User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 115

  1. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    There is definitely an issue with taking a weapon into an establishment that's focus is to aid people in becoming intoxicated. You kidding me?
    This is what is known as common sense. Well said.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    Zzzz
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    But the thing is, this is not something inherent to the knife itself.
    For example, what is the difference between knifing someone and glassing someone? No practical difference except the means through which the assault has been carried.
    Almost agreed except there then is the difference between the danger of the weapon. A gun is wholly on another level than a knife as a knife is to a broken shard (maybe, in ease of being held w/o self harm?). I say it's mostly about intention but some weapons, or forms of assualt, are more greivous than others. So, maybe all in all, it's a combination of factors which will render the worst (or best) result. Inherent intention, awareness of direction, ultimate application and the level of threat from the weapon at hand? err

    Edit: And the IQ and EQ of the invidiual could be added...most likely should be...

  3. #63
    Enigma Nadir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    4
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    So, maybe all in all, it's a combination of factors which will render the worst (or best) result. Inherent intention, awareness of direction, ultimate application and the level of threat from the weapon at hand? err
    Yes, what you say is true. I was mostly keeping the knife in mind. And it does become something rather different when a gun enters the scenario.
    And the culmination of all the factors you're citing results in the laws and the concept of "common sense" as displayed by TheBeatGoesOn and praised by ygolo.
    Not really.

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    Zzzz
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    Yes, what you say is true. I was mostly keeping the knife in mind. And it does become something rather different when a gun enters the scenario.
    And the culmination of all the factors you're citing results in the laws and the concept of "common sense" as displayed by TheBeatGoesOn and praised by ygolo.
    Yup yup, however I wouldn't call it common sense b/c what is perceived as 'common sense' by general society at the time is largely dictated where trends go or moving into a difference awareness than the past peoples had. It was once common sense not so long ago on concepts that 'spare the rod, spoild the child' will result in disobediant children. Now, it's an affront to most Western people and considered child abuse. I'm not saying, however, TheBeatGoesOn is wrong, however. It's just that today it may be against the law to carry a knife in an establishment where the rules state opposite and then ten years from now, whether due to attitude changes or societial crumbling, it may then become the expected rule to do such a thing and considered common sense. lol

    Edit: oops, I realise now you did say concept of common sense

  5. #65
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nadir View Post
    But the thing is, this is not something inherent to the knife itself.
    For example, what is the difference between knifing someone and glassing someone? No practical difference except the means through which the assault has been carried.
    You're thinking too deeply. I didn't say that one couldn't acquire a make-use weapon inside of a bar.... The thing is, what business does a large knife that requires a sheath have in a bar or a like place that serves liquor? None that I can think of. If I noticed someone inside of a bar with a large knife it would make me feel uneasy due to the locality. Whether someone carrying a knife has ill intention or not, were things to become heated and tempers to flair (which becomes more probable when intoxication is an issue), I would think one could be inclined to go for their knife for no other reason then that it's there and handy.

    "Keep weapons out" is the best policy for bars.

  6. #66
    Enigma Nadir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    4
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    You're thinking too deeply. I didn't say that one couldn't acquire a make-use weapon inside of a bar.... The thing is, what business does a large knife that requires a sheath have in a bar or a like place that serves liquor? None that I can think of. If I noticed someone inside of a bar with a large knife it would make me feel uneasy due to the locality. Whether someone carrying a knife has ill intention or not, were things to become heated and tempers to flair (which becomes more probable when intoxication is an issue), I would think one could be inclined to go for their knife for no other reason then that it's there and handy.

    "Keep weapons out" is the best policy for bars.
    Yep, good points. Objectively it probably is the best policy for bars as the term "weapon" also contains the more dangerous firearms in addition to the relatively low-caliber knife, as stated before.
    Not really.

  7. #67
    ByMySword
    Guest

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    you dont seem like the type of person id trust to carry around a knife. in my opinion, weapons should only be in the hands of rational, emotionally controlled people who actually know how to use them safely.

    maybe that's why the bouncers were a bit ticked off when they found out?
    I think the point of why I was mad at the bouncers is because I know (and my friends know) that I am a rational, emotionally controlled person. I put a lot of drama into my story for effect. But, I am one of the safest people I know of with weaponry. Who doesn't know how to use a knife safely. Besides, I wasn't even using it. It was just hanging on my belt. I wasn't going to start a fight just to give myself an excuse to use it. That is foolish and immature. I would be the first one to berate someone for so foolish an act. I have been raised in the church, and raised by my parents, who are decent God-fearing people. I was raised right, and I was raised how to hunt and shoot safely and effectively. Of course, guns don't even enter into this story.

  8. #68
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    I think the point of why I was mad at the bouncers is because I know (and my friends know) that I am a rational, emotionally controlled person. I put a lot of drama into my story for effect. But, I am one of the safest people I know of with weaponry. Who doesn't know how to use a knife safely. Besides, I wasn't even using it. It was just hanging on my belt. I wasn't going to start a fight just to give myself an excuse to use it. That is foolish and immature. I would be the first one to berate someone for so foolish an act. I have been raised in the church, and raised by my parents, who are decent God-fearing people. I was raised right, and I was raised how to hunt and shoot safely and effectively. Of course, guns don't even enter into this story.
    That's all great. Unfortunate for you, the bouncers aren't aware of your life story.

  9. #69
    ByMySword
    Guest

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post
    Yes yes, sorry, I know. It's so hard stopping myself from doing that Fe thing, sometimes lol. Okay, most times... However, I think you guys should leave it be as it's just creating bad feelings (maybe or maybe not for you). You don't know athenian200's personal history so it's hard for you to throw what you know onto her system. Just as it's hard for her to know yours. I guess, agree to disagree and shake hands!

    However, offer still stands, Morphy ~
    You're right, I don't know athenian as well as y'all (there's some dialect for you), so I apologize for any offense. I hope to get to know her better if she'll allow me. I'm not here to make enemies. What was the offer for Morphy? I guessed I missed it. lol

  10. #70
    ByMySword
    Guest

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by DeliriousDisposition View Post

    But in so fading, you only change your reality. If you want to push for change around you, you gotta pick up the torch and fight for what you want (however nicely you may want to do it Let others do the dirty work, if you want~). It's when you do that you can help change the reality around you.
    Couldn't have said it any better myself! Forgive me for this view of the world, but let me explain how I see it. Metamorphosis and I have had numerous conversations on this. I am a History major, so I watch the History Channel a lot. I was watching a documentary on the gangsters of the 1920s and 30s. A historian explained that the reason he liked this era was because of the politeness of everyone. Even if they are being assholes, they do it with such etiquette, that it shows respect. Watch Deadwood for an example of this dialogue. Now, he says the reason for this, is that one never knew if someone had a weapon on them. So they were always polite, even to their peers (yes, sir; no, sir). Now I am not saying exactly that I want today's mentality to be a mirror of that, but the Western (genre)/ gangster mentality of how to treat you're fellow man is attractive to me and my crew. Being a warrior and having a warrior mentality is not exactly about being a dumb brute. There is honor and humility in it as well. I cite the samurai code of bushido for example. To my crew and I, this gives our lives a meaning. This means more to us than simply holding down a 9 to 5 job, having a family, and dying. Although I do want a family someday and both Metamorphosis and I are both in college in order to have a rewarding career, we want more. Maybe this can reveal a little of how we view the world.

Similar Threads

  1. in beheadings is it ethical to sterilize the blade in between?
    By prplchknz in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 07:17 PM
  2. Changes in the brain from adolescence to 20s
    By Robopop in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-12-2010, 01:45 AM
  3. [NT] Sir YES Sir! The NT's guide to falling in line:
    By ThatGirl in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 02:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO