User Tag List

View Poll Results: Did you have imaginary friend(s) when you were a child?

48. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am an INTROVERT and I DID

13 27.08%
  • I am an INTROVERT and I DID NOT

23 47.92%
  • I am an EXTRAVERT and I DID

1 2.08%
  • I am an EXTRAVERT and I DID NOT

7 14.58%
  • I am a SENSOR and I DID

3 6.25%
  • I am an SENSOR and I DID NOT

5 10.42%
  • I am an INTUITIVE and I DID

10 20.83%
  • I am an INTUITIVE and I DID NOT

26 54.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Imaginary friends as children

My ifriends were mainly cartoon characters or characters from stories. I used to think of various storylines for our adventures.

I still do sometimes.

I had a friend that stole my matchbox cars. That prick was an imaginary friend.

Tier 1 Member Array LunaLuminosity's Avatar
    7w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I read " making imaginary friends as chickens"
    Hehehe, I didn't make any of my imaginary friends as chickens, but one of the two that I had was half-duck.

The other one was a ghost girl.

This is when I was four, and I didn't play with them. They were just there sometimes and I drew pictures of them. Then they ran away soon after.

I answered in the poll that I DID have imaginary friends. But it wasn't quite like many other people's descriptions of them.

I wasn't actually able to see a visual hallucination that nobody else could see. If I pretended anything, my eyes saw nothing there.

There was a time period when I drew a cartoon dog named Luke. Luke and his group of dog friends lived on a planet called Darcon. I created Darcon after watching the movie 'The Neverending Story,' so it was similar to Fantasia in that movie - a place where people's fantasies go to really exist. I created it because I didn't like it that some of my old childhood drawings had been thrown in the trash, so I wanted the drawings to have a fantasy world where they would always exist forever even if the drawings were destroyed.

My best friend in middle school read my fantasy stories while I was writing them, and we both got into it so much that we'd be driving in the car and I'd point out a crumbling old building or someplace that looked like a place where Luke the dog would live.

Then there was the goddess of that world, the Zoquix, which was a word that I made up using the least-used letters of the alphabet (I think that was after I looked at the letter blocks in a Scrabble game and noticed that some letters were more unusual than others). She was a blue and silver cheetah with wings. Her arch-enemy was the Chelton Zix, an evil sadistic black lion with wings.

I didn't really 'believe' in them completely, but in a way I sort of did believe in them, and the world of Darcon.

I also had monsters in the basement called Freakabomps, which my brother John and I made up as a joke to scare my friend who lived next door. The word came from the song 'Freakazoid' mixed with the word 'bomp' because we were teasing the kid next door about saying 'bomp' instead of 'bump.' I actually got scared when I went in the basement even though they were imaginary.

As an adult I 'hear voices,' but that's very different from what I did when I was a child... not the same as a voluntary fantasy.

I'd actually like to write a fiction story someday and finish it. I never finished the fantasies I used to write. Now that I know about personality type systems, I would have a tool to use for creating believable characters. That's one reason why I'm so interested in personality types.

Banned Array

When I was really young it was Curious George and we played lots of hide from the Man in Yellow Hat, games..

When I got a bit older I had this stuffed toy frog named Appolo, Who I actually took on solitary bike rides with over the summer and toboggan runs over the winter, until the puppy (who hung around for 19 years) got a hold of him one day and tore him to shreds. ( Childhood trauma , seriously ) which is why when I read Calvin and Hobbes the first time, a little part of me felt validated and understood

I used to beat on kids that had imaginary friends.

"What a load of BS" , I used to think. It just seemed like such an unreasonable waste of time; fake, imaginary anything was too...idiotic. :/

I had friends in school, so I never felt the need to create them, but at home, If I felt like I needed a friend, I usually forced the slugs to play with me...

Slugs= older sisters.

5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by penny89 View Post
    I think it's still pretty rational if you know they're imaginary...
    only if you use Fi to rationalize it
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Minister of Propagandhi Array ajblaise's Avatar

The poll results look clear to me... it was the INF kids with the imaginary friends, and the INTs tended not to have them. I just think, and thought back then, that imaginary friends were pathetic lol.

Just one more thing that makes me feel sorry INFs in life I suppose.... I also bet there are a few grown up INFs who still hang out w/ their imaginary friends, and then try to sign them up to TypeC... trust me, I see the dupe account attempts. heh

Extroverts really didn't participate in this thread poll hmmm..... maybe it's the hate-to-be-alone Es who had the most imaginary friends especially when they couldnt find real ones... like little ENF kids addressing their dozens of fake friends and carrying on like usual... getting in drama with them, lol.

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

I can't say I had "imaginary friends."

I did have a bunch of stuffed animals that I was fond of, but I can't say I had conversations with them and played with them as if they were actual people and created some imaginary "other" in order to have someone to relate to.

I just explored the world instead.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

also I dont think role playing as a child really counts, I mean it is sort of imaginary though...

Even when we used to play "house" as kids, I'd always play the Husband.