Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    This can appear as destabilizing and disruptive, but for me (and not at all implied for others) I am okay with working through that frustration openly-as the most important thing is finding what is True, even if I personally dont LIKE that truth and the implications it tells me about myself.
    This.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

It doesn't take that much work. That stuff is mostly noise and posturing.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I dunno I think ENTPs, ENTJs, INTJs, INTPs, ENFPs, ESTPs, and ESFPs don't avoid confrontation, as a general rule, though I guess some shyer ENFPs with less Te would.

ExFJs don't avoid confrontation, but are more likely to "pick their battles" based upon what they think is the best Fe thing to do.

MBTI
    ----

debate/argument is wonderful. it is important to test one's ideas/assumptions.

i am also an unashamed tiff voyeur.
    watching people make arses of themselves never gets old.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    But for Generation Y, social competence isnt really a strength. It's more egoism there.
    I'm inclined to agree with this, I listened to a gloomy radio adaptation of a book called The Winter of Disconnect about one family's experience when they disconnect from the digital world (although I think they also dispensed with mobile phones and communication that way too), there is a great measure of nostalgic rumination about earlier times (one of the kids took up collecting LPs and playing them on a scratchy record player and they all spent more time talking and playing board games together) but I think that while online social media may have transformed social intercourse, perhaps not completely for the better, there are pluses too.

In The Conquest of Happiness Bertrand Russell discusses the misery of intellectually solitary individuals, now I think he was talking primarily about his own experiences when he describes isolated philosophical or opinionated individuals in rural settings which they are culturally at odds with but he pretty much says he doesnt hold out much hope for this particular sort of misery disappearing until some kind of new way to communicate and connect emerges, he couldnt have guessed at the internet at the time he was writing.

There's been a huge amount of trends which combine to create the problem which you're talking about, which I really and truly think is the problem of the age (the desire to engage with this has determined my choice of career, reading, personal philosophy, ideology, much of my thinking is given over to it), lousy parenting, an aging populace, alienation, estrangement and sharp, sharp declines in social conscience or consciousness are to blame too but not simply social media.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    - Some people actually enjoy conflict and see it as an optimal way of engaging or learning or entertaining themselves.
    Yeah them! I God Damned hate them! There's got to be some way to kettle the lot of them and then shoot them one by one by one.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Interesting. It does seem that INFJ's are very sensitive to conflict. Do you think?
    Indeed-ipty-do. My INFJ sis always gets an annoyed look on her face and impatiently asks why me and my mother must argue all the time, my mum and I break from the rousing debate we were totally enjoying and look at each other confused. What one sees as conflict another can see as thought provoking.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Argueing, I think that's something people who have a similar breed of intelligence tend to do.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Apparently that's considered a pretty high level of intelligence in our culture, seeing as that my AP English teacher my senior year informed us that her primary goal was to make us be able to form cohesive arguments even for things we didn't believe by year's end.

Also, lawyers are pretty fucking high paid people.

I've always thought rude and witty banter was hilarious, since I was a child. I've always thought a certain kind of arguing was funny, as long as there is some restraint to it.

The problem comes when one or both parties get out of hand with personal garbage.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I also think there's the Fi need to point out the elephant in the living room. INFPs have alluded to that on this forum, but I think it's true that strong Fi types will have this urge to talk about things that people are trying to ignore or repress.