User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    English is illogical because it borrows from so many languages, the pronunciation gets jumbled.
    Not just pronunciation but also, grammatical structure. There are so many exceptions that English is more about memory work than adhering to logical structure. Crazy language.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    That might have something to do with it....
    Love the way that wiki article was silent on this but vocal on the other conquests. Really weird.

Many linguists believe it is. One of the hardest.
    One of the 500 hardest perhaps.

NPcomplete

Image and imagine. I have heard several French profs say "E-may-gine" instead of "e-mah-gine".

Oh and why is "j" pronounced like "g" and vice versa in English and French? It's the same with "e" and "i". I always have to pause when I spell and visualise the word.

Ugh "s" and "z". Why don't they decide once and for all that "s" is superior to "z" and use it?

In French the letter "i" is pronounced like an English long vowel "e" unless it's butt up against another vowel. Then the combination of vowels will create different sounds, reliant on order and combination of vowels. Also, the letters "g" and "j" are pronounced the same way which is similar but slightly different from the more hard, abrupt English pronunciation of the letter "j".

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

English is a Germanic language, which is a branch of the Indoeuropean family of languages, also including the Romance (Latin-bases) languages
    Yes, that is true. I meant in terms of vocabulary. Our grammar is derived from Germanic languages, but the vocab is largely Latinate.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Why is answer pronounced anser?
    'Wednesday' is one like this. I hear so many foreign speakers pronounce it phonetically which is rather funny

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Kat View Post
    "Mint" and "Pint". Why don't they rhyme?
    They probably do somewhere. Each accent has different rhyming words. In much of the US 'scone' rhymes with 'cone' but it doesn't in New Zealand (instead it rhymes with 'gone'). Also in New Zealand increasingly people are pronouncing 'shear', 'share' and 'sheer' the same, and 'ferry' and 'fairy' are becoming indistinguishable.

This is the reason why more phonetic spelling would never work for English, because you have to ask, "phonetic for whom?"

Anyway here's some stupid ones:
    - bony (instead of boney)
    - science (a blatant break in the practically useless 'i before e, except after c" rule)
    - environment and parliament (because no one pronounces all the letters and all it does is make it difficult to spell)
    - overwhelmed (because there is no underwhelmed - which would be very useful)
    - cough, slough, through, though, thorough, ought (how many different ways can you pronounce 'ough'?)
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    'Wednesday' is one like this. I hear so many foreign speakers pronounce it phonetically which is rather funny
    Good one!
    parliament
    This one I pronounce parl(long vowel e)ament. Not sure why. The funny thing is that parliament originated from the French verb parler, which is to speak.

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    In French the letter "i" is pronounced like an English long vowel "e" unless it's butt up against another vowel. Then the combination of vowels will create different sounds, reliant on order and combination of vowels. Also, the letters "g" and "j" are pronounced the same way which is similar but slightly different from the more hard, abrupt English pronunciation of the letter "j".
    Yep I didn't want to go into the details. :P

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Yes, that is true. I meant in terms of vocabulary. Our grammar is derived from Germanic languages, but the vocab is largely Latinate.
    True.

One of the most interesting things I learned in one of my linguistics classes was this: Germanic words in English tend to be words pretaining to very basic requirements of life, whereas Latinate words tend to be used for abstractions, culture things like that. For example, when you think of livestock, the word for the animal tends to be Germanic (cow, pig, chicken, etc) whereas the word for the food product tends to be Latinate (beef, pork, poultry, etc). Interesting.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/