User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 63

  1. #31
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Not related to my current concern.

    Give me a yes or no: Are you even going to bother making a case for yourself in relation to my topic?
    LOL. What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  2. #32
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    not to offer a piece of sensibility here, but if you're advising people to ignore conflict, why not just ignore those who are in dumb conflicts?
    Ehh, I'm not quite asking for a rejection of all conflict. Some conflict is okay.

    Also, I don't see every problem as being solved by looking the other way. I actually really hate it when people say "the best thing to do with a troll is put them on ignore". Nonsense. You should ban them. And that idea is actually one of the reasons people here don't need to get into fights so much. If someone is really a dick, you can do better than get thrown away with them. You can walk away a silently have a mark put their heads. It works out better for all (except for the person that gets banned).

    Furthermore... look at said comment about standing for an idea in the way of those who actively completely reject it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    LOL. What do you think?
    Okay then.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  3. #33
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,131

    Default

    I just don't find other people arguing with one another about stupid things important enough to get my panties (he he... that's for you fidelia!) in a bunch about
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  4. #34
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    But anyway, on the subject of results, it seems none of you want to make an effort to explain anyhow.
    Care to clarify what you meant by that? I'm actually not sure what you're asking for.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I actually really hate it when people say "the best thing to do with a troll is put them on ignore". Nonsense. You should ban them.
    How would you define troll?

    You are aware that you have a few attributes (such as the lecturing/hall-monitor thing, or the way you've kept leaning on the horn and not let some topics go) that people could define as trollish at times? There's a pretty decent chance you could have banned under your own style of rules -- bye bye Magic. It's not like we've never received reports on you by other members via the automated report system.

    But even if you can be disruptive or derailing at times (not recently as much as a ways back in the first year or two you were around), you have contributed some valuable input and comments to the forum... and even some of the provocative ideas you've had can stir up worthwhile conversation that increases forum participation and thus benefits the forum and draws in new members. Does that make you a good member or a bad member, in the end? We choose to see it as good overall.

    The problem with banning everyone who creates some level of chaos is that eventually all you have is perfect order... and complete boredom and inactivity as well. And then the forum dies.

    Necessarily, then, the line has to be drawn somewhere in the middle... and that middle can seem muddy due to the diverse personalities we have on this forum. Of course each member sees that line in a different spot if THEY were in charge... but unfortunately those of us who get to make those decisions also get to share the blame if we inadvertently gut the forum of its life energy by over-banning/restricting members when unnecessary.

    So some of you have other opinions of how various posters should be handled. Fine. That is your prerogative, and if you were in this position, then it would definitely be your responsibility to carry and not someone else's, and you would be making these decisions.

    Meanwhile, I still think it's excellent advice to anyone to never even put the mod staff in a position where we NEED to evaluate a balance sheet for them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  5. #35
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    Hypocrite. Take your own fucking advice.

    EDIT.
    Pretty sure you wouldn't. Because I'm even less inclined to take shit from self-righteous busy-bodies IRL. And I reckon...
    woah woah woah woah woah...
    who the hell reckons anymore?
    we fukin won boys

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    I don't really see any issue with allowing conflict as long as it is done in the appropriate space. Other members doesn't need to view it unless they choose to. I think direct confrontations to clear the air is less harmful than the sustained passive aggressiveness that can ruin the atmosphere of the forum. It's no different than real life.

  7. #37
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Care to clarify what you meant by that? I'm actually not sure what you're asking for.
    Obviously recent events related to this would be Zarathustra and Marmie, and then Salome and InvisibleJim getting banned. They engaged in arguments that had no apparent greater aim and were inflammatory and insulting in virtually every post made. While it was clear that the parties involved were aggravated, even expressing an intention to disengage, they continued anyway. It was highly predictable that this would result in at least some infractions, if not the full bans (of course, even just infractions or a small ban means you're even closer to a permanent ban), and they continued anyway.

    Being that this is generally dissatisfying behavior that has no apparent point, even in the interest of those involved, I'd really like to hear an honest explanation of what this is all about.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  8. #38
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Obviously recent events related to this would be Zarathustra and Marmie, and then Salome and InvisibleJim getting banned. They engaged in arguments that had no apparent greater aim and were inflammatory and insulting in virtually every post made. While it was clear that the parties involved were aggravated, even expressing an intention to disengage, they continued anyway. It was highly predictable that this would result in at least some infractions, if not the full bans (of course, even just infractions or a small ban means you're even closer to a permanent ban), and they continued anyway.

    Being that this is generally dissatisfying behavior that has no apparent point, even in the interest of those involved, I'd really like to hear an honest explanation of what this is all about.
    So why are you asking the entire forum and boring everyone in the process? Why not privately PM the people you mention, if such understanding really is your intention?
    Just because you don't understand the "apparent point", doesn't mean there is no point. There is always method in my madness. And whilst getting banned from this place might be your idea of the seventh circle of hell, some of us manage to cope and live relatively well-adjusted lives in spite it.
    So, don't worry your wee head too much about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cappie View Post
    woah woah woah woah woah...
    who the hell reckons anymore?
    Pay attention. I has impressive reckoning skillz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  9. #39
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Arguments aren't always bad. I learned a lot about function theory from Simulated World, despite the outward appearance of us being at one another's throats. He pushed me because he wanted me to learn, and knew that I had the capacity to do so.

    With JTG ... um...I don't know. The verbal sparring was fun and playful at first and then got out of hand. A lot of our quarelling wasn't real, it was just bickering for fun, and when it did get bad it's because one or the other of us took something the wrong way. Or because he was trying to push my buttons and I was having a bad day.

    With Zara...the thing is, he started saying that I should apologize and that I was a petulant child and it infuriated me that he started making the argument so ridiculously personal. It made me mad because I considered him something of a friend up until that point. I was being emotional. My bad.

  10. #40
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Arguments aren't always bad. I learned a lot about function theory from Simulated World, despite the outward appearance of us being at one another's throats. He pushed me because he wanted me to learn, and knew that I had the capacity to do so.
    You really think that intention was the root of him calling people retards and such? Maybe he taught you something, but I'm pretty sure we'd all agree he could have taught people about it without the vitriol. In fact, without it, he probably could have taught a lot more people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    With JTG ... um...I don't know. The verbal sparring was fun and playful at first and then got out of hand. A lot of our quarelling wasn't real, it was just bickering for fun, and when it did get bad it's because one or the other of us took something the wrong way. Or because he was trying to push my buttons and I was having a bad day.
    And you have to admit I said that was going to happen more than once. This particular guess is definitely one of things I have in mind (and that ass still constantly tries to show up here to be a nuisance). There isn't any outward way to tell if the fighting is in jest or not, and even when you say it is, oh ho ho ho, you realize you don't even know it's in jest anymore, and it all goes sour. Predictable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    With Zara...the thing is, he started saying that I should apologize and that I was a petulant child and it infuriated me that he started making the argument so ridiculously personal. It made me mad because I considered him something of a friend up until that point. I was being emotional. My bad.
    So what you're saying is that you considered that incident of greater personal importance and your emotions got the better of you against your own judgment.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

Similar Threads

  1. [Enne] What's so hard about being your type?
    By themightyfetus in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 02-08-2016, 09:57 PM
  2. What's so great about California?
    By Oom in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 03:24 PM
  3. What's So Awesome About Your Life Right Now?
    By RansomedbyFire in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 01:13 AM
  4. What's so bad about wanting a Union job?
    By miss fortune in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-18-2008, 11:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO