• None of the above (please explain)

1 7.14%
First 34567 Last

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

"Greetingsh! I am Juan Shanschezh Carlosh Villalobosh Ramireszhh! And I have an exshhhttremely thick Shcottish acshent!"

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMRgv11fIjA"][/YOUTUBE]
    I remember as a kid just being like

Alright that's it, you're all fucked in the head.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Alright you Highlander haters, will you at least acquiesce and agree the score was good?
    I give top fucking marks to the hilariously awesome Queen video...

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    When I watch that video, I can't help but wonder whether 'Highlander' was an appeal to 80s era, young, American males' sense of entitlement...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I actually never saw the TV show.

The latter movies pretty much unequivocably suck.

The first movie has its flaws and at times seems a little incomprehensible, a bunch of cool but conflicting ideas cobbled together, but has an evocative undercurrent driving it -- as a standalone, it's got its own special flair, accompanied by a Queen soundtrack, and it's got Christopher Lambert in a role he played well, + a few other cool actors include Sean Connery, a young Clancy Brown, and James Cosmo (who later played Campbell in Braveheart).

I wish I had seen it in the theater: It must have been exhilarating to be sitting there in pitch-black darkness, see the opening text, and then hear Queen break the silence in the bold vocal harmony of "Princes of the Universe" and then kicking straight into that rock track. Even watching it on TV, it usually takes my breath away. Wow.

... arg, now I'm sitting here sulking over the death of Freddie Mercury, again.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I actually never saw the TV show.
    I thought the show was pretty cool.

I just checked, and the whole thing (6 seasons) is available for streaming on Netflix.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I give top fucking marks to the hilariously awesome Queen video...

When I watch that video, I can't help but wonder whether 'Highlander' was an appeal to 80s era, young, American males' sense of entitlement...

From Wikipedia:

"Danél Griffin of Film as Art awarded the film four stars (out of four), saying: "The key to Highlander's success is in its approach to its subject matter. What could have been a premise that breathes cliché is given a fresh approach due to Mulcahy’s unique directing style and a cleverly-written script. [...] Highlander is certainly a classic film that will continue to be cherished and watched as the world of movie making continues to grow and change. It is a triumphant example of the art of cinema, and watching it reminds us all of why we like going to the movies in the first place."[11] Christopher Null of FilmCritic.com gave the film four and a half stars out of five, writing: "Highlander has no equal among sword-and-sorcery flicks."[12] Null later called Highlander "the greatest action film ever made," saying that it features "awesome swordfights, an awesome score, and a time-bending plotline that only a philistine could dislike."[13]

Matt Ford of the BBC gave the film three stars out of five, writing: "From the moody, rain-soaked, noir-ish streets of late 20th century America to the wild open spaces of medieval Scotland, Mulcahy plunders movie history to set off his visceral fight scenes with suitably rugged locations. [...] What the film loses through ham acting, weak narrative, and pompous macho posturing it more than compensates with in sheer fiery bravado, pace, and larger than life action."[14] Dean Winkelspecht of DVD Town also gave Highlander three stars out of five, writing: "The film's slow pace and dated look will turn away many a new viewer [...] However, there is a certain appeal to the film that brings back many for a second or third helping. I have learned to appreciate the film over the years, [and] the film's story is unique and entertaining."[15]

Also giving the film three stars out of five, Adam Tyner of DVD Talk wrote, "The screenplay spots a number of intelligent, creative ideas, and I find the very concept of displacing the sword-and-sorcery genre to then-modern-day New York City to be fairly inventive. The dialogue and performances don't quite match many of the film's concepts, though. The tone seems somewhat uneven, as if Highlander is unsure if it wants to be seen as a straight adventure epic or if it's a campy action flick."[9] IGN, awarding Highlander a score of 8 out of 10, wrote: "This 80s classic has a lot going for it. The hardcore MTV manner in which it was filmed is common these days, but was groundbreaking then. This movie features some of the best scene transitions committed to celluloid. [...] To this is added some fun performances by Connery and especially Clancy Brown."[8]

Leonard Maltin gave the film one and a half stars: "Interesting premise made silly and boring... Former rock video director Mulcahy's relentlessly showy camera moves may cause you to reach for the Dramamine."[16]."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highlander_(film)

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Interestingly enough, the only one of them I've heard of before is Leonard Maltin...

I'm gunna give it another shot, though.

It's in my Netflix queue.

I think I might even watch the whole tv show, too (never was quite a regular viewer of it, so I never really saw the whole thing).

Highlander, which did you like more: the first movie, or the TV show? And why?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I liked the movie the most.

The TV show was good because it was on every week . As Uumlau said, the earlier seasons were better. It's not like 24 or something, but I liked it.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Was the mythology better developed in the show, or in the first movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Something that never made sense to me: why the fuck was Sean Connery, like, a Spanish dude, or something?

In a movie about a Scotsman...?
    He played Englishmen in countless productions, a Norman king of England who didn't really speak a WORD of English in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, an Irishman in The Untouchables, a frickin' LITHUANIAN in The Hunt for Red October, all with the same accent: does it really bother you that he plays an Egyptian posing as a Spaniard in Highlander?

It's like thinking about why every character Arnold Schwarzenegger has played has a thick Austrian accent. You don't think about it, you just accept it.