Thread: Do You Stare?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Do you stare at people when you're in public? What type of person does this? Is it some kind of sensory/mental problem that causes people to stare for long periods of time?

I was at the car wash the other day and this man was perched on a stool staring at each person who walked in from outside. I found this rather annoying but went about my business of cleaning out my purse while he stared (freak). Another woman was coming in to pay. I noticed she had a rather voluptuous figure but again saw her for 3 seconds and then went back to what I was doing. Well this dipshit didn't take his eyes off her (yeah I was watching, not staring)! It pissed me off so I said on my way out, "Do you work here?" He said no. I then said, "Oh, because you seem to be the greeter here since you're making eye contact (my nice way of saying you're staring, stop it!) with everyone who walks in this place." He just sat there looking like a retard while the cashier just said, "Owha hays jest a rally nahce guy." :rolli:

Anyway this Seinfeld episode pretty much sums up how you should behave in public.
    Maybe there is something mentally wrong with him?
    I was taught it's not polite to stare, so I try not to do it, though some times it's really tempting when I see someone unusual and I don't understand what I'm seeing, but I want to understand.

Sometimes people may think I'm staring at them when in fact I'm staring into space though it might happen to be in their direction.

MBTI
    INFP

I stare if I'm being spoken to (one-on-one or as a member of an audience, eg class) but otherwise I don't like to look at people. They annoy me.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Anyway this Seinfeld episode pretty much sums up how you should behave in public.
    I feel sorry for guys these days really.
    I mean how realistic is it to put their very favorite thing to look at right in front of them on display and then get mad at them when they look!
    I think that if a gal doesn't want guys to look at her cleavage, she shouldn't show her cleavage.
    A guy's eyes and a gal's cleavage is like magnets and steel.

But like I said I feel sorry for guys.
    They get the blame when I think it's the fashion world that should get the blame, since boob-shirts are practically all you can find for sale anywhere.

heart on fire

Whenever I would travel back home to TX from Northern CA, the first thing I would be struck with was how much EVERYBODY in TX stared at everyone else, even in cars on the hwy. I am not sure why this was.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

If I'm lost in thought then yes I stare, I don't notice that I'm staring, I just do.

MBTI
    yupp

here's what happens when I realize I'm staring: "I should stop staring"--> keep staring-->"no no look away"-->"but what if I'm being rude if i look away maybe the person will kill themselves because I lowered the already very low self esteem"--->"stop it! you're being rude,"-->"I'm trying shit shit shit shit."-->I then finally look away.

Of course if it's someone whose deformed it's like "Oh cool, I wonder how he got that way!--->"wait he probably thinks I'm thinking less of him, look away"--->looks away-->"Oh great now he probably thinks I don't think him human enough to look at"

I need to buy sunglasses.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I feel sorry for guys these days really.
    I mean how realistic is it to put their very favorite thing to look at right in front of them on display and then get mad at them when they look!
    I think that if a gal doesn't want guys to look at her cleavage, she shouldn't show her cleavage.
    A guy's eyes and a gal's cleavage is like magnets and steel.
    Yup... personally, if I chose to dress that way, I'ld take it as a compliment if I got a few stares.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Whenever I would travel back home to TX from CA, the first thing I would be struck with was how much EVERYBODY stared at everyone else, even in cars on the hwy. I am not sure why this was.
    Yeah.. my entire family lives in so. cal, and I notice how important appearance is to everyone there.. It's a culture shock.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I've always preferred to stare at people. I just like to look at people, because they are so fascinating to me. Also I tend to space out a lot, so it looks like I'm staring at people a lot even when I'm not.

I'm not sure what to do if I'm not supposed to stare at people. Where do I look? Generally I figure out what protocol is by watching other people, but if I can't stare then how do I figure it out? Stupid catch 22.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com