User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    so with your definition, you're probably including speed of processing?

edit: i guess you're probably talking about ability to solve complex problems by predefined means. in that sense, N isn't very useful, i'll agree. but if it's a problem that you have no previous experience with, you're gonna need to use N functions.
    Not necessarily. I would define it as one's ability to reason and solve problems. However, you are right in certain ways, as abstract thinking and creativity can be considered subsets of intelligence, as well as memory, speed, and learning ability.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

MBTI
    ISTJ

I don't think he's an S type. He talked about how he gets ideas at certain times. The way he explains how he focuses suggests that he's IN. I don't know about the other preferences.

I think MBTI can apply to people with higher IQs. The only reason certain Myer Briggs types might score higher IQs is because they might be used to applying full concentration to the test ( Introverts ). It doesn't make said types more intelligent, though. That's why I wouldn't hold IQ tests in high regard.

Very interesting, though.

MBTI
    INTJ

by the way, this guy's view on reality isn't very impressive. i mean, he didn't say anything i haven't thought of and integrated into my own view.

based on what i've seen, and applying his own criteria, i have little reason to believe he's any smarter than i am. i mean, it's very likely he's much smarter than i am, but he didn't really show it. anyone have links to some deeper stuff he's said?
    I would like to second that. When I first saw the video some months ago, I was not sure whether this was a hoax. Still am not sure. If the guy is legit, so be it, but he really did not strike me as particularly intelligent.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

i mean, what is intelligence if not ability to think outside the box?
    Your statement asserts my underlying premise quite well.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    He believes in evolution, and he apparently believes there is some kind of god.

I feel sorry for the horrible childhood he endured.

His ideas for running the world are scary to me.

I was wondering if anyone else thinks he's an INTP?
    You have a taker here, I agree he comes off as INTP.

I think, if anything, he comes off as an eccentric, arrogant INTP... and I definitely see parts of an INTP personality shine through his life choices. I wouldn't, however, use him by any means as an example of a typical INTP.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by developer View Post
    I would like to second that. When I first saw the video some months ago, I was not sure whether this was a hoax. Still am not sure. If the guy is legit, so be it, but he really did not strike me as particularly intelligent.
    I didn't gain a whole lot of insight from what he said, but I'm not surprised. Intelligence doesn't necessarily equal complexity. Sometimes the correct answers in life are the simple ones. The way I see it, an intelligent man won't have as much insight as people might expect of him.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Vivid View Post
    I didn't gain a whole lot of insight from what he said, but I'm not surprised. Intelligence doesn't necessarily equal complexity. Sometimes the correct answers in life are the simple ones. The way I see it, an intelligent man won't have as much insight as people might expect of him.
    The youtube comments are quite revealing of how simplistic ideas people have of intelligence. They're some really really small clue to most of them ideas.. like these..
    -failing to use proper grammar at all times
    -not knowing something some supposedly lesser intelligent person knows
    -making a simple mistake
    -not earning a fortune
    -not being able to instantly solve a problem

etc. I've seen these being used over and over again. Yet, these are not very foolproof tests, because..
    -Person may not be a linguist, language teacher or otherwise in position to write perfectly at all times. They may not bother.
    -Intelligent people don't know everything. Not knowing a few things when challenged - say 2 things - is much too small a sample. The amount of information in the world is really astounding.
    -making mistakes is human, and making public mistakes is more a factor of openness, spontaneousness, confidence and such.
    -the person may not share the materialistic values of the skeptic.
    -high-iq people fail to solve problems too, that's why they may not score an iq test at the test ceiling, but still receive high scores.

People have inflated expectations of high-iq people, but whaddya know, what can most people do with what they've been given? Most people fail to notice the 120-iq people around them who don't push their intelligence around. Instead they notice the uptight 90-iq person who's wearing a suit and glasses, someone who's learned two sentences and refuses to elaborate on questions on the basis of their "time being valuable" or other excuse.

People really don't have a clue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Oh and one thing, media portrayals of high IQ people. This sounds like a rant but it isn't. Let me make a comparison first to highlight the issue.

Day and night scenes in real world have luminance ratios (differences in brightness) of about million to one.

Digital equipment can portray a luminance ratio of about 1000:1.

How does the cinematographer portray day and night in television?

He chooses the correct aperture, lightning, puts a red filter on the camera for night scens, the end result being that day and night scenes shown in media have a luminance ratio of 10:1, with night scenes showing up a bit bluish to cue the audience. That's what can be comfortably shown with current equipment, so the ratio has essentially being dynamically compressed.

What they do to intelligence?

Normal person can properly distinguish intelligence about 1-2 standard deviations higher than the average.

Then we have people who are 3-5 higher than the average.

How do we bring the said intelligence into a form understandable and discernible to the audience?

We make them do the norm+1..2 std dev stuff with higher speed, less error rate, higher knowledge, instant answers, incredible problem solving, etc..

No, this really is not rant, but it could be. I'm just a bit sad that the media has affected people's perceptions on this issue so much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

IQ measures your Ti skills more than anything, and even that is limited. It doesn't measure your capacity for vision and to dream up new ideas -- the N function is something that goes beyond the constraints of IQ, because it isn't based on pure logic the way Ti is.

There are people with extremely high IQs, but a great percentage of them don't really have much imagination, just the ability for logical thinking.

With that said, I think I share sentiments with others when I say I am not that impressed with this guy. I don't care if he has an IQ between 190 and 210. It is, however, quite amazing how the whole world will listen to someone because of his macro-genius IQ.

I do, on the other hand, vote that he is an INTP, and thinks outside of the box from his own perspective. But to the world at large, his ideas are nothing extraordinary. He is no Einstein. And let's not forget that Richard Feynman had an IQ of a meager 125.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Merkw View Post
    Would you care to explain the significance of this statement?
    I just think it's easier to recognize the earmarks of a type that you are personally very familiar with and have had lots of personal exposure to.