User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 125

  1. #71
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    But doesn't civilization begin when laws are made?
    I'm not sure what you're getting at.

  2. #72
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I have a feeling that it's the law that shapes these desires. I mean, the law is what defines what's good and what's bad, be it the law of your family, the law of your country, or the law of your religion.
    i disagree.

    i have no religion.

    i have moral values that no one in my family upholds. logically coherent moral values i've thought through myself.

    i just have my superego.

    i mean, obviously cultural values are at play here. but i'm very good at seeing how other people will be affected by my actions, and i try my hardest to make everyone as happy as possible, weighted to how important they are to me. and shit, i break the law all the time. the law doesn't mean shit to me.

  3. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    Zzzz
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    Emasculate the female murderers and rapists as well? Wouldn't that lose definiton?
    Hmm, we must invent a new term for females then. Since I'm too lazy, you can do it!

    It seems when people talk about murderers and rapists they always think about males. They should just change the term to murderman or rapeman.
    I wasn't picking on males only but females too! Disfigure them all so they can't enjoy sex! Ruin their nerve endings so they can't create new seuxal neurlogical pathways along their shins so they can get off! We must peel their three epidermal layers or as far as we can w/o killing them!

    Mailmen as well. I hate being reminded that those sweaty, husky, prone to mass murder, postal workers are primarily thought of as men. So sexist
    .


    Congrats on the provocative new avatar Delirious.
    Why, thank you, it's as I say, she fits my imagination quite well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Exactly why is the difficult childhood scenario an excuse?
    It isn't an excuse but it bears taking note of the influences of these offenders in order to root out the cause of it. Just as abused children/people can become offenders, these people are more prone in developing depressions/sucidial thoughts/become bittered or become future victims merely perpetuating the pattern they had in childhood.

    By being more aware of the effects of child abuse or abuse in general, society can works towards weeding it out and implementing safer conditions.

  4. #74
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    All decisions face some problems regarding subjectivity, we can't go getting rid of every law now can we? You have to try to be as objective as possible, hence my point about using neuro-analysis to single out the proper targets.
    The field is still wide open to corruption, of course. That's why I'm not in favor of it. It's really more of an ideal thought.


    Tell me dissonance, should all of our American soldiers go to jail?
    They are killing people after all.
    good one. you're right, it's all shades of gray.

    but i don't think that's the same as some dude on the street telling me to go kill someone and then doing it. you think i should be held less accountable because some random told me to do it?

    the difference with your example is that the culture and government approve of it. it is gray, though. i can't really make a good logical argument here.

  5. #75
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    good one. you're right, it's all shades of gray.

    but i don't think that's the same as some dude on the street telling me to go kill someone and then doing it. you think i should be held less accountable because some random told me to do it?

    the difference with your example is that the culture and government approve of it. it is gray, though. i can't really make a good logical argument here.
    It's circumstantial, but I do honestly think, in some cases, an accomplice or certainly an accessory to a crime is less guilty.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  6. #76
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    i mean, obviously cultural values are at play here. but i'm very good at seeing how other people will be affected by my actions, and i try my hardest to make everyone as happy as possible, weighted to how important they are to me. and shit, i break the law all the time. the law doesn't mean shit to me.
    But I think people make others happy so they can feel protected. People do nice things because they want something in return. Likewise, most people don't do mean things because they don't want it to come back to them.

    However, I find that when a certain act of cruelty is not illegal or has very limited consequences, pretty much everyone will take the cruel route or whatever route that benefits themselves the most.

  7. #77
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,905

    Default

    I'd like to add how impressed I am that this all came from a photo of a macaque. That is one profound macaque.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  8. #78
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It's circumstantial, but I do honestly think, in some cases, an accomplice or certainly an accessory to a crime is less guilty.
    but i don't think that means we should kill all murderers on the off chance that they somehow succeed in talking someone else into committing a crime through the bars of their cell.

    maybe cut off their visitors or something?

    i mean, killing them is as extreme as you can get. it seems way fucking over the top.

    and shit, what if the new einstein was sitting in jail doing research? you think we should kill him just because he might tell someone else to jaywalk?

  9. #79
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    But I think people make others happy so they can feel protected. People do nice things because they want something in return. Likewise, most people don't do mean things because they don't want it to come back to them.

    However, I find that when a certain act of cruelty is not illegal or has very limited consequences, pretty much everyone will take the cruel route or whatever route that benefits themselves the most.
    well, everyone always does what they decide benefits them most. it's kind of a moot point.

    what you don't understand is that it would negatively benefit me to do something cruel. so i'd go way the fuck out of my way not to. not because of the law, but because of selfishness!

  10. #80
    Rats off to ya! Mort Belfry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    Hmm, we must invent a new term for females then. Since I'm too lazy, you can do it!
    Evaginate? Demystify? Ennervulate? Vulva-Vanish? Bereft-Beaver-Bereavement?

    No, I can't think of anything that is apt, non-vulgar and funny.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    I wasn't picking on males only but females too! Disfigure them all so they can't enjoy sex! Ruin their nerve endings so they can't create new seuxal neurlogical pathways along their shins so they can get off! We must peel their three epidermal layers or as far as we can w/o killing them!
    That can be your job, then. A melon baller should do.

    The other alternative is to just buy them all a ton of shoes and they'd quickly lose interest in sex.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    It isn't an excuse but it bears taking note of the influences of these offenders in order to root out the cause of it. Just as abused children/people can become offenders, these people are more prone in developing depressions/sucidial thoughts/become bittered or become future victims merely perpetuating the pattern they had in childhood.
    Maybe if they developed their sucidal thoughts more in their teens, the problem would sort itself out.
    Why do we always come here?

    I guess we'll never know.

    It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

Similar Threads

  1. [ESFP] Lack of spontaneous friends for an ESFP
    By shanix in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-23-2015, 09:29 AM
  2. "Cures" prevent the study of spontaneous remission?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-11-2015, 08:24 AM
  3. [INTJ] How many of you would like to see INTJ in tears ?
    By Virtual ghost in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 01-06-2010, 12:23 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-09-2009, 04:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO