User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default A good old-fashioned creepout

I just found the following link on Fark:

How creepy do you want it? / The famously eerie tale of nine dead Russian hikers, with all the bizarre details you can handle

It's a story of nine young (early 20s) hikers in the Ural Mountains in 1959 who got caught in a blizzard. They made camp and waited for the storm to blow over. There is a link to the photos they took at their campsite in the article- they appeared to be having a good time, didn't appear worried or anything like that.

Sometime during the night, an "unknown compelling force" (that was the OFFICIAL term used by the investigators) forced the campers to cut open their tents from the inside and run away from the campsite in their socks and underwear, into -30C weather. Obviously, they died of hypothermia. But what caused them to run? And why were some of the campers found with massive internal trauma, but no external injuries? And why had their skin been turned dark tan or orange, and their hair completely grey?

And why was one of them missing her tongue?

It's the middle of the day and I'm creeped out! I love it. What are your favorite creepy TRUE stories (not urban legends!)?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

This is a true story and creepy for me since I love this song and had no idea what it was about!

Lubbock Avalanche-Journal 1997

Missing elderly couple found dead

DALLAS - A couple who left their east Texas home for a fiddling festival 15 miles away were found dead in their car in Arkansas, a wrenching end to two weeks of searching by police and relatives.
    Lela and Raymond Howard, both in their 80s, apparently became disoriented and eventually drove their Oldsmobile off the road near Hot Springs, Ark., more than 350 miles from their home, police said. Their bodies were found Saturday in their car, which was hidden by dense brush.
    Rhonda Alford, 43, one of Mrs. Howard's five grandchildren, said the woman's 57-year-old son had implored her to let him make the drive from Salado to Temple on June 28.
    ''He was begging her, 'Let me take you,''' Mrs. Alford said. ''She said, 'No, we know where to go. We go every year.'''
    Family members said if there was any consolation, they found it in knowing the two were together when they died.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFP

Re: Dyatlov Pass Accident

Wow.. That's super creepy. That's gonna be a hard thought to shake next time I go hiking..

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I just found the following link on Fark:

How creepy do you want it? / The famously eerie tale of nine dead Russian hikers, with all the bizarre details you can handle

It's a story of nine young (early 20s) hikers in the Ural Mountains in 1959 who got caught in a blizzard...
    So any ideas as to what might have happened? I'm leaning towards aliens.

MBTI
    INFP

The whole tongue removal thing is what makes me think an outsider(s) happened upon their party.. it takes a psychotic level of detachment to be able to remove someone's tongue.. and the fact that they ran almost a mile away from their camp in that cold weather convinces me further that someone had dropped in on them.. you wouldn't run that far if your friend Bob went batshit.. you'd probably try and fight him.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I think it's pretty obvious that monster-driven (edit: telepathically, of course) UFOs were involved. The radiation is a clue.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

creepy... I cross country ski and hike a lot

It would almost make you think that they'd gone temporarily crazy if they were willing to leave in such a state of undress in weather like that- wonder what they ate and what had gone on beforehand and such? There wasn't much info on the injuries and the missing tongue merely seemed to be an afterthought to mention- I suppose there could be a perfectly logical explanation if we only knew more details

Reminds me of my weird love of watching things like Unsolved Mysteries and A Haunting (disc channel show) just to disturb myself
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    The whole tongue removal thing is what makes me think an outsider(s) happened upon their party.. it takes a psychotic level of detachment to be able to remove someone's tongue.. and the fact that they ran almost a mile away from their camp in that cold weather convinces me further that someone had dropped in on them.. you wouldn't run that far if your friend Bob went batshit.. you'd probably try and fight him.
    I would imagine that if it were 9 against 1, the hikers wouldn't have run off but rather stayed and kicked some psychopath ass. Something scared the life out of them and I'm thinking it had to be supernatural/extra terrestrial.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Very cool. (Well, not for them...!) But I love getting creeped out.

In any case, it sounds like Yuri Yudin got the good end of the deal. (He was hiker #10 who got sick and went home three days before the incident occurred.)

It was also very intriguing that two were found around the remains of a fire. In other words, they had time to try and warm themselves... and chose that route instead of trying to go back...? Why was it worse to go back? (Although a few of them did make the attempt and did not make it.) The reports suggested some of them might have been blinded... so perhaps building the fire was the best option if they couldn't see, and the others struggled uphill anyway but never made it to the tents.

So three bodies were found seemingly in an attempt to get back to the camp (they were between the camp and the fire remains). Two were found dead at the pine tree around the fire remains. The last four were found buried under feet of snow later in a stream valley past the pine tree (further downslope) under lots of snow... and these were the ones who were damaged internally.

They seemingly were not damaged when they left the tents. So did they get internally crushed from whatever swept their bodies down into the valley? I don't know.

The missing tongue of course just adds to the Creep Factor... and it's one of those that is so bizarre, you really want to see it validated before accepting it because it really screws up potential patterns/solutions. (Would an animal eat just one person's tongue, for example, and leave the eyes and other soft parts behind?)

The radiation/explosion is a possibility. And in a storm, where an avalanche could easily cause death, the noise would have just told them to get out of Dodge... and if there was an explosion, they might have been blinded by it, meaning they could not get back. I don't know.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Well they do say that 5-10% of the universe is likely to support some type of life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.