6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Agreed.

We should send Marm to Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Well-equipped with naked cats.

Marm and her army of naked cats, fighting stupidity the world over!

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

would most likely end up with a rape and exorcism
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

After that, she is all the more fierce.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

The Uganda Anti-Homosexuality Bill is pretty scary. It was introduced after a visit from American fundamentalists preaching about the dangers of homosexuality. The original version included the death penalty for repeat offenders, which has since been reduced to mere life imprisonment. The bill also requires anyone who is aware of homosexual activity to report it to the government within 24 hours or face criminal charges. The bill specifies extradition and felony charges for Ugandans practicing homosexuality in a foreign country. One of the stated primary rationales for the bill has been to protect children from homosexual predation (a fear based on flawed studies presented to the Ugandans by unlicensed conversion therapist Richard Cohen).

The bill has not yet become law, perhaps in part due to international pressure. David Bahati, the sponsor of the bill, continues his efforts to get the bill passed.

Given all that, it's a little hard to laugh at the fear mongering in the video, especially since it is, in part, our own (the US's) fear/digust mongering exported. It's just less polished than the way we do it at home.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    It's funny until you realise that some African countries have the death penalty for being homosexual and others carry long jail sentences. A lot relies on people not understanding sexuality and misinformation like this makes it impossible for gays to survive in their birth country.
    This was pretty much my reaction too. At first it is funny, but then it is pathetic and sad when you see that the people in this video are listening and seem to actually believe what he's saying.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFP

My reaction wasn't like many of you guys, I actually felt pretty sad. As a homosexual, it kinda just hit me in the face - that there are people who seem to dislike me so much. I could never understand it, there are people teaching other people to avoid me when I have done nothing wrong. If they were strangers on the street, I would say hi to them. Why won't they do the same for me? I want to provide people with better living conditions, to help, but how can I when they disregard me as useless?

And honestly, I felt pretty disgusting. It was gut-wrenching - the things he described seemed sarcastic at first, but always have a hint of truth. It's a bit hard to accept really. Maybe I am a bad person? I don't know.

You guys might have laughed at how ridiculous it is, but it's like satire to me. It hits you like a frisbee. Sigh.

Oh well, I will try my best to cleanse homophobia. I think that the younger generations are definitely more accepting - with the internet, us gay teens are able to connect in a way parents would have never imagined. If I didn't have the internet, I honestly would think I would have suicided. It's not cool when everyone around you say being gay is wrong, and you should avoid them at all costs - and then you have to live a lie. It's awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ming View Post
    And honestly, I felt pretty disgusting. It was gut-wrenching - the things he described seemed sarcastic at first, but always have a hint of truth. It's a bit hard to accept really. Maybe I am a bad person? I don't know.
    You should direct all the abhorrence your Fi can muster not toward your sexuality but toward their opinion of it. In fact, it will not help you to even consider their point of view.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    You should direct all the abhorrence your Fi can muster not toward your sexuality but toward their opinion of it. In fact, it will not help you to even consider their point of view.
    This.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I should do more research on what is already understood about the nature of sexually based hatred. That meeting, along with milder versions I've experienced, is a strongly sexual dynamic. When a leader is excited and shouting and showing explicit sexual images and everyone is saying "no! no! evil! taboo!" types of things, it is a sexual dynamic the group is experiencing. Having the children explicitly leave the room after all the taboos they are concerned about were already spoken, also adds to a heightened sense of something. Why were children there at all? My impression was that the speaker and probably others were sexually aroused at the meeting by the subject matter which serves as a subconscious motivation. Or even if the people aren't aroused by choice, being as explicit as possible can elicit arousal making the people more afraid of being targeted, etc.

It has never made sense to me to feel anger and hatred towards someone else's sexuality and private life. I also think people don't know what others do in the bedroom on an individual basis. What a horrible violation to have people judge your private life based on their own imaginations.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Annwn View Post
    What a horrible violation to have people judge your private life based on their own imaginations.
    Well said.