User Tag List

First 513141516 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Maybe I should change mine to me in my robe, enjoying a cigarette and a martini?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Maybe I should change mine to me in my robe, enjoying a cigarette and a martini?
    That is so not fair! You dress in your robe and it's all sexy and sophisticated. I dress in my robe and it's a housewife that has let herself go. *sigh*
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    That is so not fair! You dress in your robe and it's all sexy and sophisticated. I dress in my robe and it's a housewife that has let herself go. *sigh*

"Suave, and sophisticated, Michael's ensemble puts the B in subtle."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I never noticed having a self-avatar was considered arrogant. I think it depends on the picture and if you look arrogant in it. I used to have an avatar that was myself and my daughter, and she had her finger in her nose. (I took the picture myself and I didn't know she was going to do that until I saw the pic, the little scamp.)

I think yours is fine, pure_mercury.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I never noticed having a self-avatar was considered arrogant. I think it depends on the picture and if you look arrogant in it. I used to have an avatar that was myself and my daughter, and she had her finger in her nose. (I took the picture myself and I didn't know she was going to do that until I saw the pic, the little scamp.)

I think yours is fine, pure_mercury.
    I don't have a non-arrogant photo. Some are fairly civil and Safe For Work, though.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Can anyone identify the social norms that gains one acceptance at MBTIc? There is a status quo here and posters are more highly liked by how closely they abide by it. I'm curious to know if anyone has figured out what some of them are. I like seeing how forums create their standards of behavior and often wonder if people are aware of what these "rules" are. I'm particularly interested in how the bolded ones manifest here.
    I've been thinking about this a bit still. It's interesting because I'm watching myself working out some of the social norms, because I had a long break from here, and the culture changed a bit in that time. I changed too, heh.

What I'm noticing is that some of the social norms are somewhat foreign to me, in that I've never really come across them before - or I've been oblivious (more likely ).

I just found this in the Why do you give rep points thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    Well, in part, how some people got so high up there is probably from chatting and talking in threads with their friends, who appreciate them and praise them, which encourages the attitude of praise-giving in general, which results in one group of friendly people increasing their rep and their rep-giving power among themselves. There's no limit to how much you can rep anyone, really, so it is a kind of back-scratching orgy, which is expected among friends. I don't blame anyone for the way the system works; those people would feel positively toward each other and compliment each other whether the rep system was there or not. The rep points just embody the praise they would have given and received anyway.
    I don't do this with my friends, either IRL or on forums. I might be slightly more tactful when disagreeing with a friend, but the fact that I'm friends with someone is not going to stop me disagreeing with them in a thread or in private conversations.

Which brings me to another social norm which I think I've noticed - but given I've only been back a few weeks, I may have misread. But, I've noticed myself self-censoring a little in regards to it - disagreeing/debating. Harmony and what I've bolded above seem to be the norm and disagreeing seems to be covertly (maybe overtly too? not sure, haven't been around long enough) discouraged. Are disagreements seen as not desirable? Thoughts? (and yes, I'm happy to be disagreed with )

(and yes, I'm aware that posting this sort of post while being a sort-of noob, despite my join date, might be breaking a social norm on here, but heh.)

MBTI
    INFP

Definitely.. when debate comes up, certain others sweep in and try to buffer the perceived conflict.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Definitely.. when debate comes up, certain others sweep in and try to buffer the perceived conflict.
    that happened on a thread I was on. I saw what was happening as debate... a "noob" came in and, basically, shut it down using fear of the "argument" getting out of hand. She talked like I mod actually. Basically, she took over the thread to talk about what she wanted to talk about.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    that happened on a thread I was on. I saw what was happening as debate... a "noob" came in and, basically, shut it down using fear of the "argument" getting out of hand. She talked like I mod actually. Basically, she took over the thread to talk about what she wanted to talk about.
    Where was that? Just out of idle curiosity, not adminly duty or anything.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

I am an asshole so you should like me.