First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    More than that. . . I use it for controlling conversations, manipulating co-workers, and making people think I'm funny, which in turn makes me likable (even though, nine times out of ten, I don't like them).

Plus, you say "biting your tongue or getting yourself into trouble." To me, "biting your tongue" is just another way of saying that the quick witted individual has a lot of choices at any given moment. I can't imagine preferring that scenario over that of having a limited amount of choices.

And the "getting yourself into trouble" part is more for Extroverts, I would imagine.
    Sometimes even with introverts the words get out before you can stop them and the learning curve can be pretty painful growing up.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Sometimes even with introverts the words get out before you can stop them and the learning curve can be pretty painful growing up.
    I'll have to take your word on that; because prior to age 22, I thought long and hard about saying just about anything.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I'll have to take your word on that; because prior to age 22, I thought long and hard about saying just about anything.
    Why did you do that?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTj

Why did you do that?
    Because extremely introverted kids are usually very quiet?
    Haight

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Because extremely introverted kids are usually very quiet?
    Quiet yes, but carefully thinking about everything you say even with family and friends when you are a little child? I was not a chatty child nor was I loud or outgoing, but I did have casual conversations with family and friends. Saying the 'wrong things' are what taught me caution and careful thought about what I said.
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTj

Quiet yes, but carefully thinking about everything you say even with family and friends when you are a little child? I was not a chatty child nor was I loud or outgoing, but I did have casual conversations with family and friends. Saying the 'wrong things' are what taught me caution and careful thought about what I said.
    Yes, but don't forget that the topic is about quick wit. In other words, do you consider yourself "quick witted"?

And I thought about everything I was going to say - which, in most cases, I never would say - because that's what INTP/J do, I would imagine.

On top of that, it became very obvious to me, at an early age, that the people I came across were not thinking about the same things I was. Moreover, I learned that the things I thought about were typically considered "weird." And kids don't want to be weird.

Lastly, watching and observing the outcome of other people saying the "wrong things" is how I learned what was acceptable. . . and what was not.
    Haight

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I read somewhere that wit is merely educated insolence. I liked that. Sounds like something Oscar Wilde (king of wit) would say, but I'm not 100% on that.

Like Haight, I don't think it's possible to develop a quick wit.
    Interesting.

Maybe not from scratch, depends on the person. I think anything can be learned, but I've always had a humor. I have wit and sometimes I'm on fire but I can't always turn it, so this is why I want to develop it. Conversely the downside of witty people is that they can't always turn it off.

Good find Substitute.

MBTI
    ISTx

I too would like to work on a quick wit.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Maybe we could start a School of Wit program. We can open it as a blog, and there will be things to read and apply over the course of the week and see how wit develops. Any relevant sites or ideas PM me and I'll start it for those that are interested.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    Does anyone have any hints, tips or sites for improving wit?
    Associate with a foil.

If you can't identify one, or don't even know what one is in this context, you haven't an aptitude to develop. Don't fret: do the civic thing and serve someone otherwise talented as a foil yourself.

Edit: Vocalizing wit (thereby building a social reputation) is a related but separate skill. It takes a certain amount of boldness, especially to perform to a room -- and especially so for a neutral or even disinclined group. Development involves successes as well as moments of sucking the air out of the room. I look back to embarrassing duds that came about not through delivery but simply due to the moment or crowd. But there's a certain personality, I think, driven to make people laugh.