User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Sub: Ivory tower isn't really negative... I think it's okay, rather lurker is a bit more problematic.

Nadir: Protest! You can't use academician! Not when academic is the label for one end of the spectrum for the x-axis!

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Sub: Ivory tower isn't really negative... I think it's okay, rather lurker is a bit more problematic.
    I, a lurker, must protest!

Edit: Wow, good timing with the protests! Sure, ivory tower it is, then!
    Not really.

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah Nightning but I'd sooner people placed themselves - that way it's not on my head!! haha... It'd be cool to have a doobie widget in flash animation or something where people can come in and put themselves on - be better still if there were a short multiple choice between the working definitions of each end of each axis, that people can answer and then the thing puts them somewhere on the graph - then they could move their dot if they disagree and want to fine tune it a bit.

However, that's WAAAAY beyond my technical skillz!

I feel like the vertical line is well enough defined now but the horizontal isn't so much...

edit - you think lurker's negative? really? I don't think of 'em negatively at all, I assumed most people didn't, nothing wrong with just reading a web page and not wanting to post, surely? How can anyone have a problem with that?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I don't think lurker is negative. There are some other, negatively tinted words, that convey the same meaning, like "skulk." But lurker seems pretty neutral. But if you want to be truly neutral, pick "observer."
    Not really.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Unsocial isn't the same as anti-social, is it...?

Anyway, I'd say that I'm very interested in this particular axis, and "Lurker" does seem to describe my typical approach to the internet. Honestly, I usually just read message boards and/or start one thread and leave. I'm very much an absorber of information. Most people like to draw, write music, create stories, etc. I just like to absorb/comprehend rather than create. I guess you could also say that I'm typically a "discriminate consumer" type when it comes to information, rather than a "rapid producer" like many others seem to be. They just throw out the first idea that comes to mind and try to justify it, rather than trying to weigh/choose between several ideas, especially if one of them isn't their own.

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah Nadir, observer is good.

Athenian that's what I thought No, it doesn't mean anti-social, which is why I've replaced it with 'academic' on the second draft.

Just working now on some definitions...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Yeah Nightning but I'd sooner people placed themselves - that way it's not on my head!! haha... It'd be cool to have a doobie widget in flash animation or something where people can come in and put themselves on - be better still if there were a short multiple choice between the working definitions of each end of each axis, that people can answer and then the thing puts them somewhere on the graph - then they could move their dot if they disagree and want to fine tune it a bit.

However, that's WAAAAY beyond my technical skillz!
    Are you throwing suggestions around to see if you can catch any fish? I suppose that would make a nice little scripting exercise for me to do. But I don't have the time this week... midterms. I'll think about it.

I feel like the vertical line is well enough defined now but the horizontal isn't so much...
    Considering the opposite of social isn't really academic I would think so. The scale's like what zergling referred to as "serious post" vs "fluff" Can you remove the negative connotations?

edit - you think lurker's negative? really? I don't think of 'em negatively at all, I assumed most people didn't, nothing wrong with just reading a web page and not wanting to post, surely? How can anyone have a problem with that?
    Well I guess I get a tad testy of people who (not exactly lurk) but take from the forum but don't give anything in return. Adam comes into mind. No, the basis of lurking and observing is not negative.

MBTI
    ENTP

How about this then:

Teacher: primarily gives information, links, suggestions, advice, opinions and answers. Thinks over what they read before giving opinions.

Absorber: asks questions, looks for info, asks for advice, reads and re-reads, thinks over what they read before asking questions.

Social: communicates in casual, conversational style, uses lots of humour, charm, forms connections, engages with and interested in personalities behind the posts. Here to connect/make friends.

Academic: communicates in formal/"essay" style, fewer jokes (or jokes are an aside, not the main point or intention); clarity and precision, engages with and is interested in ideas and knowledge. Here for intellectual purposes primarily.

Now if those are the definitions at the extreme end of each axis, it might be easier for people to figure out where they fit. Be good to have some working "guideline" definitions for the mid-points of each... and eventually some actual profiles of various squares on a grid.

edit - I think the thing taken as a whole does sorta remove the negatives or somewhat clarify the "serious vs fluff" question, cos this graph gives the possibility of social and informative not being mutually exclusive... and vice versa.

edit 2 - I think I need to change my position on the graph now, in light of this... lol

MBTI
    infp

Halfway between social and unsocial, and on the absorption end.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm at the origin.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."