remember the wallpaper border in my playroom growing up was The Little Mermaid theme. I imagined jumping into the border and living under the sea with Ariel. I considered her my friend.

I used to ask Santa Claus for magic powers every Christmas so I could have gills and go live underwater IRL... among other reasons.

I'm beginning to understand why the neighborhood kids thought I was strange.

Enneagram

I never invented an imaginary human friend, but I really believed my stuffed animals were alive for a long time. I knew I wasn't supposed to act like I thought they were alive, but I secretly did. I had just invested so much of my own feelings and imagination into them, they seemed alive to me, and if my mom made me put them in the drawer I always felt REALLY guilty. I used to apologize to them afterward, and explain my situation to them. I even worried about them thinking I had a favourite, so I would make sure I played with them all equally and reassured them that I valued them all.

My parents used to insist I donate some to charity every now and then, and I would just explode into tears if they made me do it. One time I lost a bear on a family vacation and mourned him for a few years. Another time, my mom sold my rabbit and mouse at a yard sale when I was 7, and she asked the lady who bought them if she had children, and when the lady said that they were just going to be chew toys for her dog, I made such a scene the lady felt too sorry to keep them. Looking back I am a bit embarrassed by my behavior.

Watching Toy Story just made things worse for me and I worried that I had a mental problem because my mom would get mad at me for still having stuffed animals. I probably did not completely shake the notion until I was like 15. My ISTP father was embarrassed by this behavior in his oldest son.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I used the word pathetic describing imaginary friends, so maybe ur kinda addressing me, or me and the others who have been dismissive of imaginary friends.

I can't help how I feel Vasilisa! Thinking about a kid with imaginary friends evokes pity from me. I can't help but think the children that create imaginary friends do so because something is lacking in their life. Maybe parent-child neglect, no friends, lack of stimulation, etc. I'm sure it's usually harmless and a short phase w/ most kids, but I still find it sad. I mean, I played with Ninja Turtles, but I didn't have an invisible kid named Jeffrey who I turned to for comfort, that lived in my belly button whenever an adult came in the room, and that kept me company.

Creating a character for a book in your mind, which is kinda like creating imaginary friends, at least has utility and a real purpose, i.e. the novel.
    Okay, I follow you, I think. I'm not asking you to change how you feel. But if you find it a symptom of some sad situation, does that mean its up for ridicule? Just curious.

The thing about playing with Ninja Turtles or stuffed animals isn't different. Its the toy that pulls something in you. You could say you were playing with the toy, but the toy was playing with you in a way, too. This play is organic and natural. The toys or ordinary objects or imaginary friends are "alive" in a way that is experienced, not thought out. This is how I see it as being like art. But I understand others opinions will differ.

As far as writing, that might be another place where we fall into different camps. I don't believe imagination or play or creativity (by children OR adults) has to be for some utilitarian purpose as designated by other people. Overthinking about purpose and planning, utility and structure is the quickest path to writers block for some minds. Writers (or any artists) who don't get a chance to use that creative muscle for "non-useful/purposeful" exercises can quickly become seized up and discouraged. Some authors talk about how their characters found them, rather than how they logically engineered them for a precise utility. So, just personally, I don't care if it fulfills parameters imposed by oneself, others, no one, I just like for people to create. To let something come alive again. I think of it as treatment for, rather than symptom of, all different kinds of hurts that come along with this human condition.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism