User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Something about this movies is very annoying. I think its Billy Crystal. Despite this I am glad for Jack Palance getting some recognition as a top rate character actor by the Academy (although still uncomfortable that this picture was the vehicle for it)
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I really like the majority of Back to the Future... but I thought the slowly-vanishing people (head first, then body) in the photograph -- while obviously used as a plot device to force Marty to play for the Dance and drive things along -- was just kind of stupid in how it was handled.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I hope Bruno Kirby and Jack Palance's ghosts haunt you tonight.

Watched Vicky Cristina Barcelona last night, because it was on Showtime, which we're getting for free right now. Was immediately frustrated because I feel like with a lot of Woody Allen movies, the scenes and dialogue are so contrived. You know exactly what he wants you to know; no surprises, no flow. And then the characters speak in that contrived Woody Allen way that's supposed to seem more natural, while a lot of the time all they're doing is laying down the exposition. I will say, though, when Penelope Cruz came on, she was excellent, and made me forget I was watching the same movie. She was a real person, instead of a Woody Allen character.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I hope Bruno Kirby and Jack Palance's ghosts haunt you tonight.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't necessarily hate this scene, but it always makes me cry because of the sheer brutality of it.

The first like ten minutes of Irreversible, when they're in the club and the guy is getting his face bashed in with a fire extinguisher.

They hold nothing back on the 'reality' of the experience and while i love the movie as a whole because of how powerful it is, this scene actually disturbs me more than the infamous rape scene.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It takes real skill to take awesome story material and manage to make it as boring and meaningless as hell.
    srsly.
    And it takes twice as much skill to determine that from seeing 20 minutes of the film.

I thought the sex scene in Watchmen was stupid too, but it didn't stand out because I thought that movie was pretty consistently bad. Except for the opening credit sequence. That was pretty great.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The first twenty minutes or so of the movie were excellent, actually. (tension, mystery, suspense, fear.)
    ...Then the movie went somewhere else.

IMO, Shyamalan spent two years honing Sixth Sense, working out all the kinks, and it definitely shows in the finished work. He also only gave himself a small cameo that was appropriate for an unknown director, and he played that part well.

Since then, his ego has just gotten bigger, his cameos have gotten larger, his pre-production efforts have lessened, and his finished movies have gotten progressively worse. He can still create scenes of power (the first few minutes of The Happening were also excellent and eerie as hell)... but typically his movies lose focus as well as a sense of what a real payoff needs to be to create a sense of completion in the viewer; with the Happening, the main characters merely seemed pushed through the story from behind... and then it ends deus ex machina. It's kind of hard to be invested in characters where their efforts meant nothing and they were just pawns of the plot. The audience was forced into a very passive role.

I didn't even bother with The Last Airbender. Even my teenage son said it was so bad he and his friends actually heckled all the plot and character holes during the entire movie.

The best thing that could happen to Shyamalan at this point would be to lose his Hollywood access and credibility and have to make simple movies on a low budget that HAD to be good if he were to succeed. Right now he just seems to indulge his fancies wherever they take him.
    His nephew was in my Physics class this last summer. Even he thought it was time for Shyamalan to sit down after the Last Airbender.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Just about any scene between Keanu Reeves and a female actress showing mutual romantic affection between each other. Cant remember ever feeling the chemistry.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"