First 1234 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Well they do say that 5-10% of the universe is likely to support some type of life.
    Which part are we in?

The story of the Mary Celeste always creeped me out as a kid.

(The Amityville Horror did too... but then it became pretty clear it was fake. Still, my parents got the tabloids and I actually remember reading the original stories as they ran, about Amityville. Stupid tabloids.)

And the BTK serial killer always was fascinating, I read a lot about him... so I was very blown away when he (Dennis Rader) was finally caught a few years ago. For the longest time, it seemed like he had gotten away with things. (No one ever did truly solve Zodiac.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Which part are we in?
    Obviously the part that supports life lol.. Actually I'm not quite sure what your asking with your question?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Obviously the part that supports life lol.. Actually I'm not quite sure what your asking with your question?
    nothing, really... just being typically quirky.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    This is a true story and creepy for me since I love this song and had no idea what it was about!

Lubbock Avalanche-Journal 1997

Missing elderly couple found dead

DALLAS - A couple who left their east Texas home for a fiddling festival 15 miles away were found dead in their car in Arkansas, a wrenching end to two weeks of searching by police and relatives.
    Lela and Raymond Howard, both in their 80s, apparently became disoriented and eventually drove their Oldsmobile off the road near Hot Springs, Ark., more than 350 miles from their home, police said. Their bodies were found Saturday in their car, which was hidden by dense brush.
    Rhonda Alford, 43, one of Mrs. Howard's five grandchildren, said the woman's 57-year-old son had implored her to let him make the drive from Salado to Temple on June 28.
    ''He was begging her, 'Let me take you,''' Mrs. Alford said. ''She said, 'No, we know where to go. We go every year.'''
    Family members said if there was any consolation, they found it in knowing the two were together when they died.
    Yes! I know that story, and that song, because my great-uncle and his wife, both not in the best mental or physical condition, went missing a few years ago under similar circumstances. They were going to a local restaurant, and wanted to drive themselves as they had always done each Sunday, but their son had been trying to get them to stop driving. They went missing and were found several hundred miles away. She was disoriented and wandering down a road, and she rode with the police officer who soon found my great-uncle in the car a mile or so away with the doors open. I think they had run out of gas, waited there for awhile, and when she went for help she forgot what was going on.

Only their story was just kind of pathetic, not so much mysterious or creepy. I didn't know them very well because they were estranged from my side of the family.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

nothing, really... just being typically quirky.

Anyway, the hiking thing after a quick look at it (is technically at work) kinda seems to me that maybe one or two of them freaked out and took off and the rest just chased after them, the one shoe one some seem like they may have hesitated in getting dressed better. The distance thing and the fact some were on their way back kinda points to the fact that they possibly weren't "being chased" by anything and may have given up on chasing something instead, only too late to make it back given the weather and their attire.

The injuries make me think of beating someone with a phone book for some reason where the damage is primarily internal, the one with the missing tongue could be one of the ones that freaked out and took off, maybe they tripped and bite it off in their hurry? They just say it was missing, not really going into details as to how it was removed, or even if all or just part of it was.

There seems to be a lot of info missing. I kinda like the infrasound possibility to it all as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

...There seems to be a lot of info missing. I kinda like the infrasound possibility to it all as well.
    I thought that looked interesting too.. although I am guessing the skeptic society has beaten infrasound theory up a bit. (I think Mythbusters did something on it but it didn't seem to have too noticeable an effect on them.)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

Even if the Infrasound theory is debunked, and you looked at the fact that "a few of them" were found to have radioactive compounds on their clothing it's still missing all the info as to whether or not those few were the ones found furthest away or not. It could have been something they came into contact with that made some of them go nuts..

In the end stories like this are kinda pointless to try and figure out unless you have a highly detailed report on all of it. Going by just the wikipedia article leaves a lot of questions in my mind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Which part are we in?

The story of the Mary Celeste always creeped me out as a kid.

(The Amityville Horror did too... but then it became pretty clear it was fake. Still, my parents got the tabloids and I actually remember reading the original stories as they ran, about Amityville. Stupid tabloids.)

And the BTK serial killer always was fascinating, I read a lot about him... so I was very blown away when he (Dennis Rader) was finally caught a few years ago. For the longest time, it seemed like he had gotten away with things. (No one ever did truly solve Zodiac.)
    The Mary Celeste is a great one. It reminds me of another creepy ship story, the Franklin Expedition. They were looking the Northwest Passage, and went missing. Franklin's wife begged for a search party. What they found was truly weird- they had abandoned their ships, leaving crucial equipment on board, and tried to drag a lifeboat filled with things like books and handkerchiefs across the ice. They also tried to pull along a writing desk or something. They had engaged in cannibalism.

As it turned out their canned food was tainted with lead and they had all gotten lead poisoning, which lead to their altered mental status. They found some very well-preserved bodies there recently, which is how I heard the story- on a mummy show on TLC or something.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

I think the most likely explanation is described in the article in The Moscow Times:

Six former rescuers and 31 independent experts gathered Friday in Yekaterinburg to look for answers about the incident. They concluded that the military had been carrying out tests in the area and had inadvertantly caused the deaths.

But "we still lack documents and ask the Defense Ministry, the space agency and the FSB to provide us with them to obtain a full picture," the participants said in a statement.
    It does seem like there was a government attempt to change perception by altering the scene, probably to keep the nature of the weapon secret. Making an secret infrasonic weapon appear to be a nuclear one seems like an excellent strategy at that time. It made sense that they wanted to keep their nuclear weapons testing a secret, so deeper investigation into the nature of the weapon was discouraged by using radioactivity as a cover.

Give the right people the right details, and they'll generate a great cover story which appears genuine and holds up well, even under the influence of drugs and polygraph testing.

Edit: Of course, maybe it was just simply a small-scale nuclear weapon test.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    ...As it turned out their canned food was tainted with lead and they had all gotten lead poisoning, which lead to their altered mental status.
    That sort of possibility had come to mind too, with the hikers -- were there issues with the food (which they all might have shared) that would have led to group paranoia... or similar things that would have affected everyone individually at about the same time?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It's possible. As Ender says, part of the problem is that, while there is an inference of having a lot of details, we have no good way to validate (1) whether all the important data has been collected and (2) what data is accurate.

And with potential ulterior motives to influence what data was leaked, it is very difficult to know the truth.

Just makes you wish you could time-warp there and see it all first-hand.