User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Are decade flavors disappearing?

Let me give you some examples of what I mean:

1950's: Conservative, traditional, white-wall tires, cardigan sweaters, slow music.
    1960's: Rebellion, Rock & Roll, Civil rights movement, hippies.
    1970's: Disco, Gas shortage, bell bottoms/flared-leg jeans, end of Vietnam War.
    1980's: New Wave, PC's, NES, Reaganomics, Berlin Wall falls, MTV, Denim.

And, it almost seems to stop there. I can come up with a FEW for the next decade:

1990's: Grunge, beginning of the Internet, Monica Lewinsky scandal.

Okay, maybe that's enough... but for the next decade? There's nothing. Watch...

2000's: Smartphones, World Trade Center attacks, Economic Recession

Does this really give you any sort of "flavor"? I don't see it.

So, has anyone else noticed that there has been a decided lack of decade "flavor" lately?

The flavour is globalisation. A world without boundaries.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Nah, the flavors are there, it just takes time after a decade ends before mass culture accepts a specific image for it.

iPods, skinny jeans, twitter...
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

A large part of it is that during each progressive decade we have had more and more media competing for our attention. So over the years there is less and less that is imposed on our collective consciousness.

Everybody watched leave it to beaver and that left an indelible mark on our collective view of the 1950s. There are very few shows, movies and music artists that are able to make the same mark today. Rather, because of the immense selection of media everyone has created their own flavor. So some people spent the 2000s listening to big and rich and watched are you smarter than a fifth grader others watched grey's anatomy and listened to maroon five etc.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    Nah, the flavors are there, it just takes time after a decade ends before mass culture accepts a specific image for it.
    This. Also there are specific flavours in music, fashion and other arts. There is such a thing as 2000 aesthetics in movies (think Fight Club, especially the IKEA scene about "stuff", lots of fast cuts and loads of montage, etc).

There are big issues such as war on terror, a need for economic reform after the post cold war party years that were the nineties, a higher awareness of climate change and other ecological issues, ... the further we are away from the last decade the clearer it will become what made up its flavour. That being said, naturally the division into decades is artificial and changes usually happen either gradually or after a groundbreaking event that doesn't respect calenders. For example, you could argue that the 21st century started on 9/11, just as the 19th century was the "long century" if you think of the 20th as starting with the Great War.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    A large part of it is that during each progressive decade we have had more and more media competing for our attention. So over the years there is less and less that is imposed on our collective consciousness.

Everybody watched leave it to beaver and that left an indelible mark on our collective view of the 1950s. There are very few shows, movies and music artists that are able to make the same mark today. Rather, because of the immense selection of media everyone has created their own flavor. So some people spent the 2000s listening to big and rich and watched are you smarter than a fifth grader others watched grey's anatomy and listened to maroon five etc.
    That would explain why the decade didn't have much of a flavor to me.

I spent most of the 2000's watching re-runs and remakes of old video games and movies, many of which I missed the first time around... as well as playing games on Nintendo's Virtual Console, among the other re-releases. And all the new things I tried were extensions or spin-offs of older franchises. So for me, the feeling of the 2000's was retrospective... nothing new really caught my interest, so in my mind the previous decade and century never really ended.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

One of the flavours of 2000-2010 was MP3s, cell phones, facebook, people in touch more but communicating less, the war on terror, also fires/tsunamis/earthquakes/floods.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I think the taste of 2000-2010 was people being utterly depressed or pretending to be. If the kids of the 00's weren't in their rooms being all emo and shit, they were out there on the street, just sitting around with a depressed look on their face. I guess the flavor of the 00's was depression or the taboo on happiness. I mean, check out the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. In the sixties we had hippies, in the seventies we had some hippies left, but also glamrockers, in the eighties everything was all bold and vulgar and to me the nineties were characterized by the Spice Girls and Happy Hardcore. Everybody was out there being happy or rebellious, in the 00s everybody was moody and passive.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Fear (Global Warming, Terror, Fuel Shortage) , Emo-Trendy fashion style, Superhero films, the inclusion of a visible "Gamer Culture" into the mainstream, wide spread use of all purpose portable devices used for communication