User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Edit: Of course, maybe it was just simply a small-scale nuclear weapon test.
    I'd wager that was it. This could have caused extreme heat and radiation and would explain why they ran outside, to "cool off". The internal impact of the three that died, plus their orange skin and grey hair, suggests they died of radiation. The rest of them were apparently blinded and died of hypothermia. And maybe the one with the missing tongue cut or bit it off to die faster... which would be understandable.

This is a fascinating story, I can't believe someone hasn't made a movie about it.

So much of the evidence seems sketchy. I think it's easy in this case to jump to supernatural theories to explain things that at first seem inexplicable. Any UFO-based explanation seems fantastical to me, so I tried to come up with a theory based on natural phenomena.

I like the idea of a meteor strike. It would explain so much of the evidence:

* It would be indistinguishable from a giant explosion and flash of light, and might be scary enough to make everyone flee immediately.

* It would explain the radiation.

* It would explain the "metal ring" around the site.

* It would explain why some of the party apparently tried to return to the campsite...it seems to me that no one would try to return if the source of the fear were any kind of creature, alien or human threat.

* It would explain why the site was closed off for three years - the Russians might have worried about biological contamination from any microorganisms or unknown poisonous gases contained in the meteor.

I think the best explanation for the bodies with internal injuries is that they were separated from the rest of the group and were victims of an avalanche. A meteor strike could have caused several avalanches, and the bodies were found buried in snow. Wet snow is easily heavy enough to cause those kind of injuries, and without external damage.

I think that the blindness explanations are weak...I think the same evidence points to simple disorientation due to panic, shock and the fact that it was dark out in a remote area.

Finally, I think the tongue is a red herring. Anything could have happened...she could have bit her tongue in fear, tripped and bit her tongue, etc.

The only thing I find unexplained by my theory is the colored skin and gray hair. But I suspect that the families weren't used to seeing dead bodies exposed to the elements like that, and perhaps these stories are exaggerated.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

A lot of these explanations sound plausible. One thing still bugs me:

It said some were found huddled around the remains of a campfire (but were evidently disoriented or blinded because they attempted to use green branches for the fire rather than the dry brush nearby). I'm wondering why a panicked camper who doesn't have time to put on two shoes or a jacket would think to grab a lighter or match or flint stone for starting a fire--especially if they were running away from some kind of excessive heat.

If they cut their way out of the tents, then someone would have likely had a knife for cutting branches or brush. But it takes a lot of care to build a fire in the snow--patience and watchfulness and clear thinking, unless you have a load of kerosene or lighter fluid to pour over it. Odd that they were thinking clearly enough to build the fire, but then started tearing down green branches for it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Another thing that has always given me a creepy feeling: Pompeii.

I remember National Geographic had an article on Pompeii when I was about 7 or 8, I think. I spent hours looking at the photos, imagining what it must have been like to be one of those people, and shuddering to myself.

Then when I was a teen I saw Pink Floyd's Live at Pompeii which revived my interest.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Hmmm, now we are venturing partly into the Mutter museum territory (in Philly, PA).

Or the popular exhibits currently showing various preserved human bodies in various stages of dissection.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Heck yes. I'd love to go there sometime. Have you been? I know MacGuffin has, he posted pics in his blog on INTPC.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Heck yes. I'd love to go there sometime. Have you been? I know MacGuffin has, he posted pics in his blog on INTPC.
    I think I remember when he did that. (He took them clandestinely, through his cell phone or something, didn't he? The sneak... but it worked!)

Haven't been in it, I've been very near it. I should go sometime, maybe 30Shackles and I can hit it up soon. (She'd be into that sort of creepazoid stuff.)

There's also a museum of thousands of items actually extracted from people by doctors. Lots of... unexpected things.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTx

Even inside their tent why would they have been without thick clothing, socks etc. if it's -30 C?

It's a conspiracy. The whole story's a hoax.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Even inside their tent why would they have been without thick clothing, socks etc. if it's -30 C?
    Well, that's obviously the question. Certain drugs can make you feel overheated. Radiation probably could make you very hot in a hurry. If your clothing gets wet in temperatures like that, you'd be better to take off the clothes than to wear wet ones. If your clothes were contaminated with chemicals, you might remove them.

MBTI
    ISTx

Drugs sounds plausible. What else is there to do with a bunch of people in a tent in freezing weather?