User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default MBTI in mainstream media

Apologies if this has already been posted.

At Slate.com: The Supervisor, the Champion, and the Promoter: What psychological personality tests reveal about Clinton, Obama, and McCain.

IMO she got at least Clinton (INTJ, not ESTJ) and Obama (ENTP, not ENFP) wrong (I don't know enough about McCain to have an opinion of his type), but hey, it's MBTI in a reputable online magazine.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post

At Slate.com: The Supervisor, the Champion, and the Promoter: What psychological personality tests reveal about Clinton, Obama, and McCain.

IMO she got at least Clinton (INTJ, not ESTJ) and Obama (ENTP, not ENFP) wrong (I don't know enough about McCain to have an opinion of his type), but hey, it's MBTI in a reputable online magazine.
    I think they called Gore an INTP when they covered him years ago. (Yeah. Right.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

ISTJ the majority of top executives followed by ESTJ?

I'd be interested to see if that is true...no offense to STJs.

I guess being SP would make sense for JFK, though, considering his apparent lack of reasoning ability in multiple areas.

Emily Yoffe: No! This is journalism—I know better than they do what type they are
    Nice.

Ferguson, Mo.: Hey, Emily. Thanks for bringing your expertise to this weighty issue. I'm an INTF. Does that make me more likely to prefer another INTF
    I assume this is a typo the she just ignored.

and as someone pointed out...Al Gore as INTP? Now...I'm not one to discount the fact that INTPs could, possibly, care about the environment...but come on. I'm not sure that I see Obama as an ENFP, either. He definitely seems like a T, although I might lean more towards ENTJ...maybe.

Emily Yoffe: I didn't do Edwards, but let's see. He's an E—an introvert.
    Did no one proof read this thing?

Arlington, Va.: You're attempting something very dangerous—you're psychoanalyzing from afar. I'm an INTJ, but I'm a powerful public speaker and a strong leader—because I have to be. If you watched me work, you never would guess I'm an INTJ. Any chance you've been fooled by the candidates?

Emily Yoffe: No, no chance whatsoever, because I'm an ENTP and I have strong intuitive powers! I agree you can't type someone based on a single encounter. But all three candidates have been in the spotlight for years—some for many years—and there is a great deal of literature about their behaviors and styles. So I feel pretty confident. I did have a big debate about whether Hillary was an introvert or extrovert. I decided on extrovert because she is not one of those people who likes to lock herself in her office for hours just to think. But she's just barely an extrovert, unlike her husband who is totally extroverted.

But look at her behavior in college: sophomore class president, senior class president. In the summer of 1968 she wasn't marching and hanging out on a commune, she came to Washington for a congressional internship and wrote policy papers on revenue sharing. That is a Guardian, not a Rational!
    Ok...she has no idea what she is talking about. I don't really think there's reason to further disect this.
    Last edited by Metamorphosis; 02-21-2008 at 06:17 PM.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post

Yep, that was my impression of Obama- DEFINITELY an ENTP. His wife is most likely an INFJ/ENTJ. I often have times distinguishing between INFJ women and ENTJ women.

Hillary Clinton strikes me as an I/ENTJ

Al Gore ESTJ

McCain

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I'd believe that most top executives are STJ depending on what you classify as a top executive. If you classify it as anything VP and up then yes mostly STJ's. On the other hand if you are only counting CEO's then I'd say NTJ's are the most numerous. In order to be a VP all you really need is hard work and dedication which STJ's have in spades. On the other hand to make CEO you need insight that your peers do not have, so I'd say NTJ's have an advantage in that respect.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ISTP

Glad to see this is funny met :rolli:

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I'd believe that most top executives are STJ depending on what you classify as a top executive. If you classify it as anything VP and up then yes mostly STJ's. On the other hand if you are only counting CEO's then I'd say NTJ's are the most numerous. In order to be a VP all you really need is hard work and dedication which STJ's have in spades. On the other hand to make CEO you need insight that your peers do not have, so I'd say NTJ's have an advantage in that respect.
    No and no. Executives = 60% STJs, Upper Management = 43% STJs. NTJs make up 25% and 29% respectively (ie: they go down in CxO and president/VP positions.)

RAWRRRR.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Thanks. My point was that I know very few STJs who's priority is professional success...and you don't get that high in a major company without it being pretty important to you.

and I don't see how it is even measurable. Have conclusive studies actually been done?
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post

No and no. Executives = 60% STJs, Upper Management = 43% STJs. NTJs make up 25% and 29% respectively (ie: they go down in CxO and president/VP positions.)

RAWRRRR.
    You have a link?

Also this may depend on how the various companies hand out titles. In my company all executives basically have VP attached somewhere on their title. There are hundreds of vice presidents at my company. I can easily see this being 60% STJ (which agrees with what I said before). I don't think we're disagreeing, just using different terminology.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    and I don't see how it is even measurable. Have conclusive studies actually been done?
    Yes. Measurable? By having them take the test...? Yah, that's done a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    You have a link?
    No, but you can get it from "Type Talk at Work", or from CPP (but that's expensive). Might be able to amazon preview it the type talk books.

Also this may depend on how the various companies hand out titles. In my company all executives basically have VP attached somewhere on their title. There are hundreds of vice presidents at my company. I can easily see this being 60% STJ (which agrees with what I said before). I don't think we're disagreeing, just using different terminology.
    Wherever you wish to draw the line, there are less NTJs at the higher levels. There are more STJs at the higher level. NTJs do not make up the bulk of higher positions - quite the opposite.

Most studies rank the top two ranks (CxO and President, if they are seperated) as executive, fwiw. Upper management are those that report to a manager but have managers under them (VPs, for example). Middle managers are the ones that manage front line employees.