User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 156

  1. #41
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    I think it violates a norm because it is mainly something that is done by pretty girls. Therefore, many people assume that it is merely a way for them to get attention. Plus, I think an internet forum is a place where people can communicate ideas to one another in an anonymous way. When someone's posts are responded to more simply because they have their pic as their avatar it's sort of like we're back in the real world where the beautiful (and extroverted) people get more attention than the rest of us.

    Those are just some thoughts that I don't necessarily agree or disagree with.
    Some thoughts I don't necessarily agree or disagree with either: A prime example is happening right now in Welcomes and Introductions.

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I don't think it is a norm to look down on Sensors... well, it's a norm for certain types it seems, to look down on Sensors and those types to seem to make up the majority here, but I don't think it's encouraged or applauded here at all when people do it. At least in my observation it seems people seldom get away with type bashing of any kind here.
    Threads dedicated to wholesale type bashing, no that's not norm. But little comments made in threads ("I could never have a long term relationship with a sensor" "Communicating with sensors is difficult" and other petty swipes) often occur. Or even how people are quicker to assign undesirable tyrannical traits to ESJs, or how in most of the typing threads the assumption is that the person in question is an Intuitive. whatever was quick to point this out in the 2008 presidential candidates thread when someone typed all of the candidates as intuitive. Things like this do spring out on the forum, so while it's not normalized it is tolerated.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  2. #42
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Not sure about that Uber... I'm definitely an experiential/action person. I wouldn't be happy sitting around contemplating the abstract all day. I don't think the contrast is between action/contemplation, but more between what the interaction is mainly with, from the person's point of view - the abstract or the concrete, physical or intuitive.

    whatever and I are both action and experience oriented people, but where she interacts directly with the physical and sensory aspects of the world, experiencing those, I do the same thing, only with the abstract and intuitive aspects. But we both live in an intense world of experience and practice rather than theory and contemplation, despite our dominants being Ne and Se.
    So, through experience, then, you still seem to be more interested in the idea side of your experience than the direct physical side.

    I was more thinking in terms of the MBTI rather than Jungian cognitive functions.

  3. #43
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Yeah I'd say that was fair enough Uber.

    Proteanmix - yeah I know those things happen, what I'm saying though is that they don't tend to get away with it - someone will always come along and set them straight, object to it. But I think though that in saying "I could never have a relationship with an S" isn't always meant as a swipe, just perhaps someone pointing out that they'd prefer a relationship with someone who sees the world the same way they do.

    I have noticed that it seems more likely an intuitive would say "you got me all wrong, no that's not what I meant!" than a Sensor, and though I think intuitives can often put this down to the sensor being too stupid to get what they mean, the reality is often that the intuitive just didn't express themselves clearly or explicitly and left too much room for misinterpretation.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  4. #44
    Enigma Nadir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    4
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    I think it violates a norm because it is mainly something that is done by pretty girls. Therefore, many people assume that it is merely a way for them to get attention. Plus, I think an internet forum is a place where people can communicate ideas to one another in an anonymous way. When someone's posts are responded to more simply because they have their pic as their avatar it's sort of like we're back in the real world where the beautiful (and extroverted) people get more attention than the rest of us.

    Those are just some thoughts that I don't necessarily agree or disagree with.
    This is an interesting perspective you've provided... this could be responded to in several ways, I suppose:

    • What if the avatar doesn't show a "pretty" person? (I kind of stole this from your "pretty girls" designation)
    • The avatar may or may not be perceived as defeating the purposes of anonymity... while it makes sense that a "pretty girl's" picture could make it difficult to view the person behind the avatar objectively, I'd say that this is still a judgment in the eye of the beholder.
    • Similarly it would be personal choice which dictates the amount of responses a "pretty girl" gets. (And it would remind us of ourselves.) And the point of socializing (in an internet forum, no less) is to garner attention, anyway. In my opinion, humans are inherently social creatures -- we just differ in our expression of wanting social stimulation.
    • The last one, you said it yourself -- people assume.
    I'm still for avatar-freedom, myself. :)
    Not really.

  5. #45
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Sympathising with misfits despite an indication that the sympathy is welcome, or more importantly, despite the misfit's character. This form of sympathy is an odd thing.. quite often merely a public gesture made to link oneself to another in a patronly manner devoid of real meaning.. a grasping effort to be seen as a Mother Theresa of sorts.

  6. #46
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    I was with you Dana up to the last part where you attributed sinister or less than flattering motives to the person who does that... seems a bit unfair... I've noticed people often attribute good things they see in others to sinister motives that they can't possibly either know or prove or invalidate them somehow... Not sure why that is...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  7. #47
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    I am a suspicious person.. Don't mind me.

  8. #48
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I am a suspicious person.. Don't mind me.
    Hm, no problem with that, but you should be aware that your suspicions aren't the same thing as facts, so though I'd have no problem with you saying "I think they do this because of... or maybe..." it seems rather discouraging to genuinely good people, to openly declare them all fakes and posers without any actual evidence... not that you should care whether I have a problem with anything lol just saying...

    But here's something else about the tone of this board: whatever claims you make, sooner or later someone will ask you to back them up, so be careful what you claim!! I've learned that often when I'm about to say something about a group or individual, it's highly advisable to stop and check whether this is pure intuition or whether I have any real basis for what I'm about to say. It's had an effect on my RL interactions too, and forced me to recognize how much of my judgements and stuff are based more on my own grudges and stuff with individual members of groups, than any evidence I have against the group as a whole or other individuals within it.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  9. #49
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    The second bolded one isn't allowed here. My latest thread proved that.
    we fukin won boys

  10. #50
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    I'm sorry.. it runs in the family to make people with good intentions feel like jerks. I need therapy.

Similar Threads

  1. A warm hello from a new forum user of MBTI Central here
    By bandit in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-18-2016, 11:38 PM
  2. MBTI Central Suicide and Depression Buddy System
    By disregard in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-01-2008, 05:47 PM
  3. Best way to get good at MBTI quickly
    By slonzor in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2008, 04:35 AM
  4. Why MBTI Central when we have INTP Central?
    By Tonks in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 08:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO