User Tag List

View Poll Results: What sex are you?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Female

    66 40.74%
  • Male

    70 43.21%
  • Born male, now female

    1 0.62%
  • Born female, now male

    3 1.85%
  • I'm not sure

    2 1.23%
  • Uberfuhrer

    11 6.79%
  • Other

    9 5.56%
First 910111213 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 158

  1. #101
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    I didn't mean to open a can of worms, I'm just pointing out that though this seems like a simple question, there are some people for whom this fundamental question has never been something they've been able to just answer without doubt... that their gender or sex is not something they've been able to take for granted like most people do, and asking questions like this, especially later on limiting it to only those people for whom these matters are simple and straight forward, sorta can have an effect of further alienating the minority who have to fight and struggle for this fundamental part of their identity.

    IOW, the fact that most people would think I was being unreasonable and getting het up about nothing only proves the point... that most people are ignorant and underestimate the effect of a majority view of gender being binary and one and the same thing as sex, has on the people who are marginalized or even demonized by it.

    Though I can see how what I'm doing is kinda the equivalent of walking into a room full of people talking about what they're having for their Thanksgiving dinner and reminding everyone that there are people starving in the world...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  2. #102
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    ...asking questions like this, especially later on limiting it to only those people for whom these matters are simple and straight forward, sorta can have an effect of further alienating the minority who have to fight and struggle for this fundamental part of their identity.

    IOW, the fact that most people would think I was being unreasonable and getting het up about nothing only proves the point... that most people are ignorant and underestimate the effect of a majority view of gender being binary and one and the same thing as sex, has on the people who are marginalized or even demonized by it.
    At the least I do think it's clear that people in similar circumstances can approach something from opposite sides... which means there's no blanket answer.

    I don't think sex = gender; however, if I had to pick one, I feel more marginalized by being forced to expose my actual past in detail because it seems to insinuate that there is something wrong with me and it excludes me from my identified gender ("Here we have a bunch of women... and plus there's this oddball.") Do I really want to be known as a T person all my life? Or do I just want to be accepted for what I look to be and identify with?

    I don't want to discuss it more here, since it's a derail and making a fun thread into a far too serious one (I'll discuss it elsewhere if anyone wants). I just see both attitudes in the T community -- some feel dismissed if forced to be lumped into binary groups, others feel dismissed for being forced into their own little group.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  3. #103
    Boring old fossil Night's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None
    Posts
    4,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Night is a Knight.
    Thank you very much - your kindness exceeds your subject.

  4. #104
    a white iris elfinchilde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    1,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    well you gotta admit, removing those is kinda like saying people like me and Jennifer don't count or something... I personally understand where you're coming from and don't feel at all offended, but I know other people who do get very upset about that sorta thing and I can see where they're coming from too...
    why would people get upset? you are you, and really, the people who'd judge and say otherwise, those are the ones who know nothing. as far as the lady elf is concerned, gender matters less than character. That's how one chooses one's friends.

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I didn't mean to open a can of worms, I'm just pointing out that though this seems like a simple question, there are some people for whom this fundamental question has never been something they've been able to just answer without doubt... that their gender or sex is not something they've been able to take for granted like most people do, and asking questions like this, especially later on limiting it to only those people for whom these matters are simple and straight forward, sorta can have an effect of further alienating the minority who have to fight and struggle for this fundamental part of their identity.

    IOW, the fact that most people would think I was being unreasonable and getting het up about nothing only proves the point... that most people are ignorant and underestimate the effect of a majority view of gender being binary and one and the same thing as sex, has on the people who are marginalized or even demonized by it.


    you just go and be exactly who you are.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

    --T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

  5. #105
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    well you gotta admit, removing those is kinda like saying people like me and Jennifer don't count or something... I personally understand where you're coming from and don't feel at all offended, but I know other people who do get very upset about that sorta thing and I can see where they're coming from too...
    One thing I've learned about a large group of people is that no matter how hard you try to please everyone, it's just not possible. Especially with all the MBTI types lumped into one place. You and Jennifer are actually some of my favorite posters. I would name all of my favorite posters, but then I run the risk of more hurt feelings. Just know that I am not one to intentionally set out to upset or hurt anyone and my heart is usually in the right place. Jennifer knows all this and more which is why she is one of my favorite posters. I don't have to speak a special language to communicate with her and I do appreciate that.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  6. #106
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    I know you're not Jen, dont worry, I really wasn't aiming at you at all, I think you're lovely and a very sweet person, I wouldn't for a minute think you ever meant any offence or harm.

    Just put it down to NT compulsive clarification/extrapolation...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  7. #107
    unscannable Tigerlily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    5,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I know you're not Jen, dont worry, I really wasn't aiming at you at all, I think you're lovely and a very sweet person, I wouldn't for a minute think you ever meant any offence or harm.

    Just put it down to NT compulsive clarification/extrapolation...
    No worries. I live with a man whose SLOAN score is RCOEI, so we're cool.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

  8. #108
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    I'm surprised how people are complicating this thread...

    This thread is to find out if you have a penis or vagina, it's that simple.

  9. #109
    Rats off to ya! Mort Belfry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Ah, so Mort Belfry and Eldahn share my gender! I'm still confused as to what my gender is supposed to be about. Maybe Mort and Eldahn can describe their sexual selves!
    I can do one better and talk about my sexual shelves.

    My shelves are overtly sexual, you stack a row of books on them and instantly they're ready for a rubbing. The sheer excitement and perspiration have given me many a moist tome.
    Why do we always come here?

    I guess we'll never know.

    It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

  10. #110
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    I think Sub and Jennifer are very 'good-humored' about their transitioned/transitioning status all things considered.

    And absolutely no need to apologize for 'inconveniencing' anyone..for what, your very existence?

    While it shouldn't have to be your responsibility or burden to educate people on sex and gender and tell your own stories every time a topic like this comes up, I think it's very valuable for the community. We're all equal members here and have the right to be recognized.

    It's also only natural that in a large group of people that you come to realize the diversity that there is in it, including diversity of personal experience and where people are coming from. It's good practice not to get too comfortable in your assumptions and about labels. Diversity is challenging, that doesn't mean it's a negative thing or an automatic buzzkill. Especially as there are folks who IRL these issues have not come up (yet) it can make them more sensitive and aware.

    I don't think your contributions have 'killed' this thread. I'm still amused by the fact that I thought Dana and Jae Rae were both dudes! In fact, I thought they were gay men...and it makes so much more sense now!

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] What type are you, and what flaw/sin do you struggle with most?
    By Carbarrawr in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 05-12-2014, 08:49 PM
  2. [ISFP] What were/are you like in school?
    By Quinlan in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 12:38 PM
  3. [NT] how generous are you with your knowledge?
    By ThatGirl in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 09:14 AM
  4. What type are you?
    By Economica in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO