User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

It's really comforting to know I'm sharing a society with you people. (and no, I wouldn't dare say something like that to someone with a knife if there weren't a wall of cyberspace anonymity between us.)

But I'm probably not going to stay indoors. I'd prefer to bank on my diplomacy, and I think being unarmed gives people a better impression of my intentions. If I can't run away or talk my way out of a situation, I'd rather just go ahead and die than live with someone else's blood on my hands.

I'm depressed that our society has degenerated to the point that people have to arm themselves to avoid dying in the typical public place.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    It's really comforting to know I'm sharing a society with you people. (and no, I wouldn't dare say something like that to someone with a knife if there weren't a wall of cyberspace anonymity between us.)
    There is a big difference between someone carrying a concealed weapon for their protection and someone brandishing a sword in the middle of a church.

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200
    If I can't run away or talk my way out of a situation, I'd rather just go ahead and die than live with someone else's blood on my hands.
    Pacifist: Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf. - George Orwell

He only earns his freedom and his life who takes them every day by storm. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen, a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath, a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? What do you have then? A sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero's path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed - Vietnam Veteran

and yes, I am a quote whore
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

ByMySword

Its fine to try to talk you're way out of a situation if you can. And running away (I would define it as retreating) in order to fight another day is good too. I would never harm you or wish harm on you for your pithy comments, but you can't talk down everyone. NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO TAKE AWAY YOURS! THAT INCLUDES THE RIGHT TO LIFE! GROW SOME BALLS AND PLEASE LIVE IT!
    Last edited by ByMySword; 02-12-2008 at 05:35 PM.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    Its fine to try to talk you're way out of a situation if you can. And running away (I would define it as retreating) in order to fight another day is good too. I would never harm you or wish harm on you for your pity comments, but you can't talk down everyone. NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO TAKE AWAY YOURS! THAT INCLUDES THE RIGHT TO LIFE! GROW SOME BALLS AND PLEASE LIVE IT!
    I do so detest dictating to other people what it means to live.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I'm depressed that our society has degenerated to the point that people have to arm themselves to avoid dying in the typical public place.
    I assume you are in America. This has always been the case. It isn't degenerated.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office

ByMySword

I am not telling her how to live her life, but I do feel that if people are holding her back from living it, that isn't right. If she wants to be a hermit in her own house, that's her business. But if she is purposely not going outside out of fear, that isn't right either. I don't presume to tell people how to live, but if I can try to explain the way I see the world, perhaps I can inspire people to face their fears. People should not be afraid of their environment.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Honestly, I'm not staying indoors because I'm afraid of being killed. I'm doing it because I'm afraid of accidentally hurting someone's feelings. I've been working up the nerve to be around people more lately, actually, and I feel that being able to trust people enough not to have to worry that they'll try to kill me unprovoked is an important part of relating to them. If I can't live in a world where that's possible, I don't know if I want to live at all.

If you want to carry a knife, carry it I guess, although I don't see what you really gain. But I don't have to carry one.

People should not be afraid of their environment.
    If you were not afraid of your environment, you wouldn't have to carry a knife on your person. Hahaha.

I know what you meant to say.

Defending yourself, I have no problem with, but I doubt you'd run into someone who wanted to take your life in a bar. How many bars have you heard of being robbed, razed to the ground, or shot up? Where do you live, the ghetto?
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post
    Where do you live, the ghetto?
    It was pretty damn close. Most of the places we hang out at pretty much are the ghetto.

ByMySword

There is a difference in being afraid of my environment and being prepared for it. I don't fear going anywhere, because I feel I am justified being anywhere I want to be (within reason). And yeah, if you looked on my avatar, I live in Houston.