User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    The second bolded one isn't allowed here. My latest thread proved that.
    So you think that descriptive norms (perceptions of how other people are actually behaving, whether or not these are approved of) are frowned upon? What type of atmosphere do you think that creates?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Awesome awesome thread.

Personal attacks: There's an explicit norm that you don't personally attack people (I'm assuming) which gets enforced by mods and admins and dominant members. The dominant members an achieve dominance by virtue of their own personality, history, networking, or by numbers. If 3 people start attacking one member for being rude, it would be easier for other offended but less aggressive members to join in the attack/defense.

The threshold gets lowered by members who create new implicit norms that ALL ATTACKS are intolerable. The new norms, seems to me, aren't created by people explicitly criticizing others for being even slightly offensive (which make sense, since these members abhor confrontation and aggression) but by unconditionally complimenting and supporting others. That sends the message that criticism is prohibited which means that aggressive impulses start to ferment. A few possibilities at that point: (1) the group finds a scapegoat (a "troll") or (2) lacking a release valve, the atmosphere explodes (3) people leave and find other outlets for their aggression (INTPc) (4) new, dominant members (mods, members) adjust and balance the norms to allow aggression in ways that don't threaten to cohesion of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    I think that Sensors are probably too stupid to even care.

LOL

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Awesome awesome thread.

Personal attacks: There's an explicit norm that you don't personally attack people (I'm assuming) which gets enforced by mods and admins and dominant members. The dominant members an achieve dominance by virtue of their own personality, history, networking, or by numbers. If 3 people start attacking one member for being rude, it would be easier for other offended but less aggressive members to join in the attack/defense.

The threshold gets lowered by members who create new implicit norms that ALL ATTACKS are intolerable. The new norms, seems to me, aren't created by people explicitly criticizing others for being even slightly offensive (which make sense, since these members abhor confrontation and aggression) but by unconditionally complimenting and supporting others. That sends the message that criticism is prohibited which means that aggressive impulses start to ferment. A few possibilities at that point: (1) the group finds a scapegoat (a "troll") or (2) lacking a release valve, the atmosphere explodes (3) people leave and find other outlets for their aggression (INTPc) (4) new, dominant members (mods, members) adjust and balance the norms to allow aggression in ways that don't threaten to cohesion of the group.
    I think you bring up another issue: you're not supposed to talk about the dominant members. We all know that certain people will rise to the top but I don't think it's supposed to get mentioned because the premise of this forum is that it's all inclusive. How do the dominant members remain dominant? Is it a revolving door of dominance? Are the boundaries permeable?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTJ

The more you post without saying something stupid (or sometimes, even saying stupid things), the more people are going to associate you with the forum. I know there are some people who's posts I will almost never take the time to read, and some people who I will read most of what they write.

Also, personal communications builds a lot of favoritism between people (not saying that's a bad thing). If I trade a ton of PMs and Reps with someone then I am probably going to be more likely to pay attention to what they write, rather than someone I hardly ever communicate with in posts. Being greeted in the introduction forum, or complimented is a big factor too...partially why Economica was like the first person I really talked to on here.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Also - writing long posts used to be criticized heavily, but isn't so much any more. (thank God )
    Wait, that reminds me -- Posting long philosophical treatises on the forums, especially if generous dollops of paragraph markers are not used liberally, will result in said posts being ignored (except for the predictable one-shots coming from a few hecklers).
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but I've noticed that people here don't seem to care for argument or justifying things in many cases. It's as if when people suggest an idea, everyone wants to come up with ways and reasons why it might be true, rather than trying to find reasons it might not be or pointing out exceptions. If more than a few people do the former, you can even be lambasted for the latter. The only way to avoid this (usually) is to get at least three or four other people to share your perspective and post at about the same time.

It's almost as if it's more acceptable to blend ideas together to see general similarities, than it is to discern and specify differences between similar things.

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I think those leaning towards agnosticism/atheism tend to be more highly regarded (shows how "free thinking" they are).
    I haven't noticed much respect for atheism here. Having your own idiosyncratic spiritual beliefs but not being a member of an organized religion is most highly regarded and seen as being open minded.

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but I've noticed that people here don't seem to care for argument or justifying things in many cases. It's as if when people suggest an idea, everyone wants to come up with ways and reasons why it might be true, rather than trying to find reasons it might not be or pointing out exceptions.
    And when those spiritual beliefs are discussed they are only to be spoken of approvingly lest you be accused of narrow mindedness.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    What if the avatar doesn't show a "pretty" person? (I kind of stole this from your "pretty girls" designation)
    To be honest, I've never seen this before.

And the point of socializing (in an internet forum, no less) is to garner attention, anyway. In my opinion, humans are inherently social creatures -- we just differ in our expression of wanting social stimulation.
    Right. The purpose is to get attention and socialize through ideas, not through a picture of yourself taken at a flattering angle.

I'm for avatar freedom myself . . . but I still think that in forum culture it's a bit of a faux pas.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I thought Ni was the ability to see ideas from multiple angles.
    I thought Ne was about seeing them from multiple angles, and Ni about integrating different angles to one's own opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    How do the dominant members remain dominant?
    Dominant members, I think, use argument and rhetoric (embarrassment, ostracizing) as a e-form of aggression. They also communicate security and status by a lack of hesitation which shows up in the form of clear and assertive writing and punctuation. You can also see things like interruption and dismissal in the form of ignoring posts or ignoring parts of posts, especially parts that regularly require responses. (I did it in this post as an example.)