User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default How do YOU achieve peace?

I have a problem feeling peaceful. I seem to be either manic and inflated like a balloon bouncing all over creation or deflated and pathetic. I would like to be able to achieve calm and peace on occasion. It seems to help if I slow...down...my...thoughts. I also try to make myself comfortable since I've noticed that I get morbid and existential if I simply feel tired, hungry, sleepy, or otherwise uncomfortable.

So, what works for you? What restores your calm if feeling anxious? What relaxes you? (Bonus points if you're an ENXP).
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Try to see all of your actions like you have no control over them.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Try to see all of your actions like you have no control over them.
    Can you elaborate?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Well, that's what happened to me last night when I couldn't sleep. I've been trying to get there occationally, and when it works it will put me in a place where I don't care about my choices or thoughts that much. Like, now I am writing here to you and I don't know why and it doesn't really matter because that's what I do. I am also whistling a song, and I don't know why I chose to whistle, or why I chose that song. I can feel I am in a slightly uncomfortable position and I don't have the motivation to rearrange the pillows so that it would be more comfortable. Why? That's what I do, that's why.

Basically, the idea is to trust yourself to be an operational being without thinking too much about it.

MBTI
    ENTP

So, basically, don't think too much. Yes?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

In a way, yes. But you should also consider your thoughts as something you have no control over.

This christmas I found a really good shortcut for this state. We went to a cabin in the middle of nowhere and it was something like -25 celcius all the time, so all that we could do there was to keep the fire burning to stay warm, make food, and get drinking water from the frozen river. It was so close to the basics that the slow pace took a hold of us all, and I felt like in meditation for several days after we came back.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    In a way, yes. But you should also consider your thoughts as something you have no control over.
    That's a good way to look at it.

This christmas I found a really good shortcut for this state. We went to a cabin in the middle of nowhere and it was something like -25 celcius all the time, so all that we could do there was to keep the fire burning to stay warm, make food, and get drinking water from the frozen river. It was so close to the basics that the slow pace took a hold of us all, and I felt like in meditation for several days after we came back.
    I was watching "Intervention" recently and this alcoholic mother after rehab went from a sales position where she felt stressed and the work was very non-concrete to having what she called a "recovery" job of working in a photo lab and dealing with people. Where the work was concrete and fixed. It makes sense that we might get some benefit from focusing on the basics of life. It doesn't help that I have a lot of idle time and my work is very cerebral and I work alone. I often think I might be happier if I were working with people somehow. Directly and face to face. When I consider the times when I felt most at peace it was during times like you describe, in nature with other people doing really basic shit.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I was watching "Intervention" recently and this alcoholic mother after rehab went from a sales position where she felt stressed and the work was very non-concrete to having what she called a "recovery" job of working in a photo lab and dealing with people. Where the work was concrete and fixed. It makes sense that we might get some benefit from focusing on the basics of life.
    I've been thinking of this a lot lately, since it is the time of the year when the schools start taking applications, and I am considering two schools with quite different agendas. The other one is the "smart choice" that would basically quarantee my income, the other one is more artistic and less secure financially. Still, it feels like psychologically more secure for me. Which is kinda weird.

The pressure to make the smart choice is quite high, and there's also some kind of a pressure that we really really need to be as much as we can be professionally, which I find quite strange nowadays, but still can't get rid of the feeling. It's like I ought to think I will let someone down by being just comfortable not being some sort of a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    It doesn't help that I have a lot of idle time and my work is very cerebral and I work alone. I often think I might be happier if I were working with people somehow. Directly and face to face. When I consider the times when I felt most at peace it was during times like you describe, in nature with other people doing really basic shit.
    If possible, I think you should counter the work day overstimulation with something like walking in the nature. It works for me when I feel too hyper.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I've noticed when I'm feeling a bit manic and bouncing all over the place pacing my breathing helps. If I slow my breathing down and take deeper breaths it calms me down. Also reading has a way of relaxing me and slowing my train of thought down. Sometimes it's the only way I can get to sleep. If I distract my mind with something else like reading or watching a movie, then I stop thinking about everything I think needs to be accomplished that night.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I try to find my 'center'. It's a place where I know where I'm standing and my mind is clear and ready to be directed. I have a ritual for this, it's a series of movements that we did in Hapkido to focus our Chi. Hokum or not, I did it so many times when focus was necessary that the necessary response is automatic. It even helps if I only perform the movements in my mind.