User Tag List

First 210111213 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

So far I've had a pretty good ability to let my sense of justice overide my personal feelings.

I frankly just don't see what the point is to causing pain for someone else.
    There is benefit in doing this. There are, just maybe, potential risks, and seeing as how there is no reward, any risk is too high a risk.
    Like I said, just kill. And I'm still against that, because of innocent victims of capital punishment.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    turns out he used to be kept by an old couple, who gave him away. The bird thinks he's human, so he refuses to mix with other birds. And only talks to people. He doesn't think of himself as a bird. So he always stays away from the other birds, and hangs on close to the fence, where he can be closest to people.
    That's so sad. The old couple probably thought they were doing him a favor by giving him to a responsible home. But, people so often underestimate the permanent impact they have on animals. Birds can be very intelligent, especially the ones capable of speech and they can be imprinted when young. I've heard of more than one story where a speaking bird got very attached to their owner.

I know some people hate animal lovers, the ASPCA, and PETA for going 'overboard' or misplacing empathy and anthropomorphizing animals, but I think it's a gift to be able to see the humanity? in animals and be able to respect life.

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

What do you guys think about the world eating insects instead of cows, chickens, pigs, and so on?

They could be raised much more cheaply than cows and whatnot and would have a comparatively insignificant impact on the environment. It would be so much more sustainable and there are many more places in which insects could be raised. You could probably even integrate it into a greener garbage disposal system...

But you'd have to eat bugs!

Also, I'm not sure if PETA's empathy extends to invertebrates. Mine does -- I wont even kill spiders in my apartment.

Sorry. Random thought.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I know some people hate animal lovers, the ASPCA, and PETA for going 'overboard' or misplacing empathy and anthropomorphizing animals, but I think it's a gift to be able to see the humanity? in animals and be able to respect life.
    You can't throw the ASPCA and PETA in the same boat. That's like saying Susan B. Anthony and Andrea Dworkin are the same.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

*isn't very good at this empathy stuff*

Sadness of image is probably enhanced by the fact that the monkey and pose are both very human-like, easy to relate to.

It's like when that guy gave the rabbit in his yard a name and threatened to kill it if people didn't donate.

If an NF could see the sadness of all the animals being tested on in the world its head would explode.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    istp

so dismal. :sad:

despite the the benefit of whatever study it might be involved in, the fact remains that there was no choice involved.

freedom is conductive to happiness

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    You can't throw the ASPCA and PETA in the same boat. That's like saying Susan B. Anthony and Andrea Dworkin are the same.
    You mean they're not?* They're different in degrees but the concept is the same. What I was pointing out is that a lot of people don't really care even for the concept of 'animal welfare' no matter if you put it in anthropomorphic terms, in terms of humanity needing to be good shepherds, that compassion is good for humanity, etc. etc. etc. Some people just don't care, suffering in animals either doesn't bother them and/or they choose to ignore it.

BTW, Andrea Dworkin is one of my heroines. Fuck Norman Mailer. Maybe I should merge this post with the 'Feminism' thread.

And I eat bugs. I like bugs. The ones I've had were crunchy and/or mealy. People are turning to bugs because food is scarce or else like you said traditional animal farming is not practical or even dangerous to the ecology. Nemo, you are a kind NT...robot? with a pipe?

Now that you mention it, I'm a little surprised no one has started the 'eating meat' discussion. It would seem to flow naturally from the OP.

I just realized, I think sharing a personality type and initials (CC), Captain Chick has rubbed off on me and turned me more into a potty mouth!

MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    <3
    Socionics
    wtf

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    And I eat bugs. I like bugs. The ones I've had were crunchy and/or mealy. People are turning to bugs because food is scarce or else like you said traditional animal farming is not practical or even dangerous to the ecology. Nemo, you are a kind NT...robot? with a pipe?
    Oh man. I defy anyone who grew up in the 80's/early 90's and watched Transformers to walk through a toy store and not buy that super cool Optimus Prime helmet with built in voice-changer.

When my friend and I saw them we were nearly brought to tears. Oh, how I've longed to live out my fantasy of destroying those evil Decepticons...

And don't ask what two college students were doing in a toy store, either.

Interesting story: we then had a contest to see who could keep the helmet on the longest. I lasted 2.5 days. Taking showers was... awkward. Not to mention eating and drinking. Luckily it was a three day weekend or something so neither of us had work or school, because my room mates literally thought I'd finally lost my mind. Society at large clearly couldn't handle the extraordinary amount of win and awesome contained in one cranial accessory.

But that is way too much personal information before my morning jog.
    You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. - Jack London

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    spongie!

i'm going to have to agree too, though.

and yes. In response to Jae Rae. I was in England once. One of the castles. They kept an aviary there. There was this macaw, a gorgeous one called George. He just stood at the edge of his cage, looking so sad. (you never thought a bird could look depressed. )

turns out he used to be kept by an old couple, who gave him away. The bird thinks he's human, so he refuses to mix with other birds. And only talks to people. He doesn't think of himself as a bird. So he always stays away from the other birds, and hangs on close to the fence, where he can be closest to people.

odd world...
    My mother lived next door to a guy who kept a monkey as a pet. He eventually moved to a retirement home, but the monkey couldn't go with him. Monkey died of a broken heart, which surprised my mother. Some people just don't understand that animals, especially primates, form deep attachments and need more than just basic caretaking.

Once my husband and I left our cat in the care of his seemingly kindly boss. When we returned the cat was dirty, had splotches of green paint on her fur from sleeping on a damp dropcloth and looked very unhappy. Turns out the boss grew up on a farm where cats were used as ratters. She didn't grasp the idea of a cat as a beloved pet that's part of the family. As long as she fed our cat, she thought she was doing us a favor.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    ENTP

The picture doesn't invoke anything in me. If it was a human child I'd probably be like "damn, that's fucked up", though I wouldn't feel like crying. But I don't really care about a random monkey or claim to know what it's feeling.
    I don't wanna!