User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I'm going home for a couple days, so there is like no food in there. Plus, most of my food consists of produce which is down in the drawers. :\

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    I'll have to take up the cudgels for you Americans for a moment. Most Americans I have met were far more aware of their diet than the average European and ate much healthier.
    Even the French are getting more and more lax. And the rest of us? Don't get me started. And I don't exclude myself from this! The world famous mediterranean diet? Maybe some Italians still practice it, don't know. They are they only ones that have impressed me in real life. I remember a group of Italian backpackers in Bergen, Noway, preparing a fresh fish in the hostal kitchen with hardly any utensils, improvising their way to a great meal. That's food culture. But Spain? They are supposed to have the highest fish consumption after the Portuguese, but when I lived there, it was mostly frozen fish croquettes. They love that stuff. And loads of meat fried in liters of oil and tortillas covered in seas of mayonaise. Olé!

As a rule of thumb, the more you move to the West or the more "Americanized" a country is (i.e. focused on practicality, fast life style, no time for long family dinners at the kitchen table, embracing innovative functional food products, etc.), the more people will rely on convenience food and junk. So while Americans seem to be more and more aware of health food, alas, Europeans move in the opposite direction.

No need to envy us.
    Teenagers here think three bags of chips, a packet of cookies, and a coke with high fructose corn syrup counts as "lunch." That's a bit worse than eating frozen fish croquettes.

I also think there may be a concept in Europe called "portion control."

I mean, I dunno, I'm not there, and I have read on-line that people in European countries are eating less and less healthy diets.

I did work in an Israeli grocery store, though, and yes I know that's Asia, but those people bought incredibly healthy groceries in comparison to the mainstream, corporate grocery store that I'm complaining about where I worked in college.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

^^ JUICY JUICE!!!! YES!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I once worked in an office close to a school and every time I went to the supemarket around the corner to get something for my lunch I would see those ten year olds buying chips and coke with their lunch money! My mum send me to school with rye bread and cheese sandwiches and an alternating apple or tangerine for years. I hated it, so I can empathize.

The thing about the Israeli grocery store doesn't suprise either. Over here it's the Turks that buy in their own little grocery stores. When schools do this test where they ask kids if they can name certain vegetables, the Turkish kids usually are far ahead of their German class mates. The whole region seems to eat much healthier. Hey, that reminds me, I should have my Iranian neigbors invite me for dinner some time!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, I know someone from Iran. He eats pretty healthy. I also know a Russian who eats really healthy. I once knew a guy from London who told me how freaked out he was by American portion sizes in restaurants when he first came here. But all of that is anecdotal, just because I met some people who eat healthier than the average American doesn't mean everyone in their country does, of course.

It's just traditionally speaking certain countries had healthier food. But apparently even the 1950's British diet (yes I said British, of all horrible fattening food places) is actually healthier and lower in fat than the modern British diet.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    ^^ JUICY JUICE!!!! YES!
    And jello shots! Hahahahaaa

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by vieamemusique View Post
    In Dixie cups? Even better! I'm jealous lol.

Which reminds me of the most fantabulous drink I made one night, it was Cherry Juicy Juice with Smirnoff Green Apple Vodka, and something else...YUM!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by vieamemusique View Post
    That's what those are? I was wondering what was with all the paper cups.

Phantonym

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

^^That is a beautiful fridge! So neat and organized!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/