User Tag List

123 Last

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Question Developing a quick wit

Does anyone have any hints, tips or sites for improving wit?

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit."
    - Somerset Maugham

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I tend to be able to improve my wit by not taking anything seriously. By making fun of everything up to and including myself.

MBTI
    INTP

I would say practice. You can't be afraid of failure. I say the first thing that pops in my mind and I believe my success rate has steadily increased. Or maybe I have just offended mostly everyone that doesn't have the same sense of humor as me, therefore increasing the chance that I am surrounded by slow witted people who find me funny. Hmmm, will need to give this some thought....

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

aelan, quoting and lines from others are good, but being able to remember an apt one is another skill entirely.

Uberfuhrer, Yes, taking something to heart is a sure fire way of killing your off humor.*

BryNTP, practice is vital, but not the end; you have to have something to practice with.

What I have found is that I have on moments and off moments. But I'm not sure what is the deciding factor, I want to be in a position where I can deliver it when I CHOOSE.

*typo: it also kills your on humor. Off-humor being all smelly jokes i.e. toilet humor.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

can you please define wit? (sorry- I'm a bit confused ) it'll make it a lot easier to advise!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    can you please define wit? (sorry- I'm a bit confused ) it'll make it a lot easier to advise!
    Wisdom, Improvising and Timing.

"nothing more than an incisive observation, humorously phrased and delivered with impeccable timing." - defined in the Simpsons.

Basically the 'comeback'.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yes.

MBTI
    ENTP

I have no idea... maybe there are some games that sharpen one's ability to think abstractly and on the fly, since that seems to be the essence of wit - thinking of the thing other people didn't think of and saying it before anyone else can, in a way that makes people laugh. Given that I'd say it seems to be a quality native to Ne, but an ENTJ I know is one of the wittiest people I know, and Carebear can be very witty too at times... though I guess INFP's do have Ne secondary... Many of the things I say that people call witty leave me standing in bewilderment cos I didn't really mean it to be - I was just almost compulsively voicing something I observed in whatever words came to me first... I don't realize it's funny until I hear them laugh and look at it from their POV.

I'll have a think about it and see if I can think of any situations or environments that I've found to help hone/encourage that kind of thinking... I think whatever they are, they all require a person to be able to not take themselves too seriously... well, all people present in the situation.

Do you mean the rapid fire sorta wit, in fast-paced face to face interactions or forum threads? Or the ability to come up with a wickedly dry and rapier-sharp comment on a forum, where you have time to think about it?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Yes.
    PC tourettes or am I missing something...