2 1.23%
  • Uberfuhrer

11 6.79%
  • Other

9 5.56%
First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

I didn't mean to open a can of worms, I'm just pointing out that though this seems like a simple question, there are some people for whom this fundamental question has never been something they've been able to just answer without doubt... that their gender or sex is not something they've been able to take for granted like most people do, and asking questions like this, especially later on limiting it to only those people for whom these matters are simple and straight forward, sorta can have an effect of further alienating the minority who have to fight and struggle for this fundamental part of their identity.

IOW, the fact that most people would think I was being unreasonable and getting het up about nothing only proves the point... that most people are ignorant and underestimate the effect of a majority view of gender being binary and one and the same thing as sex, has on the people who are marginalized or even demonized by it.

Though I can see how what I'm doing is kinda the equivalent of walking into a room full of people talking about what they're having for their Thanksgiving dinner and reminding everyone that there are people starving in the world...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    ...asking questions like this, especially later on limiting it to only those people for whom these matters are simple and straight forward, sorta can have an effect of further alienating the minority who have to fight and struggle for this fundamental part of their identity.

IOW, the fact that most people would think I was being unreasonable and getting het up about nothing only proves the point... that most people are ignorant and underestimate the effect of a majority view of gender being binary and one and the same thing as sex, has on the people who are marginalized or even demonized by it.
    At the least I do think it's clear that people in similar circumstances can approach something from opposite sides... which means there's no blanket answer.

I don't think sex = gender; however, if I had to pick one, I feel more marginalized by being forced to expose my actual past in detail because it seems to insinuate that there is something wrong with me and it excludes me from my identified gender ("Here we have a bunch of women... and plus there's this oddball.") Do I really want to be known as a T person all my life? Or do I just want to be accepted for what I look to be and identify with?

I don't want to discuss it more here, since it's a derail and making a fun thread into a far too serious one (I'll discuss it elsewhere if anyone wants). I just see both attitudes in the T community -- some feel dismissed if forced to be lumped into binary groups, others feel dismissed for being forced into their own little group.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Night is a Knight.
    Thank you very much - your kindness exceeds your subject.

MBTI
    type

well you gotta admit, removing those is kinda like saying people like me and Jennifer don't count or something... I personally understand where you're coming from and don't feel at all offended, but I know other people who do get very upset about that sorta thing and I can see where they're coming from too...
    why would people get upset? you are you, and really, the people who'd judge and say otherwise, those are the ones who know nothing. as far as the lady elf is concerned, gender matters less than character. That's how one chooses one's friends.

I didn't mean to open a can of worms, I'm just pointing out that though this seems like a simple question, there are some people for whom this fundamental question has never been something they've been able to just answer without doubt... that their gender or sex is not something they've been able to take for granted like most people do, and asking questions like this, especially later on limiting it to only those people for whom these matters are simple and straight forward, sorta can have an effect of further alienating the minority who have to fight and struggle for this fundamental part of their identity.

you just go and be exactly who you are.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

well you gotta admit, removing those is kinda like saying people like me and Jennifer don't count or something... I personally understand where you're coming from and don't feel at all offended, but I know other people who do get very upset about that sorta thing and I can see where they're coming from too...
    One thing I've learned about a large group of people is that no matter how hard you try to please everyone, it's just not possible. Especially with all the MBTI types lumped into one place. You and Jennifer are actually some of my favorite posters. I would name all of my favorite posters, but then I run the risk of more hurt feelings. Just know that I am not one to intentionally set out to upset or hurt anyone and my heart is usually in the right place. Jennifer knows all this and more which is why she is one of my favorite posters. I don't have to speak a special language to communicate with her and I do appreciate that.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENTP

I know you're not Jen, dont worry, I really wasn't aiming at you at all, I think you're lovely and a very sweet person, I wouldn't for a minute think you ever meant any offence or harm.

Just put it down to NT compulsive clarification/extrapolation...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I know you're not Jen, dont worry, I really wasn't aiming at you at all, I think you're lovely and a very sweet person, I wouldn't for a minute think you ever meant any offence or harm.

Just put it down to NT compulsive clarification/extrapolation...
    No worries. I live with a man whose SLOAN score is RCOEI, so we're cool.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ISTx

I'm surprised how people are complicating this thread...

This thread is to find out if you have a penis or vagina, it's that simple.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Ah, so Mort Belfry and Eldahn share my gender! I'm still confused as to what my gender is supposed to be about. Maybe Mort and Eldahn can describe their sexual selves!
    I can do one better and talk about my sexual shelves.

My shelves are overtly sexual, you stack a row of books on them and instantly they're ready for a rubbing. The sheer excitement and perspiration have given me many a moist tome.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    GONE

I think Sub and Jennifer are very 'good-humored' about their transitioned/transitioning status all things considered.

And absolutely no need to apologize for 'inconveniencing' anyone..for what, your very existence?

While it shouldn't have to be your responsibility or burden to educate people on sex and gender and tell your own stories every time a topic like this comes up, I think it's very valuable for the community. We're all equal members here and have the right to be recognized.

It's also only natural that in a large group of people that you come to realize the diversity that there is in it, including diversity of personal experience and where people are coming from. It's good practice not to get too comfortable in your assumptions and about labels. Diversity is challenging, that doesn't mean it's a negative thing or an automatic buzzkill. Especially as there are folks who IRL these issues have not come up (yet) it can make them more sensitive and aware.

I don't think your contributions have 'killed' this thread. I'm still amused by the fact that I thought Dana and Jae Rae were both dudes! In fact, I thought they were gay men...and it makes so much more sense now!