User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

it's still off topic and should be a different thread Did you even read the OP?

we're not talking type in this thread- we're talking about the society here
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

Err. From my understanding, it's not really that off topic. She's saying that there is a certain norm for behavior in society, and asking what the norm for behavior is on this forum. . . and what type corresponds to that norm. If the ESTJ type is expected in society, what type is expected here?

It could be a separate thread. If Protean wants to move it she can, but it's a related discussion on norms.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ok... it just really didn't fit in at all with the rest of the posts in the thread, and since it was a question it seemed like it would be a more practical seperate thread instead of completely changing the course of this one!

just my thoughts though
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTj

ok... it just really didn't fit in at all with the rest of the posts in the thread, and since it was a question it seemed like it would be a more practical seperate thread instead of completely changing the course of this one!

just my thoughts though
    Well, half of the posts are off-topic anyway, so let's not continue the trend with this off topic discussion of what is on topic.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Yes, I read the original post and as stated before, MBTI type and the social norms expected on this forum are not solitary topics. We've already discussed in this thread how Sensors are generally viewed in a negative light on this forum and substitute has already mentioned how INTx behavior was originally seen in a positive light. I feel that it's a valid topic that could be discussed in further detail.

MBTI
    INTj

Whereas in society, abiding by the status quo (perhaps an SJ quality) is a norm that is respected, the opposite is true here. I think you'd be violating some sort of norm if you didn't question almost everything around you. I'm not sure what type that corresponds to the most. Maybe XNXP? The type itself isn't really important, methinks.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

[another norm!] it normally is the norm here it seems to start a new thread if you want to take something in a different direction

I'd say that ExxJs are usually viewed as the worst since they have a stubborn tyrant image going for them that rubs people the wrong direction

Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    In my opinion, avatars should not be basis for judgment -- if there has to be judgment, which is an entirely seperate question, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicia91 View Post
    That's funny what some of you say about personal picture avatars. I participate in a couple of other forums that are personal and social like this one and in both cases personal pics as avatars are the norm or at least very common.
    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Is using your own pic as your avatar not welcome here?
    I thought some people do.
    I don't have a problem with it. I kinda like it.
    I'm emboldened by the new tolerance toward personal pictures as avatars...I feel like I can finally be me! So I'm thinking about making this my new avatar:

Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I'm emboldened by the new tolerance toward personal pictures as avatars...I feel like I can finally be me! So I'm thinking about making this my new avatar:

FM, I loved you in Ocean's 11 but I can never forgive you for abandoning ER when they needed you most. Plus you have questionable taste in women. I mean c'mon, Julia Roberts?

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Sympathising with misfits despite an indication that the sympathy is welcome, or more importantly, despite the misfit's character. This form of sympathy is an odd thing.. quite often merely a public gesture made to link oneself to another in a patronly manner devoid of real meaning.. a grasping effort to be seen as a Mother Theresa of sorts.
    Interesting! I know you kinda 'took [part of] it' back but I'm not quite sure what you meant, could you explain more?

I will say that the social norms here are still developing. I joined back at the end of last summer where I think both myself and the forum in general was looking for a foothold. As new members joined eventually we got to critical mass (present) and everyone who becomes part of the growing community helps define the culture and feel of the place.

I have noticed the crowd has gotten much younger and the forum has become much more active as the base membership has grown. I noticed amongst older (I'm talking 30, 40 and up) posters there were more conservative individuals, including out Christian conservatives. But I don't really see that in the posts anymore, or rather I think members find niches in threads and topics and PMs where they feel most comfortable and haters don't tread.

I think at least one such person said she refrains from discussing religion or politics to avoid [pointless] debates. Personally, I love FM's phrase 'junior nihilists'.

I think the avatar issue that Not A Pretty Gal brought up is (and please correct me if I'm wrong) just an issue with a few NT males. If anything it speaks to the NT (male) slant/facion/POV? in this forum, or larger umbrella of online forums. You aren't gonna find such naysayers on MySpace or Facebook. I think there are valid reasons for and against posting personal pics as an avatar for community reasons, but slamming attractive people as self-indulgent, vain, and pretentious for doing so -- I just don't get that. And I don't understand how even if true seeking attention and validation based on looks is any worse than seeking attention and validation based on who's more logical, more liberal, more XXX. It still comes down to a who's got the biggest d*ck contest. IF true.

I guess like in any large social group (school, work, neighborhood) I think there are lots of subgroups, not cliques or exclusive or even competitive clubs, just loose (or not so loose) confederation of people who happen to have things in common. The most obvious are the younger 25 and under males versus 30 and up women, many who have children and are married. The nihilists (kekeke) versus the uh, non-nihilists? The atheists vs. varyingly spiritual and religiously affiliated people. The hippies vs. the hippie-haters. And I think even in our small cyber community, these shifting subgroups have their own social norms. For instance, some are much more prone to emoticon use or swearing or use of sardonic humor (aka being a downer, IMHO hahhah) whereas other groups do not like the fluffy.

And "membership" in such subgroups is not exclusive or static.

Overall, I think it keeps things interesting and it exposes people to types and opinions they may not normally encounter or even choose to associate with, let alone have to be around IRL. It has already been eye opening for me and I appreciate it.

Did I answer the question?

Or was, as another poster pointed out, my post way too long and blocky to be worthy of a read?