MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I especially agree with this review you posted, highlander:

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Matt Ford of the BBC gave the film three stars out of five, writing: "From the moody, rain-soaked, noir-ish streets of late 20th century America to the wild open spaces of medieval Scotland, Mulcahy plunders movie history to set off his visceral fight scenes with suitably rugged locations. [...] What the film loses through ham acting, weak narrative, and pompous macho posturing it more than compensates with in sheer fiery bravado, pace, and larger than life action."[14]
    And I gotta say, while Lucas' cut scenes usually RUIN the pacing and dramatic tension of his Star Wars pics, Mulcahy actually uses the sideways-slip cut-scene with great effectiveness. It actually increases tension and interest, rather than breaking it. The majority of them were amazing, including when he drops down into the Scottish castle/loch, and the bagpipes are blaring. Wow.

I've got Netflix, maybe I'll check the old series out sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    He played Englishmen in countless productions, a Norman king of England who didn't really speak a WORD of English in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, an Irishman in The Untouchables, a frickin' LITHUANIAN in The Hunt for Red October, all with the same accent: does it really bother you that he plays an Egyptian posing as a Spaniard in Highlander?
    Yeah, please. It didn't bother me in the least, because the premise of the movie allows for ambiguity there: The guy has lived in various cultures for centuries (including the Far East) -- how the hell could we demand which accent he's going to actually choose to speak with? My daughter spent her first four years in China and has an American accent.

... but in this movie, it doesn't really matter. That's why I say there's a "hodgepodge" of things that are accepted, because the movie's strengths lie elsewhere.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Shitcase Movie Review (humorous review by an ENTP)

EDIT: "And if you don't like it, you're a stupid haggis."

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSFRtx2ozEU"]Shitcase[/YOUTUBE]

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    He played Englishmen in countless productions, a Norman king of England who didn't really speak a WORD of English in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, an Irishman in The Untouchables, a frickin' LITHUANIAN in The Hunt for Red October, all with the same accent: does it really bother you that he plays an Egyptian posing as a Spaniard in Highlander?

It's like thinking about why every character Arnold Schwarzenegger has played has a thick Austrian accent. You don't think about it, you just accept it.
    But see, my point is that I couldn't get beyond it in this instance.

I mean, I've seen all those other movies, and this hasn't been an issue.

But my little 10-yr old brain just kept thinking (granted, I started watching part way through the movie, I believe), "ok, so the movie's about a Scottish dude, and Sean Connery is his mentor, but, , why is Sean Connery dressed like a flaming Spanish dude?!? Seriously, what's the deal here? We're talking about Sean Connery: Mr. Scotsman. In a movie about a Scotsman. Am I missing something?"

It's the fact that it's a movie -- one of relatively few mainstream ones -- about a Scotsman, and the quintessential Scotsman is in it, but not as a Scotsman!??!

It was utterly confusing, and still looks retarded when I look back on it nearly 20 years later.

Aside from that: at least in most of those other movies, he's playing a character from Britain -- but an Egyptian, Spaniard with a Scottish accent?!

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think highlander is trash.

...Oh wait, we're talking about the movie, and not the person?
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Was the mythology better developed in the show, or in the first movie?
    I'm not actually sure what you mean. By a well developed "mythology" are you talking about something like Tolkien's Lord of the Rings or Branden Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy? If that's what you mean, I'd say neither is better than the other.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INtP

Like most, I enjoyed the first movie and most (definitely not all -- most of season 5 and all of season 6 were awful) of the TV series. I think that the movie sequels are among the worst things I've ever seen... so terrible that it's difficult to even describe. Not that long ago I decided to rent the last movie for some nostalgia (most of the characters I liked, particularly Methos, were in it), and dear God, was it bad. So bad that it made the second and third (never saw the 4th) movies look *good*. And I didn't think anything could make those look good.

I rewatched most of the TV series a year or two ago, and frankly, it wasn't as good as I'd thought it was when it aired. But there were definitely some good episodes, and many enjoyable moments.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I'm not actually sure what you mean. By a well developed "mythology" are you talking about something like Tolkien's Lord of the Rings or Branden Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy? If that's what you mean, I'd say neither is better than the other.
    I'm not familiar with the Mistborn Trilogy...

I just mean the backstory, the mythological foundation on which the whole series is built.

Why the hell do these immortals exist? What the hell are they here for? How do they get chosen? How long has this been going on for? Why? etc.?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Mistborn Trilogy...

I just mean the backstory, the mythological foundation on which the whole series is built.

Why the hell do these immortals exist? What the hell are they here for? How do they get chosen? How long has this been going on for? Why? etc.?
    Well, if you like that sort of thing, then you'd probably like the Mistborn Trilogy. It embodies what you are talking about. Sanderson's a fairly new author.

Highlander is lighter fare - not so much depth there. It's just some fun ideas, action, romance and that sort of stuff.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    somehow I clicked here thinking we were talking about the member of the forum
    You're not the only one!
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Whoever made that poll left an option out.

The last option should be:

highlander is bad even in moderation.
    You're funny, I like you.

I also enjoyed the depiction of blue balls.

`
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles