User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

I like Vasilisa's post a lot.

Another thing that's different from what's been suggested so far (distraction through movies/reading, yoga/meditation, and physical exercise) is affirmations. They seemed corny/cheesy at first, but lately they've really helped to make me feel peaceful rather than anxious.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Unkindloving View Post
    Toned down indie music (Cat Power / Emily Haines / Bat For Lashes- etc).
    Going for a drive or a walk.
    Exercising and Yoga.
    Talking with someone important to me.
    Some aspect of nature- the ocean at night does this for me.
    lol My process of eating oranges/tangerines/etc - combination of how long I take to nitpick at them and the aromatherapy of the citrus.
    Good practices you have there. I especially like the talking with someone important. That is centering, isn't it? And the ocean at night sounds magical. Stars reflected in the water. The waves slapping a rhythm against the sands as they've always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    I rarely have to achieve peace, it's with me 95% of the time. u jelly?
    I jelly. I envy your jelly.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I've escaped reality a long time with movies and music, finding back so then into reality or finding something in reality that intrests me again was ultimatively difficult. Now I find peace with my girlfriend and she is the one that makes life intresting for me at all. She's my peace now and my point of refugee.
    I just went and watched "You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger". Made me feel really good. Woody Allen really captures the complexity of human relationships. At least the tangled, selfish bits.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Try cycling with some uphill time. Does the trick for me.
    I bet. Do you have a lot of hills in Veneto?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

With superior firepower.

Sorry had to add if no one had already.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

^ I thought you Europeans hated guns?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    It's unlikely anyone here pays enough attention to me to notice, but I apologize in advance if I seem a bit "one-note" lately. I'm reading/meditating on the subject of creative concentration as of late, so it may be like I have a hammer and every topic someone posts on life dissatisfaction is appearing as a nail to me right now. Basically, I just wanted to ask if you still have your creative outlets. How do they make you feel these days?
    You really cut to the chase there. Creating has always helped me and I have done very little of it lately. When I was younger and felt a lot of turmoil in my life, I often worked it out through drawing. By drawing and making, I was able to calm my mind and enter this trance-like state where I felt like I was just the channel for something that was within me, but not me. If that makes sense. It made me feel connected to something mysterious and ineffable. Strangely, the mind state of creation is hard for me to enter because in some way it requires me to be, hmm, open and receptive. And for some reason, it is hard for me to let go and trust enough to do that. I feel like posting here sometimes allows me to access that part but more indirectly. I will have to think on that. I have been doing some writing and I do occasionally paint on my iPad, but it doesn't feel "real" enough.

So, I'll tell you about another place and time, when I was not challenged, I was painfully stagnating, and to make things worse I was trapped in a very poisonous, inescapable psycho-drama that was wreaking havoc on my sensitive, harmony-loving nature.
    Hmm. Yeah.

I live next to a mountain, and taking walks on it helped. But what I really threw myself into was folding paper. The kind of origami that is called unit origami, usually comprised of making the same shape over and over, and finally assembling all the units and all the connector pieces into one beautiful, complex formation. Just sitting there, moving my hands, making repeated clean, precise folds on small pieces of paper. I didn't sit there and contemplate what I was going through, or the psyches of the people I was dealing with, or the possible futures or outcomes or contingencies (all these things being my habit). My brain went on no-channel. There was only the movement and the action. I did this every night, I didn't talk to anyone, listen or look at anything. Folding the paper was what mattered. I assembled them, too, although that can be slightly frustrating because it can be like a puzzle in 3-D. But I assembled them to get the units out of the way, so I could make more. I gave the finished products away to people who were nice to me. I gave them away without any real reason and without any pride. I didn't care about keeping them one bit. It wasn't about the interesting polyhedron formation or the pretty paper or the presentation to another person. It was the process of folding paper that I was getting something out of. It was putting me in a state of mind.
    Yes! That is what it feels like exactly when I draw. I just focus on shading and cross hatching and it's like a state where consciousness smooths out and drops away.

People are good, of course, loving people around you can help when you are feeling lost. And maybe this is purely an introvert thing, but sometimes they simply cannot. No matter how dear they are to you, or you to them. People can't always get me out of my head, I can't expect them to be the answer for me all the time.
    Very wise. I learned somewhere along the way to depend on other people to help me get through, but, you're right, they can't always help you.

I know this quote seems emo and grim and so forever alone, but sometimes it fits:
    There was a door
    And I could not open it. I could not touch the handle.
    Why could I not walk out of my prison?
    What is hell? Hell is oneself,
    Hell is alone, the other figures in it
    Merely projections. There is nothing to escape from
    And nothing to escape to. One is always alone.
    T.S. Eliot
    and those times when that fits are the times that we have to find a way in, rather than out. I hope this makes some kind of sense. I hope this relates to what you were asking.
    Thanks for sharing that.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    ^ I thought you Europeans hated guns?
    We just think that not every idiot ought to have one.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I guess its good you don't then...

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I guess its good you don't then...
    You should share how you achieve a peaceful state, DB.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The more I focus on doing for others the happier I am.

MBTI
    ENTP

Purple haze on blaze.