User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    PC tourettes or am I missing something...
    1. Do the opposite of what you're doing.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    PC tourettes or am I missing something...
    You're missing something.

MBTI
    INTj

You can't "develop" a quick wit. What are you guys talking about!

It's innate.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

1. Don't listen to anyone who asks you to define "wit."
    2. Watch some black comedians rip on people. Don't try so hard to figure out how to be witty through formulas. That'll never work. It just has to sink in and become natural.
    3. Read some David Deangelo. He's a self-proclaimed pickup artist, but he's got a great sense of humor that's reflected in his writing.
    4. Don't try so hard, have fun with it.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I have no idea... maybe there are some games that sharpen one's ability to think abstractly and on the fly, since that seems to be the essence of wit - thinking of the thing other people didn't think of and saying it before anyone else can, in a way that makes people laugh. Given that I'd say it seems to be a quality native to Ne, but an ENTJ I know is one of the wittiest people I know, and Carebear can be very witty too at times... though I guess INFP's do have Ne secondary... Many of the things I say that people call witty leave me standing in bewilderment cos I didn't really mean it to be - I was just almost compulsively voicing something I observed in whatever words came to me first... I don't realize it's funny until I hear them laugh and look at it from their POV.

I'll have a think about it and see if I can think of any situations or environments that I've found to help hone/encourage that kind of thinking... I think whatever they are, they all require a person to be able to not take themselves too seriously... well, all people present in the situation.

Do you mean the rapid fire sorta wit, in fast-paced face to face interactions or forum threads? Or the ability to come up with a wickedly dry and rapier-sharp comment on a forum, where you have time to think about it?
    It would be much appreciated.

An ESTP friend is the best wit I know, he has a very quick mind and is very perceptive at reading people so always one step ahead. I can get in to good banter with him but he has an ability to up gears when the challenge is there. Not to say I haven't one a few duels I have known some ENTPs that are very quick witted also but it has been in a different way, they seem to call on information that doesn't seem related and apply it, as Ns do. I'd say that T is essential and any T has the ability to develop wit. I'd also say that being P is more beneficial where wit is concerned, but I don't want to get in to a traits discussion, this is about the what works in application.

Yes, I am referring to face to face discussions, quips and not slopes.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    1. Don't listen to anyone who asks you to define "wit."
    2. Watch some black comedians rip on people. Don't try so hard to figure out how to be witty through formulas. That'll never work. It just has to sink in and become natural.
    3. Read some David Deangelo. He's a self-proclaimed pickup artist, but he's got a great sense of humor that's reflected in his writing.
    4. Don't try so hard, have fun with it.
    Good advice. I don't intend to find a formula and apply it, there are ways to improve and I'm looking to find what those are. Just like there are ways to develop confidence, saying "be confident" isn't going to develop your confidence but there are ways.

RDF

I knew a stock broker who was an ISTP (I'm pretty sure). He knew his stocks and his numbers, but he needed more public speaking skills. So he did some reading up on the subject and then volunteered to do all kinds of public presentations.

As part of his effort to improve his public speaking skills, he bought some anthologies of jokes and toasts and memorized as many as he could. He would jot them down on 3x5 cards and practice them in his car on his way to work. Eventually, his habit of always having a joke or a quip for every occasion gave him a quick wit. He was faster than most with a genuinely funny comeback.

It's a learnable skill, like any other. It's like being in a cover band and playing all the music of a great musician. After a while, you get to be a pretty good musician yourself.

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah, perhaps strong extraverted perceiving functions are an advantage, which is why many IxTJ's seem to be very witty in text but in conversation often the people who say, just after I say something, "Damn you, I wanted to say that!"

Perhaps just developing your Se, leaning on it more than your Ti for a bit might help?

edit - FineLine I'm really not sure simply memorizing jokes alone can make you witty, cos you still have to be able to recall and use them at the right time, which I think is a combination of strong egagement with the external environment and simple confidence to speak up without second-guessing.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm convinced that I have no wit on here- I've always felt that you lose something when you write it down- but apparently I keep people amused in real life

I'm convinced my friends are crazy
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    It's a learnable skill, like any other.
    I disagree.

I don't parallel "wit" with humor, necessarily. For me, "quick wit" means the speed at which one processes information - brain speed, if you will. And I don't see any evidence that one can teach themselves to think faster. And if they could, they'd probably already have a quick wit in the first place.

And I believe your example is more a case of faking a quick wit then actually having it.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight