User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I duly continue the tradition of one-liners full of agreement.
    Not really.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Of course. Jennifer knows that.

(Maybe it'll just be our own little secret.)

I'm not sure how true this is here, but I think you violate some sort of norm when you have your own picture as your avatar.
    Ha, I didn't think of that one... but I do remember the last time it happened... and quickly stopped happening.

Hmm... which leads me to this: Is it a violation of mores to have some OTHER member's picture as your avatar?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

So is using your own picture as your avatar a bad thing?

Enneagram
    1w2

OK, I'm going to have to do some policing of my thread because I really don't want this to turn into a discussion about who is open-minded or free thinking. I'd love to see someone start a thread about that though (if Kiddo hasn't already started it ).

The reason why I used religion and political ideology as examples is because I noticed that a substantial number of posters in the member survey said they were agnostic or atheist.

So we have:

1. Questioning someone's type, esp. if they think they're intuitive
    2. Using you picture as your avatar
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ENTJ

Ah, social norms:

YouTube - Male Restroom Etiquette

Anyway, at MBTIcentral, I guess that the culture would be more biased towards certain values due to the over-representation of certain MBTI types. They are similar values than the ones found among people into psychology. Specifically:

- There is not one unique truth
    - There is not one right way to do things
    - There is no such thing as right/wrong, there are just people's feelings
    - It's not so much what you say, but how you say it that's important
    - There's no point in talking too much; hear what others have to say
    - Don't take yourself seriously

Then, in terms of actions:

- Don't chain post (multiple posts following one another)
    - Don't start multiple threads

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Using your picture as your avatar
    I am guessing that personal pictures as avatars, if they were to be negatively considered, would be considered as "crude". But, really, I don't get the point of making such a judgment. (I understand that this is not the judgment of proteanmix or nottaprettygal, btw.)

It's not as if non-picture avatars are anything more than images -- surely they do not represent anyone's magnaminity, creativity, or heck, great avatar-finding skills at work, or tell us anything about how fucked up they are. (because, you know... everyone, to a degree, is fucked up, including me. It's just the perspective that matters!) They are different things for everyone -- I mean, mine is an idea that came to me while I was dropping nuggets! It makes perfect sense that someone would put their picture in there. Why not? Maybe they like seeing themselves everytime they post, maybe they like showing others a glimpse of themselves, maybe they are just reminded by the picture's context itself, or maybe the picture means something to them that the viewer can't readily see -- and I think that's the most important thing.

In my opinion, avatars should not be basis for judgment -- if there has to be judgment, which is an entirely seperate question, really.
    Not really.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, I think the seemingly high quantity of N (and especially of Ni) assumes that people can flip around from view to view and see multiple angles... meaning none of them really has much predominance.

Meanwhile, SPs want the flex and pride themselves in it.

That covers a high percentage of posters here. The SJ population is fairly small, and the ones who stay have learned to tolerate multiple views without feeling threatened.
    I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here, maybe I misunderstood you...I thought Ni was the ability to see ideas from multiple angles.

And I always thought that there was a higher percentage of SJs here than SPs...

That's funny what some of you say about personal picture avatars. I participate in a couple of other forums that are personal and social like this one and in both cases personal pics as avatars are the norm or at least very common. I had mine up for about a week here, then felt too self-concious about it and took it down. I think the reason many people like them is simply as a way of getting to know who you are talking to and putting a face with a name. Nothing to do with showing off or being narcissistic it's simply a 'getting to know you' thing - along the same lines as knowing someone's sex, and aproximate age.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    That's funny what some of you say about personal picture avatars. I participate in a couple of other forums that are personal and social like this one and in both cases personal pics as avatars are the norm or at least very common. I had mine up for about a week here, then felt too self-concious about it and took it down. I think the reason many people like them is simply as a way of getting to know who you are talking to and putting a face with a name. Nothing to do with showing off or being narcissistic it's simply a 'getting to know you' thing - along the same lines as knowing someone's sex, and aproximate age.
    Yes, this is exactly what I want people to start asking themselves about. How are we unconsciously/consciously conforming to social norms on this forum? This is a great example of conforming to a norm here, an injunctive and implicit norm.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here, maybe I misunderstood you...I thought Ni was the ability to see ideas from multiple angles.
    That's what I said.

Ne also gives flex because it sees connections and possibilities for interpretation beyond what is apparent. So N in general contributes to perceiving multiple points of view simultaneously.

And I always thought that there was a higher percentage of SJs here than SPs...
    SJs as a group compared to everyone else put together is extremely a minority here.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft