User Tag List

12 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Default I need help. I don't know how to get it.

Help as in psychiatric treatment.

I'm not actually sure that I need help, but I'm running out of ideas, I'm in a bit of tight spot, some people have suggested the idea to me, and now someone I know is vehemently telling me I need it.

I don't know anything about how to do this (in ironic contrast to how much I know about psychology). I don't know where or how to go see someone, and what I need to do to get treatment. If it costs any money at all, I probably can't consider it right now, so that's a problem. But my friend says that if I'm unemployed and such there should be a way to get free treatment in my city, supposing they find something wrong with me. Is that true? I don't know.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'm sure you can get healthcare of some sort for a nominal fee if not for free. If I were you I would start with local community health clinic. You can call them tomorrow and ask them what your options are. I can't imagine they would turn you away. Why are they urging you to visit a psychiatrist? It's good that you're at least open to possibility of consulting a professional, seriously.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

^^^ This.

And I know that a lot of agencies offer free help, especially on college campuses and such (if you are still in college?)

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Is there a university hospital in your city? They often have free or reduced fee clinics.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I'm sure you can get healthcare of some sort for a nominal fee if not for free. If I were you I would start with local community health clinic. You can call them tomorrow and ask them what your options are. I can't imagine they would turn you away. Why are they urging you to visit a psychiatrist? It's good that you're at least open to possibility of consulting a professional, seriously.
    I'd rather not get into why. I've already spent enough time talking about it lately.

Quote Originally Posted by vieamemusique View Post
    ^^^ This.

And I know that a lot of agencies offer free help, especially on college campuses and such (if you are still in college?)
    I'm not in college at the time. Even if I were...

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    Is there a university hospital in your city? They often have free or reduced fee clinics.
    The only college I can think of here is a community college which is very small and has no medical facility.

Actually, there's a branch of Penn State, too. I suppose it might.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

County or state mental health.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    County or state mental health.
    And what do I do with that?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well, prepare to have to fill out paperwork and wait, but you can get treatment based upon your income. I don't live in your state so I can't actually give you phone numbers or anything, but this sort of thing is usually easy to find via the regular health department.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I think some of the government agencies might be more willing to take you and an indigent waiver more seriously (i.e. pay for you) if you tell them you are contemplating suicide. Then again they might over prescribe you hard core meds that might mess up your fine brain.

Best bet would be calling around and educating yourself...wish I could tell you more. You're in my prayers/positive vibes.

For what its worth you come off very sane here. Arguably saner than myself admittedly.

Ever think about volunteering for the National Park Service on say a trail crew? They used to house and feed the Volunteers throughout the season get away from the rat race living in a tent in the backcountry of prestine wilderness and get in great shape at the same time...or volunteer at a California Mission (historic catholic churches)...they give you slaker work for about 23 hours a week and then you pray/meditate/slack for the remainer. Prolly pretty calming and meditative if not boring.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Apply for benefits in your state and then take advantage of the mental health services offered?

http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/applyforbenefits/index.htm

http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/foradults...ices/index.htm

Perhaps use the phone numbers listed in the County Assistance Office Contact page to talk to a human being and ask them how to proceed.

It may take time. If the feelings get overwhelmingly bad:
    http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
    1-800-273-TALK (8255)

all the best to you
    Last edited by Vasilisa; 01-15-2011 at 05:10 PM.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism