User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Question Where's the V-Day Rant page?

Did I miss it? I'm a little surprised no one has put up a Valentine's Day rant page. Or perhaps the single people are too suave to do that and be decried for sour grapes.

So I guess if there isn't a V-Day rant page already up, this is as good a place as any to let it rip!

I remember only 1x in my memory being very bitter (and, of course, unwillingly single) on V-day and that was my 2nd year in college. And I was at a woman's college no less. You know, Lezzie Heaven. Hahahaha. :yim_rolling_on_the_

When I worked at a chocolate store, V-Day was like Xmas on steroids so of course I was dealing with it for the whole month. Otherwise, the holiday doesn't register. I think every time I was in a relationship or seeing someone it missed V-day by miles so the day just doesn't register for me. Like Secretary's Day.

I have noticed though that male friends become mysteriously quiet and don't call or even return calls for at least 1 week preceding and a few days after V-Day. Alright dudes, I get it. Sheesh.

I actually have a few people I need to get back in touch with and call, but I'm avoiding doing it until after this week perchance there is mis/ understanding.

Otherwise, I have nothing against V-Day or people who celebrate it. I would prefer to celebrate it a little different from normal, is all.

V-day is just as festive and obligatory, lauded and derided, heartfelt and commercial as any other major holiday. And I like festifivities and excess, so you know, no complaints.

I don't understand single people who hate Valentine's Day. When you're single, you're free to completely ignore it! Valentine's Day only bothers me when I actually have someone. Then you have to acknowledge it in some way.

I don't like this. V-Day is the day when even people who don't care about their SOs get credit for being romantic simply by buying candy and flowers like every other guy on the planet. People who demonstrate their love all year still have to participate even though they have nothing to prove. I can be a great boyfriend all year, but if I don't buy a box of candy and roses on that day, I'm a jerk. I guess if New Year's Eve is amateur night for drinkers, V-Day is amateur night for caring SOs.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I don't understand single people who hate Valentine's Day. When you're single, you're free to completely ignore it! Valentine's Day only bothers me when I actually have someone. Then you have to acknowledge it in some way.

I don't like this. V-Day is the day when even people who don't care about their SOs get credit for being romantic simply by buying candy and flowers like every other guy on the planet. People who demonstrate their love all year still have to participate even though they have nothing to prove. I can be a great boyfriend all year, but if I don't buy a box of candy and roses on that day, I'm a jerk. I guess if New Year's Eve is amateur night for drinkers, V-Day is amateur night for caring SOs.
    These would be my thoughts. +1.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I veiw it as mostly just another commerical holiday in The Land of the Free Refills, aslo know as America. So I tend to ignore its existance until either close to the day of or the day of valentines. Many SOs ive had have not enjoyed this point of veiw cause of course like you said if we dont buy them flowers or candy on this one day we arent a good SO. But I could care less truly, I shouldnt have to buy their love and if they feel that I do need to then my sentiments instantly turn from love for this person to a very defined contempt. So I suppose what im saying is I hate V-Day, oh and any other commercial holiday such as this one or Easter. Both are complete wastes of time.
    SDMF

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

It's mildly annoying to have to remember to fill out all those little cards and send them to school with my sons on the correct day, but otherwise it's not really an event at our house. *shrug*
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post

This is all true, but if my Husband doesn't get me flowers there may be hell to pay. Why you ask? Because I bust my butt all year keeping this place afloat. I am the CEO of Limey Inc and in addition to demonstrating his love for me all year long I want flowers too! I couldn't care less about jewelry, but I love flowers. I might also mention that his Birthday is one day after V Day and I have ordered something very nice for him.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

CzeCze, I recently hosted a womens' group and chose the topic of V-day. Love it, hate it, whatever, bring it on! Several of the mostly married women hated it for trivializing an ineffable connection by reducing it to flowers and candy. I can see that! And nobody there was even unattached!

I made two playlists for the evening, just to be ready for the way the conversation went- a set of romantic, lovey songs, and some HEY FUCK YOU! songs. Guess which one got played.

I, personally, love V-day, for reasons not the least of which is that I lost my virginity on it. (We didn't know it was V-day until after.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Just for fun, my anti-V-day playlist:

Knock 'Em Out, Lily Allen
    Lollipop, MIKA
    They, Jem
    Don't You Evah, Spoon
    Idiot Boyfriend, Jimmy Fallon
    We Need A Resolution, Aaliyah
    Just, Mark Ronson featuring Phantom Planet
    Leave me Alone, Natalie Imbruglia & Portishead
    I Hurt You, Pretenders
    I'm Waking Up To Us, Belle And Sebastian
    Boys Don't Cry, The Cure
    Song for the Dumped, Ben Folds Five
    Hit 'Em Up Style, Blu Cantrell
    Evil Woman, Electric Light Orchestra
    I Will Survive, Cake
    Everything Reminds Me Of Her, Elliott Smith
    Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole, Martha Wainwright
    Smile, Lily Allen
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ISTP

I like Valentine's Day because it's cool to see people come up with their own valentines.

Also: Candy. Valentine's Day exists to tide you over until Easter, which gets way better candy. Easter is awesome. People really need to stop taking holidays like this so seriously. They're not big deals, there's no reason to put any kind of energy in hating them.
    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
    Are you trying to sound like Yoda?

What exactly are you asking(in normal English)?
    Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    *scattering done beforehand not to waste space* "If the Scat Man can do it, brotha, so can you!" BABABADABO Skeebibididiyodadadum ZizSazouiiscatbobliboobizizizScoobydoobyscoobydoom elody! I'm the Scat Man...." *sccccattttttt*

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Oh, come now, I like to bitch about everything.