User Tag List

12311 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Default Social Norms at MBTI Central

Can anyone identify the social norms that gains one acceptance at MBTIc? There is a status quo here and posters are more highly liked by how closely they abide by it. I'm curious to know if anyone has figured out what some of them are. I like seeing how forums create their standards of behavior and often wonder if people are aware of what these "rules" are. I'm particularly interested in how the bolded ones manifest here.

Social norms are:

rules that a group uses for appropriate and inappropriate values, beliefs, attitudes and behaviors. These rules may be explicit or implicit.

Other norms include:

-Injunctive Norms are behaviors which are perceived as being approved of by other people.
    -Descriptive Norms are perceptions of how other people are actually behaving, whether or not these are approved of.
    -Explicit Norms are written or spoken openly.
    -Implicit Norms are not openly stated (but you find out when you transgress them).
    -Subjective Norms: Expectations that valued others have about how we will behave.
    -Personal Norms: Standards we have about our own actions.

2. Social Norms are people's beliefs about the attitudes and behaviors that are normal, acceptable, or even expected in a particular social context. In many situations, people's perception of these norms will greatly influence their behavior.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Respect for other users - you can critise an idea or an opinion but not a person.

Contribute to threads meaningfully - pay attention to the OP and try and stay on topic.

Don't start threads willy-nilly, and help out with discussions you've started.

I'm not sure what mentioned category those ones would go into, though.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

Enneagram
    1w2

Well just to give more direction about what I'm asking about I'll start off.

I think those leaning towards agnosticism/atheism tend to be more highly regarded (shows how "free thinking" they are). Those more liberal or left of center in their politics (how many people advertise their allegiance to the GOP or NRA?). Those that are more critical larger societal mores. Those that "appear" to be "open-minded." And funny people, everyone loves a good joke.

This is more or less what I'm asking about. I don't know of many successful forums where disrespecting other members is de rigueur. Oh wait...
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.

MBTI
    INTj

I think that you violate a major social norm when you question someone's type . . . especially when you tell an N that they are an S.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I think the only reason people have the illusion of N types being smarter than S types is that S types are statistically much more common. I think it serves as a justification for people, especially INTx types, to continue the belief that most people are stupid. While I personally believe that most people are stupid, I don't think it's their type that determines it, especially since everyone has their own definition of stupidity.

An alternative theory is that people want to be seen as unique and sticking out from the crowd, so they'll use their N preference to justify that notion.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    I think that you violate a major social norm when you question someone's type . . . especially when you tell an N that they are an S.
    This is very true and one I've had to get over myself.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    I wonder why S's don't get mad if anyone calls them an N. (Or do they?)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I wonder why S's don't get mad if anyone calls them an N. (Or do they?)
    I think that Sensors are probably too stupid to even care.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Way to ensure thread participation will shoot waaaaay up in a bit.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Teleute View Post
    Way to ensure thread participation will shoot waaaaay up in a bit. ;)
    Way to ensure that won't be happening any time soon!
    Not really.