Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mask Manifest View Post
    I took a tour of a jail recently and noticed that the majority of the inmates were non-white. This isn't because white people are less inclined to commit crimes, but obviosly because most of the population in low-income/high crime rate areas are non-white, which is a differnt discussion in and of itself. Your chances of being the victim of a non-serial killer who isn't white is probably higher than your chances of being killed by a white serial killer, but again, that's not really an issue of race as much as environmental factors.
    Yes, which is why it can be used for sociological questioning. If people of certain races have a common sociological experience, then that's why those people, for example, end up in jail more often or are more likely to be serial killers. It isn't because of their skin color, it's because of their social or cultural experience.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    According to this article http://www.all-about-forensic-psycho...l-killers.html

It states: The racial diversification of serial killers generally mirrors that of the overall U.S. population.
    Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

In addition to the racial myth, I found this particularly noteworthy.

Myth: Serial Killers Are Dysfuntional Loners

The majority of serial killers are not reclusive, social misfits who live alone. They are not monsters and may not appear strange. Many serial killers hide in plain sight within their communities. Serial murderers often have families and homes, are gainfully employed, and appear to be normal members of the community. Because many serial murderers can blend in so effortlessly, they are oftentimes overlooked by law enforcement and the public.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm sorry, but I don't think five people makes the racial incongruity a myth.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't think five people makes the racial incongruity a myth.
    Who are the five people you are talking about? The article said that "135 renowned experts attended the five-day event." I think their point of view is a little more valid than Hollywood's.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Who are the five people you are talking about? The article said that "135 renowned experts attended the five-day event." I think their point of view is a little more valid than Hollywood's.
    There have been well over 300 white male serial killers, and under 100 black serial killers. This isn't about Hollywood. I'm saying the five people they decided to include in the example.

There is an exhaustive study of African American serial killers (Homicide Studies 2005; 9; 271) by criminologist Anthony Walsh, and also Eric W. Hickey's book, Serial killers and their victims, Brooks/Cole, 1997.

Walsh identified 90 African American and 323 white American serial murderers, all men operating between 1945 and 2004.
    The reason why this is valid is because it isn't as simple as "welp, that's a proportionate amount of blacks to whites in the population." No, it actually begs the question of why whites tend to outnumber blacks in this particular crime, while blacks significantly outnumber whites for certain other crimes.

Epiphany

There have been well over 300 white male serial killers, and under 100 black serial killers. This isn't about Hollywood. I'm saying the five people they decided to include in the example.

There is an exhaustive study of African American serial killers (Homicide Studies 2005; 9; 271) by criminologist Anthony Walsh, and also Eric W. Hickey's book, Serial killers and their victims, Brooks/Cole, 1997.

Walsh identified 90 African American and 323 white American serial murderers, all men operating between 1945 and 2004.
    The reason why this is valid is because it isn't as simple as "welp, that's a proportionate amount of blacks to whites in the population." No, it actually begs the question of why whites tend to outnumber blacks in this particular crime, while blacks significantly outnumber whites for certain other crimes.
    In the US, 66% of the population is white. I'm not sure how this discussion went from the number of white serial killers vs non-white serial killers to the number of white serial killers vs black serial killers, in particular, but black Americans comprise 13% of the population. To say that the difference in population is irelevant to the racial divergence, in my opinion, is inaccurate. As for why black Americans represent a greater percentage of other crimes is an entirely different subject. I certainly don't have enough information to come to any conclusion, but I would assume that cultural/environmental and economic factors play the biggest role.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

In the US, 66% of the population is white. I'm not sure how this discussion went from the number of white serial killers vs non-white serial killers to the number of white serial killers vs black serial killers, in particular, but black Americans comprise 13% of the population. To say that the difference in population is irelevant to the racial divergence, in my opinion, is inaccurate. As for why black Americans represent a greater percentage of other crimes is an entirely different subject. I certainly don't have enough information to come to any conclusion, but I would assume that cultural/environmental and economic factors play the biggest role.
    I assume cultural/environmental and economic factors also play the biggest role in more serial killers being white. Apparently there's some speculation about needing a certain degree of economic standing and privacy to successfully achieve such ends over a period of time.

The reason why I compared whites to blacks is because that was the data available.

Epiphany

I assume cultural/environmental and economic factors also play the biggest role in more serial killers being white. Apparently there's some speculation about needing a certain degree of economic standing and privacy to successfully achieve such ends over a period of time.

The reason why I compared whites to blacks is because that was the data available.
    The percentage of white vs black serial killers more accurately represents the percentage of white vs black population in the US. What isn't proportionate, apparently, is the percentage involving other crimes, which I'm sure gang violence is a factor. It seems like you are suggesting that because environmental factors have caused a greater percentage of other crimes amongst the black population, then environmental factors must be the reason why the statistics of serial killers are proportionate to the general population.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The percentage of white vs black serial killers more accurately represents the percentage of white vs black population in the US. What isn't proportionate, apparently, is the percentage involving other crimes, which I'm sure gang violence is a factor. It seems like you are suggesting that because environmental factors have caused a greater percentage of other crime amongst the black population, then environmental factors must be the reason why the statistics of serial killers is proportionate to the general population.
    I think there's a reason why more serial killers are white, and it's not just because there's more white people. I think it is partly due to cultural conditioning (especially in the past) and greater likelihood of having access to economic resources and privacy.

I think it's interesting that the people most stringently denying that there MIGHT be a sociological reason why white males are disproportionately serial killers are white males themselves.

Women are also more likely to poison people. I don't presume just because I'm female that means people are accusing me of being a poisoner.

Epiphany

I think it's interesting that the people most stringently denying that there MIGHT be a sociological reason why white males are disproportionately serial killers are white males themselves.
    That's the thing though. Aside from the gender slant, white males are not disproportionately inclined to be serial killers in relation to the overall population. Didn't we just talk about this?

I think the question you're trying to ask is, why aren't white males proportionately committing other crimes like they are proportionately committing serial murders. Is that correct?