User Tag List

First 12345 Last

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    I disagree.

I don't parallel "wit" with humor, necessarily. For me, "quick wit" means the speed at which one processes information - brain speed, if you will. And I don't see any evidence that one can teach themselves to think faster. And if they could, they'd probably already have a quick wit in the first place.
    I don't know. ISTPs have fast brain speed. They just channel it to other uses. I think if they make public speaking a goal and practice it like anything else, and channel their speed there...

I'll admit that the stockbroker was stretching. He was a charming host and good conversationalist during social functions. And he really was good with the comebacks and the quips. But by the end of the evening, after the social event was over, he would just shut down. His wife would have to talk for him if they saw anyone else during the rest of the night.

And I believe your example is more a case of faking a quick wit then actually having it.
    Could be. It certainly wasn't "natural" for him, as evidenced by his need to shut down afterward. But it was a good "fake" while it lasted.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    I don't know. ISTPs have fast brain speed. They just channel it to other uses. I think if they make public speaking a goal and practice it like anything else, and channel their speed there...
    Right. I completely agree with that.

He simply channeled his quick wit into another arena.

I think it's interesting how introverts will have a quick wit, but very few people will actually know that fact, because. . . They keep all the comments in their heads.

"Hi! My names Bill. I just moved in three blocks away and I'm introducing myself to all my new neighbors!

In my head: And how many of your new neighbors actually care, Bill? Likewise, doesn't this blank stare that I'm sending your way indicate that I need to be added to the list of "don't care."

Out my mouth: "Umm. . . great. Welcome. . . I hate to be rude, but I have to finish cleaning my rats. It can be a real mess when they all start shaking off the soap lather.

Talk to you later."
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I disagree.

I don't parallel "wit" with humor, necessarily. For me, "quick wit" means the speed at which one processes information - brain speed, if you will. And I don't see any evidence that one can teach themselves to think faster. And if they could, they'd probably already have a quick wit in the first place.

And I believe your example is more a case of faking a quick wit then actually having it.
    I think you're right that processing speed is required (perhaps with logic and finding absurdity and contradiction?). But if that's true, processing speed can definitely be improved. Chunking is a great example. Once you learn what to look for, you can condense information and process more information at the same rate, which means more information per second.

MBTI
    INTj

Yes, but you're talking about incremental differences.

In other words, a person with a quick wit can possibly fine-tune their abilities. However, one without an innate quick wit cannot merely "develop" one.

The bottom line here is that I'm special and don't try to make me think otherwise. Because, you'd be wrong, of course.
    Haight

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yes, but you're talking about incremental differences.

In other words, a person with a quick wit can possibly fine-tune their abilities. However, one without an innate quick wit cannot merely "develop" one.
    I dunno. It's like driving. Everyone starts from shit.

The bottom line here is that I'm special and don't try to make me think otherwise. Because, you'd be wrong, of course.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I dunno. It's like driving. Everyone starts from shit.
    Speak for yourself.

(Quick wit example 3345.)
    Haight

RDF

Right. I completely agree with that.

He simply channeled his quick wit into another arena.

I think it's interesting how introverts will have a quick wit, but very few people will actually know that fact, because. . . They keep all the comments in their heads.

"Hi! My names Bill. I just moved in three blocks away and I'm introducing myself to all my new neighbors!

In my head: And how many of your new neighbors actually care, Bill? Likewise, doesn't this blank stare that I'm sending your way indicate that I need to be added to the list of "don't care."

Out my mouth: "Umm. . . great. Welcome. . . I hate to be rude, but I have to finish cleaning my rats. It can be a real mess when they all start shaking off the soap lather.

Talk to you later."

Yeah, introverts have to train themselves to get that internal monolog and move it outside to where others can hear it too. I did it as an INFP when I decided that I wanted to learn how to socialize better, and it was a very conscious process for me.

ISTPs have Ti as their Dominant like INTPs, so they probably have a pretty good internal monologue. Their Se orientation makes it pretty earthy. I think maybe their biggest issue is that ISTPs don't want to have to go through the step of self-censoring as part the process of extraverting their internal voice. I had a couple ISTP buddies in the service, and they had plenty to say once they trusted me. But they didn't trust themselves to talk freely in social settings. I suspect they didn't want to have to monitor their speech and self-censor even when the conversation would have interested them.

I remember struggling with self-censoring issues when I started socializing--making sure I didn't say something wildly stupid or unPC--but with practice that got automatic.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

One lesser-known shortcut to wit is just overwhelming people with your best Borat impersonation.

Friend: My grandfather just passed away.
    You: I LYK!!! HIGH FIVE!

Hella witty.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    One lesser-known shortcut to wit is just overwhelming people with your best Borat impersonation.

Friend: My grandfather just passed away.
    You: I LYK!!! HIGH FIVE!

Hella witty.
    It's a start. Wit on training wheels.

MBTI
    ENTP

How about this?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen