User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Default Anyone else feel dumb after watching this?

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/5LOEoj...orld-a-lesson/

Although she has interesting points, I can't really get over the fact that she is only twelve. Call it an insecurity on my part, but .... O_O WHUTISTHIS!??!

ThatGirl

This reminds me of def jam poetry.

I wouldn't say it makes me feel stupid, cause yeah.

She is cool though. Very articulate.

A window to the soul

Awe, don't feel dumb. It sounds like her parents have expected a lot from her, taught her a lot of good principles, and supported her determination to get the message out. It's neat to see so much experience and determination for such a little thing. She said she has spoken at 100's of schools.

Her successes are a testament to her message which seems to be targeted at the adults, teachers, etc.: expect more from kids, get more; expect less, get less. She had a book published at 12 7, despite the odds stacked against her.

I like how she said, "the goal is to turn kids into better adults than we are." I agree.

Edit: Most of us grew up in a world like she described where the adults expected less from us because we were kids. IMO, she is trying to show everyone 'by her own example', what a child is capable of with parental/adult support.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by perfectgirl View Post
    Awe, don't feel dumb. It sounds like her parents have expected a lot from her, taught her a lot of good principles, and supported her determination to get the message out. It's neat to see so much experience and determination for such a little thing. She said she has spoken at 100's of schools.

Her successes are a testament to her message which seems to be targeted at the adults, teachers, etc.: expect more from kids, get more; expect less, get less. She had a book published at 12, despite the odds stacked against her.

I like how she said, "the goal is to turn kids into better adults than we are." I agree.

I also agree. Her first book was at seven, I think. Good for her really! We need more people like her, that's for sure. Still makes me wish I had the vocabulary she does at that age, hahaha.

ReflecTcelfeR

Insightful. I wonder though... How many people actually took her thoughts into consideration after this lecture? No one has the answer. I'm just being cynical.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    Insightful. I wonder though... How many people actually took her thoughts into consideration after this lecture? No one has the answer. I'm just being cynical.
    I agree, her points were well articulated, from a child's stand point.

On the larger scale, they were based on idealism. In which a child has the ability to contribute, and she uses herself as the example.

Which doesn't account for the greater population. Also, there are many kids who's parents pushed them too hard. They end up with animosity.

There is a balance between parental interaction, expectation, and result. That doesn't mean every kid will be giving lectures at the age of 12 even under the most ideal circumstances.

This seems like a soliloquy of her parents good intentions and wisdom, her own ability, more than a universal message.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think she's probably a genius or borderline genius NF type with parents who gave her very high academic standards.

She doesn't make me feel dumb, but her linguistic intelligence is extraordinary.

ReflecTcelfeR

Yeah, that is the conundrum. She talked about reality in the speech, but failed to mention that her plan could and would most likely fail because of that reality. Of course, I'm only further proving her point that as I am older and slightly more aware of reality, I am bounded by it more. It's always about balance, always will be, but reality says that the utopia is unfirmly planted on clouds.

Her message is that children aren't as stupid as most parents believe them to be. As well, children have a joie de vivre and bullet-proof attitude that we've all lost. And I happen to agree with those messages. A lot.

But like everything else, our strengths are our weaknesses. Intelligence with no boundaries can also be led astray as easily as it can lead to wonderful and creative things. No fear can lead to getting into silly and dangerous situations.

So, she glosses over the negativity but does address it in her reference to interactiveness between children and adults. Cool ideas.

MBTI type: ENTJ

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I was thinking ENFJ.