First 123 Last

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It's a preference thing- I still use mine sometimes when I know I'll be carrying Thing 2. To me, it was better than having to keep up with a stroller, or even if I brought the stroller it was nice to be able to carry them part of the time without my arms falling off.

I think overusing it certainly can- but sometimes it's all about what gets Mom some arms-free time.
    True. I updated my post but you're just too fast for me.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    True. I updated my post but you're just too fast for me.
    Yep I'm a nerd!

But you're absolutely right- there are other contraptions out there that are just as fun for baby and much safer than doorway jumpers and walkers. We never used those either.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Thank you everyone for responding to this. I really really appreciate it and am taking notes, well except for uberfurhers,lol.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

My son absolutely lives in his bouncy seat. It is a lifesaver. I can get all kinds of stuff done while he is playing in it. I just sit it on the kitchen counter while i'm cleaning or cooking dinner, and he loves just watching me.

The best bottles i have come across are the First Years Breast Flow bottles. They are different because they actually mimic breast feeding, and they don't have suction problems like other bottles do.

Receiving blankets are pretty important for the first few weeks of life when they want to be swaddled and you have to keep them warm. I would suggest having 2 or 3 good ones.

Wash cloths, baby towels, burp cloths are pretty useful.

Diapers are pretty important. I got about 10 packages of newborn size 1 diapers at my baby shower, and that was really the most useful thing i got. Diapers are expensive and it was nice not to have to buy them for almost 3 whole months. We used the pampers swaddlers. They are nice and soft for the baby.

Desitin is a very helpful product. I have this fear that my son is going to get diaper rash, so i put it on him on every other diaper change, and he has stayed rash free so far.

You will definitely need baby wipes. I would suggest the kind with no alcohol.

Someone said to keep newborn clothes minimal,and i totally agree. My son grew out of all of his newborn clothes before he got to wear half of them.

And speaking of clothes you will need a special detergent to wash baby's clothes in. I use dreft, it is hypoallergenic and smells great, of course anything that is hypoallergenic will work as far as i know. All of baby's clothes will need to be washed in it before he wears them. I would also suggest washing all sheets, blankets, towels..pretty much anything that will touch his sensitive skin.

that is all i have for now. i'm sure i'll think of something later.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

You don't need most of it--"crappola" is an accurate term.

Diapers
    wet wipes
    diaper bag
    carseat
    clothing
    crib or cradle
    sheets
    blankets
    baby soap
    a mobile, baby mirror, and a few other visually-oriented toys

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    I don't know a crappy bottle from a good bottle,lol- I have no way to navigate through the bad from the good.
    The two God-given ones will work really really well.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post

The two God-given ones will work really really well.

the two God given ones don't always work out the way you want them to. My baby never learned to latch on properly, so breast feeding was very painful and he wanted to feed every 30 minutes.

Switching to bottles was a great decision for me. As soon as i switched my son started sleeping through the night and my nipples stopped hurting.

Breastfeeding is of course the best way to go, but when it hurts so bad that you are dreading the next feeding, then bottle feeding is the way to go.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Good stuff. I don't think I have anything to add except to agree that the swing is a godsend. Oh, and cloth diapers make great burp rags. I would advise against buying a bassinet if you have any hope of borrowing one. They outgrow them really fast. The one thing I always wanted, but never got was a glider rocker. I found them to be so nice for nursing when I was in the nursery at church.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    the two God given ones don't always work out the way you want them to. My baby never learned to latch on properly, so breast feeding was very painful and he wanted to feed every 30 minutes.

Switching to bottles was a great decision for me. As soon as i switched my son started sleeping through the night and my nipples stopped hurting.

Breastfeeding is of course the best way to go, but when it hurts so bad that you are dreading the next feeding, then bottle feeding is the way to go.
    I'm sorry you had such a difficult nursing experience. Did you have any support? The latch is the most important thing, it's true, but it often still hurts for a couple of weeks even with a good latch. (It did for me- I certainly do understand why people prefer bottle feeding.) My advice for new moms who want to breastfeed is that it will get easier, they won't always want to eat every 30 minutes, and once you get past the learning curve it will be much more pleasant. BUT my advice for mothers who do not want to breastfeed, or want to stop after doing it for a period of time, is to close their ears to nosy individuals. Learn to nod and smile!

(And this comes from a mother who nursed for 3 years the first time, and 2 the second. I'm pretty passionate about it but it's NOT the only part of parenting that matters.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'm sorry you had such a difficult nursing experience. Did you have any support? The latch is the most important thing, it's true, but it often still hurts for a couple of weeks even with a good latch. (It did for me- I certainly do understand why people prefer bottle feeding.) My advice for new moms who want to breastfeed is that it will get easier, they won't always want to eat every 30 minutes, and once you get past the learning curve it will be much more pleasant. BUT my advice for mothers who do not want to breastfeed, or want to stop after doing it for a period of time, is to close their ears to nosy individuals. Learn to nod and smile!
    Amen to all that! (Including the pain part.)
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Uber, you should never have children. Seriously.
    What? I was just telling her to take precautions.