User Tag List

123 Last

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Default I need help navigating through Baby Crappola!

I am having a baby shower next month and I need to start registering and I am over-whelmed and scared to death when it comes to the plethura of baby crap out there. I want to be informed and research and I want to be as efficient as possible.

There is so much baby crappola out there- and I know nothing about babies and am new to this baby world-I don't know a crappy bottle from a good bottle,lol- I have no way to navigate through the bad from the good.

I am wanting to know what things really works- what things are really important-
    what unspoken treasures and secrets there are to the crap out there.

I am wondering if there are any parents here who have found really helpful baby things, if they have come across real overrated and pointless crap-
    what are the must haves and what are the real quality and helpful items?

Any suggestions and advice would be very helpful to me,lol.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

With all due respect, I think you should scrap the baby shower and give the baby a gentle bath in the kitchen sink instead.

That's all I got, I'm afraid.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

*blinks* I think she meant baby shower as in a party for the newborn... What might make good gifts... Well I might be young, but I've seen a couple. Here's a list of useful things.

baby blankets (2+)
    Wash clothes! (LOTS, very very useful)
    clothes (keep minimal... newborn grow out of them very quickly. Although some of them do look darn cute!)
    little plastic tub for baths
    baby monitoring device
    pacifier... silicon please! (3 ish?) And a clip to go along with the pacifier.
    baby bottles (look at the nipples, you want something durable like silicon. You need to boil the bottles to sterilize them, inferior quality ones will start cracking on you.)
    tongs to fish out bottles from the pot is nice I suppose...
    Scrub brush for bottles
    bibs
    cotton mittens (prevents accidentally scratching themselves)
    baby nail clipper (you need special ones)
    one of those bouncy chair thing, jolly jumper? I think that's what it's called... (I've been told most of them love that thing)
    noisemaking toys
    nice big diaper bag
    diapers (well the nurses at the hospital will teach you how to pick them I think)
    Stroller/Car seat/carrier (get the all-in-one one if possible)
    Something for mommy! Aloe lotion/cream works well to prevent stretch marks?

There's probably a ton more you can get, but those are probably the main things. Good luck on that ladypink! Oh and congratulations! ^^

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    *blinks* I think she meant baby shower as in a party for the newborn... What might make good gifts...
    he's just playing
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

And make sure the sink doesn't have a garbage disposal. If I were a child being bathed in the sink but could think the way I think now, I'd find the thought extremely disturbing.

On another note, what exactly makes each baby bottle different? I thought they all did the same thing. I'm starting to think the kind of baby bottle you get is a fad much like the way shopping at Hollister makes you a preppy or jock while shopping at Hot Topic makes you an emo or goth.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Different bottles have different nipple shapes, and some babies prefer certain shapes. My son would only take a Nuk nipple. (My daughter wouldn't take any bottle nipple, which meant I got no breaks.)

My favorite things were baby carriers. I especially liked the Maya Wrap and the Didymos. The Maya Wrap goes over one shoulder and tightens by pulling the slack through two metal rings. I liked it better than other sling-type carriers because it's unpadded and easy to get a custom-fit. Baby Slings, Baby Carriers from Maya Wrap, Baby Sling Carrier

The second time around I used a Didymos more. It's basically a very long piece of fabric with a special weave, so that when you tie it there's some give but it won't sag over time. The Didymos was nice because you could tie it so many different ways, and I could use both shoulders for support unlike the sling-type carriers. The original baby sling since 1972 Check out "Tying Methods" on the left hand side.

It's expensive because they come from Germany but you could easily make your own, or I think there are similar products that are less expensive (http://www.mobywrap.com/c-15-moby-wrap.aspx).

Other than that- this swing was a necessity for us when Thing 2 was a baby. Thing 1 slept easily in bed with us and transitioned to her own room as a toddler, so she never slept in a crib at all. Thing 2 would not sleep with us OR in the crib at first- he slept in that swing for the first 3 or 4 months of his life. (Usually I slept right beside him on the couch. It got us through the night.) Then we used this book to transition him into a crib. He's about to turn 3 and we just moved him from the crib to a twin bed.

EDIT: Another thing that was useful for Thing 2 was a white noise machine. I've used a fan when we've been away from home and it works fine, but we received a white-noise machine as a gift when he was a baby and it helped him sleep. And he still likes it. "Sound a-sheen" he calls it.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

If you can get help with your big ticket items, carseat, stroller, highchair, crib,

an exersaucer yes yes you want one of those for sure! I was reading Ivy's post above and remembered the bouncy seat I had that my son lived in

As for the little things they always add up, onesies (newborn & 3-6mon sizes), wash clothes, receiving blankets, baby book,

you really have to think about what you want. Do you want pacifiers and bottles? Do you have a basinette? Will baby sleep in your room for the first couple of months? will you be nursing or bottle feeding. If bottle feeding you definitely want a bottle warmer keeper.
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Oh yeah, the exersaucer was great fun. You won't use it right away though of course so it's not something you have to have before the baby is born. If you have room to store it for a few more months it's worth putting on the list though!

We also had a bouncy seat which was good for when I wanted to take a shower and no one was home to watch the baby. I could pull it into the bathroom and peek at him every so often. This was more for my comfort than his, since he would have been fine in the crib- he would have cried, though, and I could shower more peacefully if I knew he was content. I'm of the opinion that as much crying as you can avoid, you should. It doesn't exercise their lungs OR your ears.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    And make sure the sink doesn't have a garbage disposal. If I were a child being bathed in the sink but could think the way I think now, I'd find the thought extremely disturbing.

On another note, what exactly makes each baby bottle different? I thought they all did the same thing. I'm starting to think the kind of baby bottle you get is a fad much like the way shopping at Hollister makes you a preppy or jock while shopping at Hot Topic makes you an emo or goth.
    Uber, you should never have children. Seriously.

Ivy we used that swing for ReeRee and I couldn't have lived without it!! Also had a Maya Wrap but only used it once. Our kids always seems too big for carriers even as infants.

I loved using the Halo Sleep Sack and found this wonderful for bath time. I never liked doorway jumpers or walkers, mostly for safety reasons and I somewhat agree with many of the pediatricians who believe they delay your baby's development. There will be times when you'll need a break (as Ivy mentioned) and having a safe place to put your baby is essential. We used our above mentioned swing (get that one and you won't be sorry!) and we used this which is great as long as your baby is not old enough or heavy enough to topple it over. This would probably be safer and just as entertaining.

For bottles I preferred Playtex Vent Aire with all three of our children.

And these books helped me survive each stage! I loved reading them so much, I give them as gifts to all my pregnant gf's.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Ivy we used that swing for ReeRee and I couldn't have lived without it!! Also had a Maya Wrap but only used it once. Our kids always seems too big for carriers even as infants.
    It's a preference thing- I still use mine sometimes when I know I'll be carrying Thing 2. To me, it was better than having to keep up with a stroller, or even if I brought the stroller it was nice to be able to carry them part of the time without my arms falling off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I never liked doorway jumpers or walkers. I agree with many of the pediatricians who think they delay your baby's development.
    I think overusing it certainly can- but sometimes it's all about what gets Mom some arms-free time.