User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I think the most likely explanation is described in the article in The Moscow Times:

It does seem like there was a government attempt to change perception by altering the scene, probably to keep the nature of the weapon secret. Making an secret infrasonic weapon appear to be a nuclear one seems like an excellent strategy at that time. It made sense that they wanted to keep their nuclear weapons testing a secret, so deeper investigation into the nature of the weapon was discouraged by using radioactivity as a cover.

Give the right people the right details, and they'll generate a great cover story which appears genuine and holds up well, even under the influence of drugs and polygraph testing.

Edit: Of course, maybe it was just simply a small-scale nuclear weapon test.
    That seems plausible. Since in the end there seems to be a lot of details missing from all of it.

I guess I just have a hard time finding any stories like the ones posted here as freaky. Just more or less lacking the needed info to explain it properly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's possible. As Ender says, part of the problem is that, while there is an inference of having a lot of details, we have no good way to validate (1) whether all the important data has been collected and (2) what data is accurate.

And with potential ulterior motives to influence what data was leaked, it is very difficult to know the truth.

Just makes you wish you could time-warp there and see it all first-hand.
    There is also the factor of hypothermia and hallucinations to factor in. What seems like weird behaviour to those of us sitting in the warm has no comparison to the reality of freezing to death - and how people in such situations often behave, like taking all their clothes of and seemingly choosing to die away from the chance of salvation.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

That is indeed a quite mysterious story, but as for as creepouts go, Ed Kemper is where it's at.
    Not really.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's possible. As Ender says, part of the problem is that, while there is an inference of having a lot of details, we have no good way to validate (1) whether all the important data has been collected and (2) what data is accurate.

And with potential ulterior motives to influence what data was leaked, it is very difficult to know the truth.

Just makes you wish you could time-warp there and see it all first-hand.
    Add to that (3) Theres no linking as to what data goes where and how the data ties into other data.

Yup need a time machine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Yup need a time machine.
    Maybe that's what it was?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    That is indeed a quite mysterious story, but as for as creepouts go, Ed Kemper is where it's at.
    Ed's great.

What's his IQ, anyway? He's supposed to be ravingly intelligent.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Wikipedia cites it as 136 with a cute "citation needed" mark.
    Not really.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Wikipedia cites it as 136 with a cute "citation needed" mark.
    Ah, okay. Thought it was higher.

I have a book about him ("Without Conscience"? not sure if that is the title). There he went and did all those awful things, realized he actually just wanted to kill his mum, did it, then turned himself in... and that's where he's been ever since.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Teleute View Post
    Ah, okay. Thought it was higher.

I have a book about him ("Without Conscience"? not sure if that is the title). There he went and did all those awful things, realized he actually just wanted to kill his mum, did it, then turned himself in... and that's where he's been ever since.
    (Yeah.)

136 is still pretty high, IMO! Though I only say that because mine is probably a bit lower than that.

I think he sums himself up quite well in this quote:
    "One side of me says, 'Wow, what an attractive chick. I'd like to talk to her, date her.' The other side of me says, 'I wonder how her head would look on a stick."
    I've also read this interview. Interesting, the book's title that you cite. "Without Conscience" carries all kind of negative connotations, but in his case, none of those would be truly applicable.
    Not really.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

136 is still pretty high, IMO! Though I only say that because mine is probably a bit lower than that.
    Definitely enough for most "gifted programs" ... and isn't the Mensa cut off at 130?

I have such mixed feelings about him... because he did some pretty horrible things to women (let alone family members)... but at the same time he seems very self-aware and has a "big picture" perspective where he can see what he did in unglorious terms. So sits there and critiques himself, decides impassionately that he should have been given the death penalty and was disappointed he didn't get it, etc.

Still, he does some somewhat narcissistic that way -- it's almost like he doesn't know really how to connect with others in an emotional way, so instead he sits and analyzes and observes himself and then talks about that so that he has something to say.

He seems to be more the sort of who either was born with a crossed wire or had something burned out of him at a young age... rather than the nut who hates people and wants to dominate everyone he meets out of pure spite.

I guess to tie this back to the "creep factor" -- he's at least 6'6" and towers over most people he meets. Imagine being in a locked room with him, soft-spoken as he is... and wondering if he is just impassionately going to decide to do you in. (eeep)