Thread: Do You Stare?

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Question Do You Stare?

Do you stare at people when you're in public? What type of person does this? Is it some kind of sensory/mental problem that causes people to stare for long periods of time?

I was at the car wash the other day and this man was perched on a stool staring at each person who walked in from outside. I found this rather annoying but went about my business of cleaning out my purse while he stared (freak). Another woman was coming in to pay. I noticed she had a rather voluptuous figure but again saw her for 3 seconds and then went back to what I was doing. Well this dipshit didn't take his eyes off her (yeah I was watching, not staring)! It pissed me off so I said on my way out, "Do you work here?" He said no. I then said, "Oh, because you seem to be the greeter here since you're making eye contact (my nice way of saying you're staring, stop it!) with everyone who walks in this place." He just sat there looking like a retard while the cashier just said, "Owha hays jest a rally nahce guy." :rolli:

Anyway this Seinfeld episode pretty much sums up how you should behave in public.
    Last edited by Tigerlily; 02-19-2008 at 12:44 PM.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INXP

Gosh! I hope he realises that in body language 10 seconds of returned sustained eye contact will lead to sexual interaction or a fight to the death. I bet he gets the latter more times than he expects if someone returns his stare...

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Gosh! I hope he realises that in body language 10 seconds of returned sustained eye contact will lead to sexual interaction or a fight to the death. I bet he gets the latter more times than he expects if someone returns his stare...
    Definitely not the first and likely not the second, but I'll bet a kick in the head or teeth would learn him good!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Talking

:yim_rolling_on_the_

It might be a sensory problem, in some ways O.o I find myself doing it sometimes but then I snap out of it because I know it's not polite to stare

But really, eye contact can get you a lot Like if you're in a crowded bar.
    If you try to hold the eye contact with the bartender (preferrably of the other sex, otherwise considered gay), then you can bet your ass that you won't have to "stand in line" for very long. Quick drinks

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTP

I would guess it just depends on what you have to deal with on a daily basis. I am sure there are some that would really like people to notice them more. Me, for instance, I only get people briefly looking my way and then suppressing a gag reflex. Really starting to annoy me...

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    ...It pissed me off so I said on my way out, "Do you work here?" He said no. I then said, "Oh, because you seem to be the greeter here since you're making eye contact (my nice way of saying you're staring, stop it!) with everyone who walks in this place." He just sat there looking like a retard while the cashier just said, "Owha hues jest a rally nahce guy." :rolli:...

I've asked can I get my face back. Embarrassing people that act up usually gets the job done. If not, throw a diva fit and people slink away.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post

I've asked can I get my face back. Embarrassing people that act up usually gets the job done. If not, throw a diva fit and people slink away.
    We'd have loads of fun together I can tell.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w%

I'm either oblivious to other people around me, or at times I can be considered staring at someone since I've been told by people to stop staring at people who pass at times.

The reality is tho if I do end up staring at someone, my thoughts are of something else. In most cases they'll have triggered something in my head and the stare is more or less an unconscious focus while I play with it in my mind.

The last time I was told to stop staring by my best friend was when a guy passed by walking with his bike, the one pedal was in his hand and my thoughts were on why it was off the bike, and memories of an old bike I had where it kept falling off as well, and the mechanics that went into it all such as the reversed threading etc. The guy pushing his bike a long didn't exist in my head at the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fe/Fi 36.9/37.7
    Ne/Ni 34.9/25.8
    Se/Si 25.7/19.5
    Te/Ti 28.4/31.9
    Type: 2w% sx/sp/so

I don't want it, I just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.

Never take life to seriously.. No one gets out alive in the end anyway.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ewww... no- I don't stare- that's just tacky! People are creeped out by staring, it's good not to creep people out because then they won't be agreeable if you ask them to do something or something like that, therefore staring at people is a bad idea!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Years ago when we were selling our home in Miami, I had to go downtown to have some permit signed. After I was finished I got on the elevator with a bunch of Latino men (likely in construction) and one of them was seriously staring at my chest. I watched him and let me tell you his eyes never left that region the entire time we were on that elevator. Nasty bastard. :rolleyes2: