User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I've been thinking of this a lot lately, since it is the time of the year when the schools start taking applications, and I am considering two schools with quite different agendas. The other one is the "smart choice" that would basically quarantee my income, the other one is more artistic and less secure financially. Still, it feels like psychologically more secure for me. Which is kinda weird.
    What about it feels more psychologically secure?

If possible, I think you should counter the work day overstimulation with something like walking in the nature. It works for me when I feel too hyper.
    Good advice.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    I've noticed when I'm feeling a bit manic and bouncing all over the place pacing my breathing helps. If I slow my breathing down and take deeper breaths it calms me down. Also reading has a way of relaxing me and slowing my train of thought down. Sometimes it's the only way I can get to sleep. If I distract my mind with something else like reading or watching a movie, then I stop thinking about everything I think needs to be accomplished that night.
    I have a hard time with this one. Reading does help, though. Reading takes my mind off unpleasant things.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    I try to find my 'center'. It's a place where I know where I'm standing and my mind is clear and ready to be directed. I have a ritual for this, it's a series of movements that we did in Hapkido to focus our Chi. Hokum or not, I did it so many times when focus was necessary that the necessary response is automatic. It even helps if I only perform the movements in my mind.
    So you trained yourself to enter a peaceful state?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    So you trained yourself to enter a peaceful state?
    Yup, but it wasn't intended, at least not by me. In class, before we worked on very trying drills and needed good concentration to get good technique. As part of a ceremonial opening we'd do this movement: bring our chi to our center, focus it outward, and take a relaxed stance. Did several times two nights a week for several years. Results were required, so you *had* to be in a centered mental state. So, now it works for me in a variety of non combat related situations. It's the power of ritual.

MBTI
    ENTP

Yup, but it wasn't intended, at least not by me. In class, before we worked on very trying drills and needed good concentration to get good technique. As part of a ceremonial opening we'd do this movement: bring our chi to our center, focus it outward, and take a relaxed stance. Did several times two nights a week for several years. Results were required, so you *had* to be in a centered mental state. So, now it works for me in a variety of non combat related situations. It's the power of ritual.
    Interesting. I have like evil rituals. Obsessive thinking patterns. Maybe I need new rituals. I tried yoga for a bit, but didn't find it all that useful although the poses were the same each time. Maybe I should try something like this again.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Yoga.
    Pranayama.
    Aerobic exercise.
    Less caffeine.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Interesting. I have like evil rituals. Obsessive thinking patterns. Maybe I need new rituals. I tried yoga for a bit, but didn't find it all that useful although the poses were the same each time. Maybe I should try something like this again.
    I've never done yoga.. but it might help to note that sitting meditation technically calms me, but it doesn't make me feel peaceful (It's hard to explain) *shrug* maybe it would if I did it for a number of years. I'm guessing poses would give me the same result. This thing I do is just a way of telling myself to get it together, there's some shit that needs to be done.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Yoge is physical. It makes you sweat.
    It will 'non-technically' calm you

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Yoge is physical. It makes you sweat.
    It will 'non-technically' calm you
    I wasn't doubting the physicality of Yoga, just stating I'm not sure if I could get into a peaceful medative state with it. It's more of an internal focus, that's why I'm equating it with sitting meditation.

MBTI
    ENTP

I wasn't doubting the physicality of Yoga, just stating I'm not sure if I could get into a peaceful medative state with it. It's more of an internal focus, that's why I'm equating it with sitting meditation.
    The most calm I usually feel is when I am completely spent physically. I remember I spent one day just moving. Boxes and boxes. Flights of stairs. Neverending. Then I sat down and just felt so damn peaceful. I about melted into my seat. I wish I could summon that again.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The most calm I usually feel is when I am completely spent physically. I remember I spent one day just moving. Boxes and boxes. Flights of stairs. Neverending. Then I sat down and just felt so damn peaceful. I about melted into my seat. I wish I could summon that again.
    Yup, that's definitely a good feeling.. that kind of grind kills that anything but the present. It's definitely replicatable.