User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

English is pretty structured and simple. It has a nice flow and sound to it. It also allows for great inspirational and uplifting sentences. It's very balanced in most every aspect.

My mother language, Dutch. Has like 3 zillion (slightly exxagerated) exceptions to every grammatical rule in the book, next to that it has a very annoying flow and structure.

There is one language I've come to appreciate even more than English and that is Japanese. And I'm not even that familiar with it. In fact, I pretty much don't know the language.. But I really like the flow and structure of Japanese from what I've seen. It sounds so melodic, yet succint. It's awesome.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Jea, inglis is kreisi. Meiks nou fakin sens uatsouevö...
    jes, bat ai think its fani langvitsh bikoos its sou viird. ivin thou its viird, its olso priti iisi to leern
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    jes, bat ai think its fani langvitsh bikoos its sou viird. ivin thou its viird, its olso priti iisi to leern
    I never realized how little sense English made until I just barely started trying to learn Russian ... and it's fucking phoenetic. English is insane. The letters don't match the sounds as much as they should. How does anyone learn it?

Learning French humbled me because it gave me the feeling of not being sure how to speak or straining to understand, but this...this is a revelation of how confusing my native language actually is to people who haven't spoken it since childhood.

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    One of the most annoying English words to me is "buses." The plural of bus, as in a school bus. That spells "byoozes!"
    Funny when you say it spells "byoozes". To me "busses" comes closer than "byoozes".

@All: Other interesting thing: What comes first, the pronunciation or the way of writing?

By the way, I like the English language pretty much. I like using it, when my first language is Dutch.
    I also like Scandinavian languages.

English is illogical and intuitive. It's my second favourite after french.
    I always "felt" languages instead of learning charts and rules, it just doesn't work for me that way.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Llewellyn View Post
    Funny when you say it spells "byoozes". To me "busses" comes closer than "byoozes".
    It's mainly because I associate it with the word "abuses," I think. As in, "She abuses her privileges." Or worse, "She abuses her daughter."

But it really should rhyme with "fuses." And "accuses." And "confuses."
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    English is illogical and intuitive. It's my second favourite after french.
    I always "felt" languages instead of learning charts and rules, it just doesn't work for me that way.
    Does that mean you "felt" the correct conjugation of the present subjunctive? That's quite impressive, since I could never have intuitively grasped its highly irregular conjugation pattern (for certain verbs) prima facie.
    That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,
    Were axioms to him, who'd never heard
    Of any world where promises were kept,
    Or one could weep because another wept.

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

But it really should rhyme with "fuses." And "accuses." And "confuses."
    We could also call a singular bus a "buse". => Sorry, that sounds too much like the word you don't want it too sound like...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

This is a great thing about English... it's very dynamic. But supposedly it's one of the hardest languages to learn, because of the irregularities, esp. in spelling. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that it is a Germanic language but strongly influenced by Romance languages...
    I believe english can be almost univocally considered as an easy language, for an indo-european native speaker. Turkish, mandarin, etc. - they're the hard ones.

Its biggest difficulty (and, from my southern european perspective, lack of coherence) lies in how ortography and pronunciation have a disjointed relationship. So many similar words are pronunciated in completely different ways.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I believe english can be almost univocally considered as an easy language, for an indo-european native speaker. Turkish, mandarin, etc. - they're the hard ones.

Its biggest difficulty (and, from my southern european perspective, lack of coherence) lies in how ortography and pronunciation have a disjointed relationship. So many similar words are pronunciated in completely different ways.
    Like I said, it's not my opinion, so I'm not going to argue it. Being a native English speaker, I have no basis to compare it to learning other languages as a second language. For my money, I have studied French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Turkish and Irish, and of those I would say Irish is by far the hardest.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/