User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    Breakfast at Tiffany's - I only just saw this the other day. I did miss the very beginning. The Holly character was incredibly annoying and everything she stood for was blech-worthy. The Japanese landlord caricature sealed the deal. I thought this movie was terrible. I hear that the book is better.
    Oh, my goodness, YES. Thank you! It's just a very strange movie, and not in a good way. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to like that movie, just because it's a classic and I wonder what I'm missing. Loved Audrey's style, but hated the rest.

I have had similar frustration with Woody Allen movies. I understand that I'm supposed to like them--we're ALL supposed to like them--but I don't. People I think are funny think he's funny, but I have never laughed at any moment during a Woody Allen movie. And I can't stand how the characters talk over each other incessantly. If I enjoyed that, I'd watch The View. It also irritates me that hot women are apparently throwing themselves at him at every turn. Ego, much?
    Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJE_6zU9qD8"]NSFW[/YOUTUBE]

This shit was stupid.
    But you've got to admit they found just about the most awkward piece of music to have sex to. That takes talent.

Senior Member Digital Demi-Fiend's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3

When I saw that in theaters, I was enjoying the movie intently until that scene occurred, when it did, I couldn't stop repeating "What." to myslef.

You mean... wat?

violaine

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I have had similar frustration with Woody Allen movies. I understand that I'm supposed to like them--we're ALL supposed to like them--but I don't. People I think are funny think he's funny, but I have never laughed at any moment during a Woody Allen movie. And I can't stand how the characters talk over each other incessantly. If I enjoyed that, I'd watch The View. It also irritates me that hot women are apparently throwing themselves at him at every turn. Ego, much?
    Ugh, yes. I have only really enjoyed one of the Woody Allen movies I've seen. I agree about his seemingly incessant, ridiculous match-ups. His movies feel to me like watching propaganda and I haven't seen all of them for that reason. It's either a May/December romance (where the man is always older and the woman younger) or him with women who are so fall-off-of-your-seat attractive that it's hard for me not to believe we are being subjected to his boring sexual fantasy world. I did see "You Will Meet a Tall, Dark Stranger" and while I can't say I actually enjoyed it, it was good to see something more real in that the ridiculous May/December relationship in the movie was hollow and disastrous.

Hmm, maybe this should have gone in the rants thread. :-)

violaine

This shit was stupid.
    When I saw that in theaters, I was enjoying the movie intently until that scene occurred, when it did, I couldn't stop repeating "What." to myslef.
    + 1, so bad.

I don't know who picked the music for that soundtrack but they must have had a lot of love for Leonard Cohen. I recall "First We Take Manhattan" played over the end credits. Not the more popular version by Jennifer Warnes mind you but Cohen's own weird, New Wave-y version made a year or two after Warnes'.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by violaine View Post
    + 1, so bad.
    It was so bad i actually got embarrassed watching it at the movies.

I cringed

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    549 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've always hated the bookend scenes to "Saving Private Ryan," to the point where I felt like they ruined the movie.

Why? Because rather than it being some triumphant SJ call to patriotism and living up to your great responsibilities as a citizen, I had to approach it from an NP psychological perspective: The guy is still around fifty years after his friends died, and he's still crying over wondering if he was worth it and has to ask his wife if he's a good man. By that point, he should be confident in the fact he is.

What Tom Hanks' character said to Ryan as he died ("earn it") was probably the most psychologically cruel remark someone could make to someone else in this world... and fifty years later, the guy was still torturing himself over it. So much for unconditional love and sacrifice, jerks. If you can't give your life to someone without trying to get something out of them in return, don't bother giving it at all.

It really upsets me, because otherwise the movie is just one of the best films I've ever seen in my life -- acting, writing, directing, cinematography. It's amazing. That movies has some of the best supporting actors in the business putting out their best performances... and even a few who are solid but not elite (like Tom Sizemore) putting out their best performances as well.

<<Watchmen love scene>>
    This shit was stupid.
    I only got through about twenty minutes of that movie on DVD, then never finished watching the rental.

It takes real skill to take awesome story material and manage to make it as boring and meaningless as hell.
    srsly.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I liked Watchman and Woody Allan movies are moderately funny in general.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639