User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Gawd, I finally made my way through this thread. It was in the Fluff Zone for a few minutes this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    ...but I doubt you'd run into someone who wanted to take your life in a bar. How many bars have you heard of being robbed, razed to the ground, or shot up? Where do you live, the ghetto?
    Are you serious? Have you never been to a frat party? I guess rapes don't count. I've gone into clubs with $30 covers and have had to go through a metal detector and get patted down. And these were not in ghettos (since that's the only place where violence seems to occur).
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    There is definitely an issue with taking a weapon into an establishment that's focus is to aid people in becoming intoxicated. You kidding me?
    There is an obvious distinction, though, when the one carrying it isn't drinking.

And concerning the relative strength of different weapons and the glass shard analogy. I think it's ridiculous to assume that a knife really makes that much difference in a pool hall. If I was getting accosted by some 250lb. asshole, you can bet I'd use anything I could against him, including, but not limited to, pool cues, beer bottles, stools, etc.

I would also like to point out (as BMS did) that he really isn't abrasive in person, his writing style just is. It wasn't a big deal and the knife wasn't visible at all (as he pointed out, but most people ignored). Maybe 1/8-1/4 of an inch peaked out at the bottom.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Gawd, I finally made my way through this thread. It was in the Fluff Zone for a few minutes this morning.

Are you serious? Have you never been to a frat party? I guess rapes don't count. I've gone into clubs with $30 covers and have had to go through a metal detector and get patted down. And these were not in ghettos (since that's the only place where violence seems to occur).
    Fucking seriously! I've got friends in low and high tax brackets and the ONLY times I ever had to fight guys off of me were when I was in upscale neighborhoods.

ByMySword

Cool

There is definitely an issue with taking a weapon into an establishment that's focus is to aid people in becoming intoxicated. You kidding me?

P.S. BMS - What is your avatar from?
    My avatar is from the Gunslinger Born comic book. The best book series ever!
    I'm am just now going to turn 21 as of this year, so being intoxicated wasn't an issue for me. And I understand the whole issue about bringing a weapon into an private establishment. But a knife is all I can carry until I am 21. Being one of the youngest ones in there, how am I to know someone doesn't have a concealed handgun. I don't. So, I feel at a loss if I don't have something to protect myself. Thats all. Like I said, I was just going to play pool. By the time the bouncer approached me, I had completely forgotten the knife was on my belt. It was just an accessory, to be used if (God forbid) needed. And there are multiple uses for a knive. They are a tool nothing more. I understand that it was probably bar policy, and if there had been signs prohibiting weapons of the bladed kind, I would have complied no problem. What made me...frusterated or insulted...with the bouncers was the way they spoke to me. Not really the first bouncer. He was just stupid. The second one who approached me in the parking lot was who I was really annoyed with.

ByMySword

Thumbs up

That's all great. Unfortunate for you, the bouncers aren't aware of your life story.
    Well they need to be! LOL. Just kidding. I understand your point.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    There is an obvious distinction, though, when the one carrying it isn't drinking.
    If said person gets forgetful, or just changes their mind when actually inside the bar, remembering that they have a weapon and removing it seems like a bit more of an issue to carry out than dealing with it when they first enter.

MBTI
    Zzzz

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    You're right, I don't know athenian as well as y'all (there's some dialect for you), so I apologize for any offense. I hope to get to know her better if she'll allow me. I'm not here to make enemies. What was the offer for Morphy? I guessed I missed it. lol
    Actually, I signed up about 4 or so days ago.. So I'm as new as you are LOL The offer to Morphy was on the youtube videos if he wanted to peer through, to laugh or scorn or agree with as much as he pleases.

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    Couldn't have said it any better myself! Forgive me for this view of the world, but let me explain how I see it. ........Now I am not saying exactly that I want today's mentality to be a mirror of that, but the Western (genre)/ gangster mentality of how to treat you're fellow man is attractive to me and my crew. Being a warrior and having a warrior mentality is not exactly about being a dumb brute. There is honor and humility in it as well. I cite the samurai code of bushido for example......Maybe this can reveal a little of how we view the world.
    Yeah, I used to be enslaved to the History and Discovery channels as a kid as well as to shows like Xena/Hercules/X-men/anime etc and still am~ I loved the idea of honour and was affronted as a kid if people didn't comply. Like bullies. I would always defend those I thought being bullied, even against my friends who were the 'popular' group as kids picking on the less popular. To me, it's not about being 'violent' or wanting to be aggressive with acting out but responding in a more honourable way of defending. If necessary, harming that person when there's no way of subduing them. I've done it and I have no regrets, only regrets that events escalated when dipolmacy became useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis
    And concerning the relative strength of different weapons and the glass shard analogy. I think it's ridiculous to assume that a knife really makes that much difference in a pool hall. If I was getting accosted by some 250lb. asshole, you can bet I'd use anything I could against him, including, but not limited to, pool cues, beer bottles, stools, etc.
    It's not ridiculous that one weapon has more power/strength over another, even a body can be made into a stronger weapon, but it's as I said about a combination of factors:
    I say it's mostly about intention but some weapons, or forms of assualt, are more greivous than others. So, maybe all in all, it's a combination of factors which will render the worst (or best) result. Inherent intention, awareness of direction, ultimate application and the level of threat from the weapon at hand? err

Edit: And the IQ and EQ of the invidiual could be added...most likely should be..."
    If weaponless, I'd probably have already thought of all potential ways of protecting and attacking aside from using my body. I'd pick up a pencil and weild it if I had to. Does that mean we're violent people? No, I'd like to think both my high IQ and EQ helps me when confronted with anything, seemingly harmful or pleasant.

I would also like to point out (as BMS did) that he really isn't abrasive in person, his writing style just is. It wasn't a big deal and the knife wasn't visible at all (as he pointed out, but most people ignored). Maybe 1/8-1/4 of an inch peaked out at the bottom.
    I think, though, there were judgement calls as no one knows BMS in real life and were projecting their own feelings based on the abrasiveness of his writing. So, perhaps, in future, he might want to ease up on it---or not as it's his right to write () however he pleases. He could've started his introduction to his blog with a less frustrative experience and then later do it so as to let others know he's not a psycho as you surely know so. He can let'em rip out with his angst once he's seen as a little more friendly. (If you're like my INTJ sis or ISTP bfriend you're probably rolling your eyes, thinking he can be as abrasive as he fucking pleases, so yup, it's his choice and he clearly made it~)

I'm beginning to see how he can be an INFJ and that I'm already relating to him with some ideas. Especially on honour and protecting others. I figured his writing style was more abrasive and he was probably more mellow/apparently nicer in RL. Otherwise, he wouldn't have apologised to athenian200. Even his humour mirrors my own.

MBTI
    INFP

Though I don't fear knives, I'm glad I live in a society where "nobody" carries weapons. Even the police is rarely seen with guns (though they do have access to them in a compartment in their cars, I suppose, but tend not to use them because of the paperwork that follows just opening the compartment.)

Last weekend a guy flipped out in his room on the hotel I work as night receptionist at. I got the police, two gentle police ladies arrived, entered the room, no guns, sat down talking with him calmly for 15 min or so, and though he was high on a pills and booze and angry as hell (and kept threatening me), they got him to accept walking unaided to the police car.

Had weapons been more available here, he'd have been a great threat to both himself, me and the police, but instead he was just a lot of hot air.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post

Who is going to take the time to figure out who is drinking and who isn't? On top of that, why would they bother enforcing weapons issues on only people drinking and not those that don't appear to be? Is it not just easier to say "leave your weapons (potentially dangerous objects) at home?" I realize a knife has many purposes, most of them don't involve harming someone but a bar is not somewhere that you're going to need it... It's lenient enough that they don't search you (so, you could get away with carrying a pocket knife or something...), but if you've got a sheathed knife that is noticeable to the bouncer it only makes sense that they'd ask you to remove it. That's how I feel about it anyways.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Carebear View Post
    Even the police is rarely seen with guns (though they do have access to them in a compartment in their cars, I suppose, but tend not to use them because of the paperwork that follows just opening the compartment.)
    That is scary to me and really quite a shame (unless Norway just has no violent crimes/criminals, but I doubt that's true).