User Tag List

First 1234 Last

I wish "argue" didn't always carry such a negative connotation.

Sometimes I wonder if the negative connotations have led people to cease exchanging ideas and remain ignorant.

This place would be better if more people came here to argue.

By "argue" i simply mean the dictionary definition:

1. To put forth reasons for or against; debate.
    2. To attempt to prove by reasoning; maintain or contend.
    3. To give evidence of; indicate.
    4. To persuade or influence (another), as by presenting reasons.

I'm on a quest to reclaim "argue" as a good and decent word.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    IMHO:

1. Better to have bad breath than no breath. In other words, bad attention is better than none at all. Disputing can get you attention quickly and easily and requires less vulnerability.
    2. Disagreements are easier when you are mediated by words and screens. Face to face and without anonymity people tend to get along better. For example, I am actually fairly nice in person. I sometimes forget that I'm talking to another person when I join in an argument.
    Never thought about the second sentence of your first point, Synarch, but that makes complete sense. INFJs tend to just withdraw and do without the attention part if too much vulnerability is the issue. Negative attention makes my stomach churn. It's taken awhile to get to the point where I see that sometimes negative interaction can actually be productive.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I wish "argue" didn't always carry such a negative connotation.

Sometimes I wonder if the negative connotations have led people to cease exchanging ideas and remain ignorant.

This place would be better if more people came here to argue.

By "argue" i simply mean the dictionary definition:

1. To put forth reasons for or against; debate.
    2. To attempt to prove by reasoning; maintain or contend.
    3. To give evidence of; indicate.
    4. To persuade or influence (another), as by presenting reasons.

I'm on a quest to reclaim "argue" as a good and decent word.
    Good luck on your quest, as I agree that arguing has brought itself a negative connotation. I feel like the OP questions 'bickering' more than arguing, as arguing can be constructive, entertaining, and doesn't have to hurt anyone's feelings. But then again bickering can be considered as pointless arguing...I think it's just a vague term in general when it comes to positive or negative connotations.

Well I think many folks have already pointed out aspects that are very important in why it might be perceived to be arguing.

An additional point-I view the topic as one I am very interested in thus I seek out open debate and discussion. This means disagreement over ideas which is good as it forces everyone involved to come closer to some version of what is really "true". However in the process, since the topic involves our own minds and worldviews, as well as life experiences, it will create frustration, angst and sensitivity at times, especially if dealing with a value based discussion. This can appear as destabilizing and disruptive, but for me (and not at all implied for others) I am okay with working through that frustration openly-as the most important thing is finding what is True, even if I personally dont LIKE that truth and the implications it tells me about myself.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I actually haven't seem much arguing. Granted i am new. But everyone seems to be getting along. Or are at least nice to me. I googled Typologycentral and a lot of people think that the people here are ass holes, i have yet seen any of these statements ring true. Maybe some people just don't like to be broken down or are inflexible to new ideas?
    "To me a hellish truth is better than a heavenly lie."
    - Dizalddin during the War of Analonas.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Dizalddin View Post
    I googled Typologycentral and a lot of people think that the people here are ass holes, i have yet seen any of these statements ring true.
    Hahaahaa! Funny. I am quite picky about the forums I join and stay. So far, this is the second. There are some trollish behavior from time to time, but no, the people here aren't assholes. I guess the statement tells more about the person who said it than the people here.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Dizalddin View Post
    I actually haven't seem much arguing. Granted i am new. But everyone seems to be getting along. Or are at least nice to me. I googled Typologycentral and a lot of people think that the people here are ass holes, i have yet seen any of these statements ring true. Maybe some people just don't like to be broken down or are inflexible to new ideas?
    Which people? Who actually spends time talking about other forums? (besides INTPc which is owned by the same guy who owns this forum and many members are registered on both sites with the same name anyways)

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Never thought about the second sentence of your first point, Synarch, but that makes complete sense. INFJs tend to just withdraw and do without the attention part if too much vulnerability is the issue. Negative attention makes my stomach churn. It's taken awhile to get to the point where I see that sometimes negative interaction can actually be productive.
    Interesting. It does seem that INFJ's are very sensitive to conflict. Do you think?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

It's just incredibly draining and tedious.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Interesting. It does seem that INFJ's are very sensitive to conflict. Do you think?
    Yes, I've noticed that INFJs seem to want to avoid conflict. That's another reason why I started to think I might not be one.