User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 55

  1. #41
    Senior Member MerkW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I just think it's easier to recognize the earmarks of a type that you are personally very familiar with and have had lots of personal exposure to.
    Indeed, but it is even easier to recognize the "earmraks" of a type that you are yourself.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

    "Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

    INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

  2. #42
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    Indeed, but it is even easier to recognize the "earmarks" of a type that you are yourself.
    I agree.

  3. #43
    filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    3,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I do, on the other hand, vote that he is an INTP, and thinks outside of the box from his own perspective. But to the world at large, his ideas are nothing extraordinary. He is no Einstein. And let's not forget that Richard Feynman had an IQ of a meager 125.
    Yep, I didn't find anything extraordinarily valuable from his ideas, either. I just used his case to jump on the stereotypical ideas of intelligence, in general. Still, I'm glad he seems calm and all-around balanced person with a possibly great IQ.

    His pet theory seems something that a person unexposed to systematic thinking would invent, even tho he's been to collage and read some books. It mostly makes a kind of cute impression, a generally all-around nice guy inventing something he believes in. Something I wouldn't believe in or bother to study, either.

    The idea of IQ elite ruling the world is a bit old too. Informed average people rule just ok, with intelligent (and other) people informing them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    With that said, I think I share sentiments with others when I say I am not that impressed with this guy. I don't care if he has an IQ between 190 and 210. It is, however, quite amazing how the whole world will listen to someone because of his macro-genius IQ.
    I agree. It's interesting to see how these threads about IQ and intelligence always progress, and I think this one is going the same direction as always. IQ doesn't mean anything except you're good at the IQ test.

  5. #45
    Senior Member MerkW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Yep, I didn't find anything extraordinarily valuable from his ideas, either. I just used his case to jump on the stereotypical ideas of intelligence, in general. Still, I'm glad he seems calm and all-around balanced person with a possibly great IQ.

    His pet theory seems something that a person unexposed to systematic thinking would invent, even tho he's been to collage and read some books. It mostly makes a kind of cute impression, a generally all-around nice guy inventing something he believes in. Something I wouldn't believe in or bother to study, either.

    The idea of IQ elite ruling the world is a bit old too. Informed average people rule just ok, with intelligent (and other) people informing them.
    Agreed. One thing that really disturbed me about him was his dogmatic certitude. He actually seemed rather narrow-minded. For example, how he remarked that he is closer to absolute truth than "any man before him." How on earth can he draw such an assumption? He doesn't have a divine insight into the minds of everyone who currently exists and has existed in the past--no one does. So how should he know that he is closer to absolute truth than anyone else? How does he know that absolute truth even exists?
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

    "Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

    INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

  6. #46
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Anyone who thoughtfully connects MBTI to intelligence is not familiar with either.
    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    i mean, what is intelligence if not ability to think outside the box?
    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Your statement asserts my underlying premise quite well.
    i don't get what you're saying here. it seems to me as if your first claim is that there is no connection between MBTI and intelligence -- that attempting to connect the two demonstrates a lack of understanding. did i misinterpret that?

    i guess what you're probably saying is that connecting MBTI and intelligence is NOT thinking outside the box? that thinking outside the box would be to NOT connect the two?

    i don't get this. would you mind explaining?

  7. #47
    Wannabe genius Splittet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    IQ measures your Ti skills more than anything, and even that is limited. It doesn't measure your capacity for vision and to dream up new ideas -- the N function is something that goes beyond the constraints of IQ, because it isn't based on pure logic the way Ti is.

    There are people with extremely high IQs, but a great percentage of them don't really have much imagination, just the ability for logical thinking.

    With that said, I think I share sentiments with others when I say I am not that impressed with this guy. I don't care if he has an IQ between 190 and 210. It is, however, quite amazing how the whole world will listen to someone because of his macro-genius IQ.

    I do, on the other hand, vote that he is an INTP, and thinks outside of the box from his own perspective. But to the world at large, his ideas are nothing extraordinary. He is no Einstein. And let's not forget that Richard Feynman had an IQ of a meager 125.
    I really want to see proof IQ measures Ti skills more than anything else. IQ is most heavily correlated with a N preference.

    To me it seems rather obvious this dude is a genius. A bigger genius than Einstein? Probably. A more important genius than Einstein? Probably not. We should not make the assumption that the biggest geniuses always make the biggest and most revolutionary discoveries. You have to be at the right place at the right time as well, in order to do so. I think it is becoming harder to make these large scientific discoveries. Science has come a long way. A lot of big theories are already in place. Therefore a lot of the scientific discoveries we see today are more specialised, but probably just as difficult to discover as these grand theories, but they are not as important.

    Anyhow, we obviously do not get to see all of his ideas in these three clips. I mean, a person of his intelligence is bound to be intensely complex, and at that IQ level you are also likely to be crazy. Some times he sounded a bit crazy as well.

    His Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe definitely seems original and rather out-of-the-box, whatever that means. The thing is a lot of his ideas will just be too complex for us to understand. The IQ difference between me and this guy is about 70 points. Do I think a guy with an IQ of 55 (70 points below my IQ) will understand my ideas? Hardly. I guess it is somewhat unlikely I will understand his most complex ideas then. How much better do you think you would do than me?

  8. #48
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    I really want to see proof IQ measures Ti skills more than anything else. IQ is most heavily correlated with a N preference.
    i agree. when you're faced with complex problems, you must use both induction and deduction. Ti and Te can only deduce; you need Ne or Ni to come up with new premises to deduce from.

    His Cognitive-Theoretic Model of the Universe definitely seems original and rather out-of-the-box, whatever that means. The thing is a lot of his ideas will just be too complex for us to understand. The IQ difference between me and this guy is about 70 points. Do I think a guy with an IQ of 55 (70 points below my IQ) will understand my ideas? Hardly. I guess it is somewhat unlikely I will understand his most complex ideas then. How much better do you think you would do than me?
    blah. i disagree. he even said himself: complex ideas are just combinations of binary oppositions. if he explains what his assumptions are, i'm sure it would be completely possible to build up the same picture that he has. plus, just because he has a very high IQ doesn't mean he's the best philosopher that ever existed. intelligence is much much more broad than an IQ test measures for.

    in fact, his whole thing about how he's the closest anyone's every been to objective reality is a bunch of nonsense if you ask me. he's got just as subjective a perspective as anyone else. maybe he can hold a bunch of perspectives in his mind at the same time or whatever, but so can lots of people. and even if he can hold the most perspectives in his mind at the same time out of anyone in the world, who's to say those perspectives build a more objective picture than some combination of fewer, different perspectives. he has to make assumptions just like anyone else.

    yeah.

  9. #49
    Senior Member miked277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    343

    Default

    this guy seems to me to be an istj. maybe balanced on the s-n scale. he just didn't seem to me to have that ultra-creative Ni essence. given enough brain power which is what this guy has any type should be able to come up w/ some theories and such on topics that pique their interest.

  10. #50
    Wannabe genius Splittet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    blah. i disagree. he even said himself: complex ideas are just combinations of binary oppositions. if he explains what his assumptions are, i'm sure it would be completely possible to build up the same picture that he has. plus, just because he has a very high IQ doesn't mean he's the best philosopher that ever existed. intelligence is much much more broad than an IQ test measures for.
    You believe you can understand anything, as long as it is logical? I certainly do not believe I can. Some things are just too complex for me to grasp.

    Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    in fact, his whole thing about how he's the closest anyone's every been to objective reality is a bunch of nonsense if you ask me. he's got just as subjective a perspective as anyone else. maybe he can hold a bunch of perspectives in his mind at the same time or whatever, but so can lots of people. and even if he can hold the most perspectives in his mind at the same time out of anyone in the world, who's to say those perspectives build a more objective picture than some combination of fewer, different perspectives. he has to make assumptions just like anyone else.
    I wasn't too fond of that part myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    this guy seems to me to be an istj. maybe balanced on the s-n scale. he just didn't seem to me to have that ultra-creative Ni essence. given enough brain power which is what this guy has any type should be able to come up w/ some theories and such on topics that pique their interest.
    This makes me think that you guys are trying to feel you are just as good as this guy, by trying to make him into an S (unconsciously, of course). If he is an S, and you yourself an N, then he might be smarter than you, but you are more creative.

Similar Threads

  1. For the first time, less than 10 percent of the world is living in extreme poverty
    By Olm the Water King in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-09-2015, 07:27 AM
  2. With the best will in the world, is will enough, can it be sustained?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2012, 07:39 AM
  3. [NT] The world is flat....?
    By tinkerbell in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 09-10-2009, 06:16 PM
  4. The world is...
    By Misty_Mountain_Rose in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 10:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO